amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have 91/54 right now in Geneva, Illinois, a hot day to be sure (though not humid or torrid) and the eighth day of the year at or above 90 degrees. Hoping for some rain tomorrow afternoon: no measurable rain has yet occurred in June (though 1.13" was recorded at the 12z 24-h observation on the 1st from rain that fell on 31 May), and only 0.12" was recorded between 8 and 31 May from minor events on the 12th and 20th.

Statistics argue that your time frame is one of the worst time frames for severe weather. Sure you can pick out notable events to match any time frame but collectively between 4-10pm will always be the best time of the day to see severe/significant severe.

I'll still take a 11:00 PM frontal passage over a 11:00 AM frontal passage any day. Perhaps I'm just making a semantic nitpick but I take the term "nocturnal" to literally mean the hours of darkness. In terms of severe weather and thunderstorms in general, the PM hours are the most favorable while the AM hours are the least. In my mind "nocturnal" doesn't refer to only the latter half of the night, but the entire time from sunset to sunrise.

I'll still take a 11:00 PM frontal passage over a 11:00 AM frontal passage any day. Perhaps I'm just making a semantic nitpick but I take the term "nocturnal" to literally mean the hours of darkness. In terms of severe weather and thunderstorms in general, the PM hours are the most favorable while the AM hours are the least. In my mind "nocturnal" doesn't refer to only the latter half of the night, but the entire time from sunset to sunrise.

In terms of heavy rain producing thunderstorms, the best ones here seem to be between 9pm - 9am. With a lot of them occurring in the early morning more around sunrise. In terms of the most severe storms, they seem to be most common late afternoon through about 9pm. That's what I've observed the last decade or so.

pretty weird stretch...quality heat if you're in the sun without any wind but the dry air, breeze and shade keeps things pretty great. Lake Michigan offering some nice late day relief as well.

Agreed. 90 degrees just doesn't feel that hot to me without any humidity. Feels great outside. I'm sure at some point this summer the humidity will finally get in here.

Two grad parties today...everyone was melting outside, someone ended up bringing out the slip n' slide at one point, which is totally meant for college kids to use, right? :lmao:

On the topic of severe wx timing that was being talked about earlier....

DTX:

DTX5.gif

GRR:

GRR5.gif

LOT:

LOT5.gif

pretty weird stretch...quality heat if you're in the sun without any wind but the dry air, breeze and shade keeps things pretty great. Lake Michigan offering some nice late day relief as well.

Today's 90 degree high felt more like what you sometimes get in Seattle in July and everyone whines and complains how "humid" it is with a dewpoint in the upper 50s to low 60s. To be fair though, there is very little air conditioning there.

Biking home on my bike ride, I could see the clouds from the storms over to the west in MN...just the edge of them was blocking out the sun as it set.

Still very warm...bike ride was a little greasy.

MN has been hogging all the rain like mad this spring and summer. It's just like our economics, the rich get richer while the poor get poorer.

MN has been hogging all the rain like mad this spring and summer. It's just like our economics, the rich get richer while the poor get poorer.

Minnesota was quite dry late last summer and fall, while much of the GLOV region was incredibly wet, so it's the law of averages I guess.

In GRR the dewpoint reached 67 on back on May 3. I don't think that number ever was exceeded during the following heat waves in May.

I think 66° is about the highest dewpoint I've observed here. Probably back on the same day you mentioned.

Warm night on tap, sitting at 76° at home with mostly cloudy skies.

Minnesota was quite dry late last summer and fall, while much of the GLOV region was incredibly wet, so it's the law of averages I guess.

There must have been a sharp cutoff somewhere because it was a rather dry and uneventful late summer and fall where I live. In October the leaves started falling off the trees before they even turned color.

Archived