joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think DPs in the 70-75 range are a safe bet by later tomorrow...not that it will matter

That seems like a reasonable guess.

I realize this is only one location but GFS is 15+ degrees too high with dewpoints at ORD right now while the NAM is about 3-4 degrees too high.

That seems like a reasonable guess.

I realize this is only one location but GFS is 15+ degrees too high with dewpoints at ORD right now while the NAM is about 3-4 degrees too high.

yep bone dry out...ribbon of moist air just getting to the mississippi and transport vectors look favorable. The upper 70s to low 80s DPs were always out to lunch but I think we can manage the low 70s.

90/44 at Goshen at present. Really interested in seeing what the max temp and dewpoint will be Thursday and whether a MCS forms somewhere to complicate matters. Not really all that bad out. I'll enjoy it while I can. Just put in a new window AC for the upstairs bedroom last evening. Downstairs has central air. I'm ready!

89 at FWA. It would be a shame to not be able to tack this day onto the streak after being so close.

EDIT: My new point for tomorrow - 106° :yikes:

90 at FWA. Still 88 at LAF...we used to routinely beat almost everyone in the state on days like this. Foreign feeling. ;)

We have a pretty serious drought situation unfolding here in the MW, and IMO people should be growing pretty concerned. We just came off of a VERY mild winter, melting snow provided no moisture, as we hardly got any, and the extremely dry spring, and now summer, farmers have to be biting their nails. I live out in the country next to fields of corn and beans, I have never seen the crops show so much stress this early in my life ( I'm 23 btw so i missed the 88 drought).

The forecast looks pretty well bone dry, providing minor relief. 103 here here tomorrow, and mid to upper 90's until sunday :axe:

Everyone be safe, and check on elderly neighbors if you have any.

Unlike in the past, ORD has been as warm as or warmer than MDW during all 90+ days this year.

Add another...

Day....ORD..MDW..

5/19....92......91

5/20....93......92

5/24....90......90

5/27....97......97

5/28....95......94

6/9......90......89

6/10....93......92

6/11....90......90

6/15....94......93

6/16....94......94

6/18....94......92

6/19....95......93

6/20....95......93

6/24....94......92

6/27....92......90

-----------------------

Tot......15......14..

Maybe at some crappy personal wx station/AWOS. :P

Bingo. Two problems with extrapolating the highest dewpoints in southwest Iowa this afternoon to northern Illinois, etc., tomorrow. First, most of those higher dewpoint readings were from AWOS-quality (or worse) equipment. Second, western Iowa and adjacent areas, as has been mentioned in some previous posts, have had a good deal of rain recently; for the most part, we simply have not had that around here.

Alek's call of low 70's is reasonable for this area.

For those who are wondering if we can get a pattern change any time soon, well don't expect it. The MJO is looking to either hang around in Phase 1 or go into the Circle of Death, meaning what you see is what you get for a while.

For Sure Stebo, If the MJO stays in 1 and slowly mitigates to 2, This hot/ridging pattern should continue. I believe these are also the best phases for ATL basin Tropical development as well. The MJO is actually stuck in a very "La Nina" like Atmospheric Mode, The GWO can confirm this, even though The Eq Pac is like a Nino Oceanic Wise, the ATM is very La Ninaesque. A decoupled oceanic-ATM ENSO state if you will. What is interesting, this occurred in Winter, but the Atmosphere and Ocean ENSO states had been decoupled in an opposite fashion ( Nina Oceanic State, Nino Atmospheric State)...

Bingo. Two problems with extrapolating the highest dewpoints in southwest Iowa this afternoon to northern Illinois, etc., tomorrow. First, most of those higher dewpoint readings were from AWOS-quality (or worse) equipment. Second, western Iowa and adjacent areas, as has been mentioned in some previous posts, have had a good deal of rain recently; for the most part, we simply have not had that around here.

Alek's call of low 70's is reasonable for this area.

Interestingly, ran a backwards parcel trajectory from for 18z tomorrow afternoon at ORD from the 00z NAM, and the low level parcels tomorrow should be originating from east central Missouri/southwest Illinois where the dews were in the upper 40s and lower 50s this afternoon. But that was without a weak cool front to pool some moisture along. It'll be interesting to see where they end up. There's only really been one case this month where we did get low 70s dewpoints into nrn IL, and that was 6/16.

12922_trj001.gif

Archived