• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Point and click has a forecasted high of 61º for IND for this Friday. Would be good for a -17º daily max temperature departure. Obviously that's not far away from the 50's. If IND failed to hit 60º on Friday, it would be the first sub 60º max temp in June since 2003 (6/3: 57º). I believe there to be only 17 days that have failed to hit 60º in June throughout recorded history at Indianapolis. Playing along with the same theme, IND had only three min temps below 60º last June.

As for the record low max temp for June 1st for Indianapolis, not gonna happen...but what the heck, here are the three lowest (data back to 1871): 55º in 1889...56º in 1956...60º in 1997 (other 60º readings as well).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB tweeted today that temperatures will average normal to below normal for the great lakes region in June. Thing is, with it being so dry this spring, I would think that would promote heat?

I would go below normal. Say -1 to -4 or so. Depending on a few things ( say we get more of these cut off lows like late week ) it could even end up colder then that.

This next system could put a nice dent in the dry conditions across the region. This however could bring our night time lows back up some though. Thus cooler days/slightly warmer nights.

The 00z euro suggests alot of us ( especially the further east you go in the GL/NE ) may not see 80+ again for a while atleast. One or two days in the low 70s and the rest in the 60s ( except for Friday perhaps in the 50s ) for the whole ten day period on the euro around here. Thus the first week or so of June should end up a bit below normal. Nothing out there at the moment either to force a change back to what we had. So yeah it could be a good while ( well beyond 10 days ) before we see some decent prolonged heat across the region again. Could always get a hot day or so ahead of a front as usual but that should be it.

Maybe a nice cool summer would help give us another beautiful mild winter. Everything balances out in the long run.

Top shelf out there today. At 70 right now but a healthy cloud deck has formed this should mute the upward temps. Trends tell me to laugh at the rain potential for tomorrow night. I'll believe it when I see it. 3 days in the mid 60 makes me smile though.

Had some upwelling along the western side of Lake Michigan from yesterday's strong west winds. Sometimes in the summer the temperature along the shore can drop in a matter of hours when a strong offshore winds is blowing.

mswt-00.gif

Rain so far has not been impressive. Just 0.19" here and potentially a bit more this afternoon. Looks like Fort Wayne picked up just 0.06", so the dryness continues.

I heard a couple of amateur radio reports this morning in the 1/4" range. We were expecting an inch or more. :(

Rain so far has not been impressive. Just 0.19" here and potentially a bit more this afternoon. Looks like Fort Wayne picked up just 0.06", so the dryness continues.

?

FWA had 0.25" by midnight and picked up a little more since then. My gauge caught 0.44" which matches up with radar estimates. Nice to get, but short of the 3/4" predicted. We could have used some more. Dry slot got us as NW IN received a good soaking.

?

FWA had 0.25" by midnight and picked up a little more since then. My gauge caught 0.44" which matches up with radar estimates. Nice to get, but short of the 3/4" predicted. We could have used some more. Dry slot got us as NW IN received a good soaking.

Ended up with just .15", just enough to wet the ground.

?

http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KFWA.html

I added up the 6 hr totals here. Looks like the METARs were not reporting correctly yesterday. That's what I get for just glancing at the obs and not looking for missing hours!

Started June off with showers and upper 40s! Picked up 0.83" from this system departing. Mostly cloudy at 56° right now. Feels like the first day of fall or something.

Chilly night tonight, especially from NC Indiana to SW Wisconsin.

temp20.gif

Low/mid 70s return by the late weekend. Looks like this pesky NAO BS will breakdown as we pass Day 5-6 or at least the ENS show this. Digging the massive High Pressure that sets-up in nations mid section @ 144+ on the 12z GFS. It will feel more like June as we progress forward.

Beautiful morning shaping up. Had fog/clouds early, but all that has burned off and that June 1st sun is very warm... Ate some more strawberries out of the garden. Just about done picking here.

Those strawberries sure sound good. Cold, windy and raw here today. 54° the high so far and rain so far is .71"

Total so far .89 here. A good soaking rain. Managed to sneak up to 52 around 1pm ( back down to 51 ) so the chances for a record low max ( 51 ) has ended. Still looks to be one of the coldest June days this area has seen. Coldest is 45 on June 3rd followed by that 51 ( record for today ) and then 53 on the 6th. See what happens. ANY clearing we get before sun set should boost the temps a bit so a chance the day could end up not as impressive from a chilly/near record standpoint.

Archived