joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I am quite hopeful for an interesting month, and some severe weather IMBY. I need each of you to do what you can to jinx any possibility of rain, severe weather, excessive heat, etc on June 30th in RFD, as I am getting married. I have been on the board long enough to know that as long as we start discussing the setup of the century for severe weather a week or so out, I should be fine. :thumbsup:

Hopefully welcome to some semblance of a severe weather season for this region too...

I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder if it's been as bad as it seems. There were some early, you could even say out of season events but they still count.

I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder if it's been as bad as it seems. There were some early, you could even say out of season events but they still count.

Depending on how bored I am tomorrow, I may tally up the number of reports in DTX's CWA this year compared to the 1/1-5/31 time period for the past 15 years or so. I have a feeling that we're well below average, considering the only two good days in SE Michigan thus far were 3/15 and 5/3. Today may change that, but I tend to feel it's just going to be some sporadic wind damage reports with a few hail reports thrown in for good measure.

Welcome to June!! :thumbsup:

Quite a nice way to ring in the new month!

That looks to bring some decent rain to the region! ~according to the EURO at least. I'll take it.

EURO is showing temperatures near 20° below normal on June 1st for here!

This cut-off/low is right out of the May 2011 25th-29th playbook. I find these cut-off lows wreak havoc on the late part of May and June. Late May 2001 had another notable decent cut-off event that brings back memories. The pin wheel of strati showers for 2 days is always disheartening. At least this system blows its wad on thursday/friday . This might salvage the weekend .

This cut-off/low is right out of the May 2011 25th-29th playbook. I find these cut-off lows wreak havoc on the late part of May and June. Late May 2001 had another notable decent cut-off event that brings back memories. The pin wheel of strati showers for 2 days is always disheartening. At least this system blows its wad on thursday/friday . This might salvage the weekend .

I'm going to try and enjoy the twists and turns that this year is bringing. The record warmth is getting a little old anyway. How crazy that Thursday and Friday might be cooler than many of our winter days this year.

Nice refreshing start to met summer!

Just out of curiosity, when was the last month that the majority of the midwest averaged at least 3 degrees below normal? I'm blanking on even trying to throw out a guess.

Lows like this one in early June have the ability to bring cold air funnels and waterspouts! Happened back in the early 2000s - maybe it was 2001. Could be interesting couple days.

I think you're correct. In fact, 2001 was the last time ORD had a high temp in the 50s in June.

I think you're correct. In fact, 2001 was the last time ORD had a high temp in the 50s in June.

Yeah that was it. In fact here, it was well down in the 50s for highs! First 7 days of the month... (at UGN)

64º/48º 54º/47º 54º/47º 52º/43º 52º/42º 57º/47º 63º/50º

All those days had clouds, showers and sometimes fog.

There's a good chance of Milwaukee seeing a high in the low 50s on Friday. I will have to look back and see when the last time that happened, if it ever did.

I'm guessing MKE has seen highs in the low 50s in June more often than you'd think!

When the official Chicago obs site was downtown (not ORD), this happened occasionally. For example, the high in Chicago was only 48F on 6/3/1945 and 6/1/1946. And, even in mid-June, Chicago has seen highs in the low 50s (52F on 6/15/1917).

Of course things may be different now due to UHI...

I'm guessing MKE has seen highs in the low 50s in June more often than you'd think!

When the official Chicago obs site was downtown (not ORD), this happened occasionally. For example, the high in Chicago was only 48F on 6/3/1945 and 6/1/1946. And, even in mid-June, Chicago has seen highs in the low 50s (52F on 6/15/1917).

Of course things may be different now due to UHI...

That's true. I just looked at the last 5 years, and there were about a dozen total June days with highs in the 50s, with the lowest being 54 June 10th of last year. Decent chance we match or exceed that on the low end.

JB tweeted today that temperatures will average normal to below normal for the great lakes region in June. Thing is, with it being so dry this spring, I would think that would promote heat?

1st thing came to mind was his" I nailed the 500mb". He needs to retire or write a anti AGW book. His forecasting straight up sucks as of late.

Archived