• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

I didn't realize LAF was -0.1º for June through yesterday. The kicker has to be the 27th, with a -2º for the day with a max/min of 90º/53º. And five of the last nine days of June will have a negative daily departure. All in all, almost doesn't seem right with the extreme heat of the finishing three days, though the first eight days of the month were decidedly cooler than normal.

Perhaps the new climate normals have some effect as well? I know that our new June normal temp is 1.7 degrees warmer than it was last year. Right now we are running 1.9 degrees above normal at CLE. Last year this same pattern would have been + 3.6 degrees. The new climate normals haven't really helped keep the positive departures from getting too out of hand though, March and May 2012 anyone?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize LAF was -0.1º for June through yesterday. The kicker has to be the 27th, with a -2º for the day with a max/min of 90º/53º. And five of the last nine days of June will have a negative daily departure. All in all, almost doesn't seem right with the extreme heat of the finishing three days, though the first eight days of the month were decidedly cooler than normal.

I agree. We started out in the hole, then drought conditions creating massive diurnals, it seems like June was a lot warmer than the numbers show.

I didn't want to clutter up the severe thread, but nice video. You've posted multiple nice ones. I always love watching the shelf clouds roll in. You were fortunate to get over an inch. We on got a quarter of that today.

Thanks man. We all should have several more opportunities in coming days as this surface boundary waffles back and forth. Tomorrow looks pretty similar to today's setup, so we'll have to see how it all goes down.

Still thundering quite a bit as some tiny elevated cells continue to pop up all around us. I always call these "elevated trailers" in this type of setup. Almost always with a MCS/MCV you get strung out bands of elevated convection on the back side of the complex that trail the back end of the main stratiform precip area. Must be some sort of elevated convergent zone(s) that tend to align themselves parallel to the mean storm complex movement. They always seem to produce a ton of lightning as well.

Thanks man. We all should have several more opportunities in coming days as this surface boundary waffles back and forth. Tomorrow looks pretty similar to today's setup, so we'll have to see how it all goes down.

Still thundering quite a bit as some tiny elevated cells continue to pop up all around us. I always call these "elevated trailers" in this type of setup. Almost always with a MCS/MCV you get strung out bands of elevated convection on the back side of the complex that trail the back end of the main stratiform precip area. Must be some sort of elevated convergent zone(s) that tend to align themselves parallel to the mean storm complex movement. They always seem to produce a ton of lightning as well.

Yes, you right, that seems to happen a lot, but wasn't sure why. Your explanation makes sense.

I'm usually checking damages for emergency management after a storm and those little cells with all of that lightning scares me. Rain will get you wet, lightning will kill you.

After cooling to as low as 67 in the rain at 10am, we've managed to jump all the way back to 91. Getting muggy out again as well. Picked up a much needed 0.62" of rain this morning.

Pretty much the same here...

Dropped down to 67 as the storms moved through. Filtered sun came out around/just after 2PM, and it ended up rebounding to the high for the day of 89 just before 5PM.

Perhaps the new climate normals have some effect as well? I know that our new June normal temp is 1.7 degrees warmer than it was last year. Right now we are running 1.9 degrees above normal at CLE. Last year this same pattern would have been + 3.6 degrees. The new climate normals haven't really helped keep the positive departures from getting too out of hand though, March and May 2012 anyone?

LAF actually lost a tenth of a degree with the new June normals, 71.5 (new) versus 71.6 (old). And I guess for reference, from a legit site, IND in June only gained 0.3, 71.7 to 72.0. In July, IND stood pat at 75.4. The "biggest" bumps here were the winter and fall months...with the 1981-10 normals.

68F for the low...i know the "warm" front is south of us, but its still very warm...dew point at 67F. Already near 80F.

I was hoping for a record cold summer ;(

Turtle0

Really that bad over by Madison? I've been lucky to have been close enough to the Minnesota deluge...but now its been a good week+ since we have had any rain. Still need to mow the lawn again, but I bet in the next 5 days we'll start browning back up with this heat, if we don't get rain.

Riverfest starts here in a few days....almost like clockwork we get severe wx during it...we'll see.

A pretty thick patch of altocumulus is overhead right now, resulting in mostly-cloudy skies and tempering the diurnal temperature increase. Visible-satellite imagery suggests that these clouds should clear, though, within the next hour.

Same story here. Been 90% cloudy today so far. At 86°, with humid conditions. Allergies have really come back the last 3 days.

68F for the low...i know the "warm" front is south of us, but its still very warm...dew point at 67F. Already near 80F.

I was hoping for a record cold summer ;(

Turtle0

Really that bad over by Madison? I've been lucky to have been close enough to the Minnesota deluge...but now its been a good week+ since we have had any rain. Still need to mow the lawn again, but I bet in the next 5 days we'll start browning back up with this heat, if we don't get rain.

Riverfest starts here in a few days....almost like clockwork we get severe wx during it...we'll see.

I usually don't notice it but was with a biologist friend yesterday, he was pointing out dead plants and trees every 10 feet. I think the die off is just starting.

Lake Mendota is getting really nasty from all the heat, lots of life forms growing and evolving. Looks like something out of alien.

I usually don't notice it but was with a biologist friend yesterday, he was pointing out dead plants and trees every 10 feet. I think the die off is just starting.

Lake Mendota is getting really nasty from all the heat, lots of life forms growing and evolving. Looks like something out of alien.

I've notice some small trees that are suffering quite a bit. Yellowed, dry up leaves on them. The water quality in small lakes and rivers isn't too great right now - low dissolved oxygen readings. I would imagine as the water heats up and the algae chocks off the surface waters, fish kills will likely result.

Nasty.... Too bad about the trees... Those parking lot trees i feel sorry for the most...seem so neglected and when shopping, shade is always at a premium for parking spots... Need to have those things up to a drip irrigation system.

I've seen the Mississippi hit 90F before (surface temps)...talk about alien life... some communities still dump untreated sewage into the Mississippi and even treated like in La Crosse is dumped...ugh...and the people who flock there on days like today...no thanks.

It's is perfect outside! This is ideal Sparty weather. I'm sitting outside on the royal oak brewery patio with my beautiful wife and we are slowly getting hammered!! Life is good'

Nice, I passed out on the lakeshore for like 2 hours today (no alcohol involved). Awesome weather to just lay around, sober or otherwise.

Archived