Newest Member
    joxey
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe an inch deficit over 60 days....hardly major

We're on the far northern fringe of the drought but it could spread north over the summer. 60 day deficits in the -2 to -8 range are pretty widespread between the Gulf and Great Lakes. I think the dry soil is already impacting dewpoints over the corn belt. The models haven't been handling dewpoints well and keep overdoing the moisture return. Maximum to minimum temp spreads have been consistently bigger than normal over a big chunk of the lower 48 also.

I just am amazed by the complete lack of severe wx...

No kidding. The weather has been extremely pleasant for much of this spring into early summer, but man has it been boring. With every warm or cold front passage there has been either a lack of moisture, strong cap, or poor timing. It has been nice not having to worry about protecting plants during strong/severe storms, but I'd still like to see something at some point.

As far as severe weather goes, we have 3+ months of potential to go. The events may not be as extreme due to the weaker baroclinic zone and not-as-impressive temperature gradients, but for most of us east of the Mississippi and north of I-70, our highest frequency of severe weather isn't until the heart of summer.

With the quiet stretch for severe weather, I took a look at some Indiana data to see what happened tornadowise after the month of May in every year since 1950. Every year produced tornadoes after May and all but 1 produced tornadoes after June. Based on that it is overwhelmingly likely that there is more to come. How much remains to be seen...some years were very active after May and others were less active.

No kidding. The weather has been extremely pleasant for much of this spring into early summer, but man has it been boring. With every warm or cold front passage there has been either a lack of moisture, strong cap, or poor timing. It has been nice not having to worry about protecting plants during strong/severe storms, but I'd still like to see something at some point.

The pattern has been pathetic. It just keeps going back and forth between two dry patterns.

Pattern 1: Big heat dome over central US with the ring of fire confined to the far northern plains, southern Canada and New England.

Pattern 2: Big upper trough over the eastern US ushering dry northwest flow with all the Gulf moisture confined to the high plains and southeast US.

Neither one of these is a big rainmaker for the Midwest corn belt, Ohio Valley, or southern Great Lakes, except during the brief transition periods. The southern half of the Mississippi valley is now in moderate to severe drought as they have been baking more.

As far as severe weather goes, we have 3+ months of potential to go. The events may not be as extreme due to the weaker baroclinic zone and not-as-impressive temperature gradients, but for most of us east of the Mississippi and north of I-70, our highest frequency of severe weather isn't until the heart of summer.

That is true. Some years have outbreaks in September or even early October as well. It's just that last year was pretty quiet that time of year compared to normal.

-5.8 through the first 6 days of the month. I went back and checked some stuff and the last time we opened a month this far below average at LAF was December 2010.  That month went on to finish -5.2.  If the extended forecast pans out, that anomaly will take a big hit.

Turtle-

AC goes on tonite... South winds kick in today... Temps start inching toward 90F tomorrow through Sun.. Next chance of rain on Monday.. I guess i can skip mowing the lawn until then, since the ground is already rock hard again.

Yup, today is a hot one by WI standards, up around 80 °F across the Madison area. Milwaukee is around 75 °F despite a lake breeze.

Saving grace is dewpoints in the 40s, dry enough that we should cool off well into the 50s tonight.

It was nice here today. Got to 80 and thats the temp now just before 7pm. We've been lucky to have had nice amounts of rain lately so won't complain. It is interesting how lacking we've been with severe weather the last month or so. Maybe late Monday some big storms, we'll see.

Really nice day again today, high 75°. Chilly again this morning, low 46°. Dewpoints have mostly been in the 40s all week, which is incredible for June! Have not been at 80° this month yet, and the AC has not been on since May 28th.

It would be really nice to get into a basic thunderstorm pattern. It seems like the rainfall deficit is a couple inches here - I'm guessing since May 1st.

On the drought note, this was updated this week:

1ccbbe03966d4e66b0cad3d.png

A strip of moderate from LAF to FWA doesn't surprise me. However, I am a little surprised that things are as dry as they down Beau's way (PAH).

What difference a year makes. I caught 10.17" in my gauge in May 2011 and only an inch this year.

A strip of moderate from LAF to FWA doesn't surprise me. However, I am a little surprised that things are as dry as they down Beau's way (PAH).

What difference a year makes. I caught 10.17" in my gauge in May 2011 and only an inch this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the D1 areas spread out on the next update. My backyard pond has shrunk by 75% in the last 3 weeks. Last May I had 4.47", this year 2.98".

58°/44° currently.

Nice and warm here today, but the lack of humidity made it feel pretty pleasant. Hit 84.

This is the time of the year when we start to get into the long stretches of high humidity. Haven't had a dew hit 70 yet this year (IIRC) so it's gonna feel pretty mucky when it happens.

I was just thinking, there has been no appreciable heat index values this year yet! The corn crop that helps raise the dewpoints, will likely struggle if we don't get rain - therefore the dewpoints may stay lower for the foreseeable future. Could be a double hit on the agricultural business in the region if we don't get rain... first was killing freezes, now it doesn't want to rain.

I was just thinking, there has been no appreciable heat index values this year yet! The corn crop that helps raise the dewpoints, will likely struggle if we don't get rain - therefore the dewpoints may stay lower for the foreseeable future. Could be a double hit on the agricultural business in the region if we don't get rain... first was killing freezes, now it doesn't want to rain.

usually the worst of the dews are in mid July through august around here it seems. We get good heat in without high dews for the most part anyways. The less soupy the air the easier it is to warm and cool.

Temps really stayed up last night, even with dewpoints in the upper 50Fs... Looks like the low was 65F. Some hot days ahead ...showing 93F tomorrow.

Some rainfall records for summer in La Crosse

Wettest Driest 1) 20.93 1010 1) 3.01 1894 2) 20.32 2007 2) 4.51 1976 3) 19.88 1993 3) 4.96 1887 4) 19.82 1981 4) 5.93 1921 5) 19.38 1899 5) 5.99 1948 6) 17.89 1953 6) 6.15 1982 7) 17.87 1952 7) 6.30 2003 8) 17.39 1978 8) 6.39 1910 9) 17.23 1924 9) 6.47 1961 10) 17.21 1998 10) 6.80 1893

Avg is 11.60 inches

Since in most cases this year the best shear has been displaced just behind the cold fronts, tornado episodes and outbreaks have been hard to come by. However, it's not like there has been no severe weather, although it has been farther north than one would expect for late spring.

Archived