amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should use L Michigan as free AC during the summer. You could store a ton of heat in that lake from all those Chicago high rises and still probably have very little effect on the whole scheme of things. Not to mention that heat would just be release come winter and reduce heating costs... :)

Euro looks to have backed off on the heat for this weekend some... the old run had near 100F here or so on Monday, now it shows that heat nowhere near here...

The lake has been hooking up free AC all summer, i've only had to crank up the AC 4-5 times.

And the Euro still looks warm and I see signs that the next warm spell down the road won't be of the dry variety we've come to appreciate.

Still a ways to go, and the future is never certain/clear, but for giggles...here's the top 10 driest Junes on record for Indianapolis.

0.36" - 1988 (4 days with rain that month. 0.13", 0.05", 0.17", and 0.01")

0.91" - 1991

0.99" - 1922

1.05" - 1908

1.07" - 1967

1.15" - 1954

1.24" - 1927

1.28" - 1966

1.28" - 1926

1.45" - 1962

June 2012 precipitation (departure) through yesterday at IND: 0.05" (-1.53")

Still a ways to go, and the future is never certain/clear, but for giggles...here's the top 10 driest Junes on record for Indianapolis.

0.36" - 1988 (4 days with rain that month. 0.13", 0.05", 0.17", and 0.01")

0.91" - 1991

0.99" - 1922

1.05" - 1908

1.07" - 1967

1.15" - 1964

1.24" - 1927

1.28" - 1966

1.28" - 1926

1.45" - 1962

June 2012 precipitation (departure) through yesterday at IND: 0.05" (-1.53")

A top 10 finish looks probably...with nothing on the radar for at least 7 days

Other thing of interest, probably just for the Indiana/Indy folks, is 90º+ days in June for Indianapolis. Granted, just one of those days logged this June so far, but looks like a streak could be starting this weekend and beyond. I did a little write up about it on my blog. Data is from 1897 to present: http://765weather.blogspot.com/2012/06/indianapolis-90-days-in-june.html

Alek--

Are you saying Chicago is colder then La Crosse during summer? I highly doubt that is the case... I would guess that Chicago is warmer then La Crosse every single month of the year.

This is what I was thinking...

James Hamilton of Amazon writes about the interesting new DeepGreen data center project in Switzerland. It’s one of a growing number of data centers using nearby bodies of water to provide cooling for thousands of servers.

The DeepGreen data center is a 46 megawatt facility planned on the shores of Lake Walensee in Switzerland.

“This facility is cooled using 43F source water from 197 feet below the surface,” James writes. “The source water is brought in through dual redundant intake pipes to the pumping station with 6 high-capacity pumps in a 2*(N+1) configuration. The pumps move 668,000 gallons per hour at full cooling load.

And that is some small lake in Switzerland...

Alek--

Are you saying Chicago is colder then La Crosse during summer? I highly doubt that is the case... I would guess that Chicago is warmer then La Crosse every single month of the year.

I know what you're saying and I also bet i've been cooler than you many times this year

They should use L Michigan as free AC during the summer. You could store a ton of heat in that lake from all those Chicago high rises and still probably have very little effect on the whole scheme of things. Not to mention that heat would just be release come winter and reduce heating costs... :)

Euro looks to have backed off on the heat for this weekend some... the old run had near 100F here or so on Monday, now it shows that heat nowhere near here...

Euro looking warm still it's timing has changed though. 100s might be a long shot up ur way though. Not sure many will complain though. Not sure what's worse temps in the single digits or triple digits.

The idea of using lake water as cooling liquid is really neat. Costs would be unreal but it sounds awesome!

Alek--

This question of whether Chicago is warmer than LaCrosse piqued my interest, so I pulled some data off the MRCC's Applied Climate System (MACS) database.

The 1981-2010 normals for LaCrosse Municipal Airport and Chicago O'Hare are attached (in respective order). I also attached the normals for the Chicago Botanical Gardens and Northerly Island (again, in respective order) since Alek seems to live pretty close to the lake (which makes a huge difference). Note that all values are in degrees Fahrenheit; also, Northerly Island's record only goes back to 2000, so those data are not true 30-year normal.

It looks like, during the period from April through July or so, LaCrosse is a bit warmer than any of the Chicago sites, particularly in terms of daytime temperatures. During the rest of the year, LaCrosse is decidedly colder. The warmer daytime temperatures at LaCrosse during summer are due almost entirely to the lack of lake/marine influence.

post-5439-0-60783400-1339515285_thumb.jp

post-5439-0-68756700-1339515438_thumb.jp

post-5439-0-59599100-1339515465_thumb.jp

post-5439-0-62473700-1339515479_thumb.jp

This question of whether Chicago is warmer than LaCrosse piqued my interest, so I pulled some data off the MRCC's Applied Climate System (MACS) database.

The 1981-2010 normals for LaCrosse Municipal Airport and Chicago O'Hare are attached (in respective order). I also attached the normals for the Chicago Botanical Gardens and Northerly Island (again, in respective order) since Alek seems to live pretty close to the lake (which makes a huge difference). Note that all values are in degrees Fahrenheit; also, Northerly Island's record only goes back to 2000, so those data are not true 30-year normal.

It looks like, during the period from April through July or so, LaCrosse is a bit warmer than any of the Chicago sites, particularly in terms of daytime temperatures. During the rest of the year, LaCrosse is decidedly colder. The warmer daytime temperatures at LaCrosse during summer are due almost entirely to the lack of lake/marine influence.

Thanks for doing the dirty work and the results aren't surprising.

Thanks for posting that Hoosier. I was going to pull up some data from '88, but haven't had time. I remember driving to DC for vacation that year and the heat stretched out to the coast. It was well into the 90's every day for the week I was in Washington.

I notice that you posted the August temp anomalies, but I was thinking that July was warmer on average as compared to normal than August, but I've slept since then.

Thanks for posting that Hoosier. I was going to pull up some data from '88, but haven't had time. I remember driving to DC for vacation that year and the heat stretched out to the coast. It was well into the 90's every day for the week I was in Washington.

I notice that you posted the August temp anomalies, but I was thinking that July was warmer on average as compared to normal than August, but I've slept since then.

more on 1988

The US Drought of 1988 was one of the worst droughts in US history. It was a multi-year drought which began in 1988 and continued into 1989. The drought caused $60 billion in damage (between $80 billion and $120 billion for 2008 USD). The drought was the occasion of the worst blowing-dust events since 1977 or the 1930s in many locations in the Middle West including a protracted one which closed schools in South Dakota in late February 1988. During the spring records for lowest monthly total and longest interval between measurable precipitation were set, for example, 55 days in a row without rain in Milwaukee, and during the summer two record-setting heat waves developed, exactly as they did in 1934 and 1936. The concurrent heat waves killed 4,800 to 17,000 people in the United States. During the summer of 1988, the drought led to many forest fires in Western North America, including the Yellowstone fire. At its peak, the drought covered 45% of the United States. This seems minor when compared to the Dust Bowl's 70%, but the drought of 1988 is not only the costliest drought in US history, it was the costliest natural disaster in US history, prior to Huricane Katrina. In Canada, drought-related losses added up to about 1.8 billion [1988] dollars.

more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_North_American_drought

June 1988 was interesting. Despite having the 4th highest amount of 90º+ days since 1897 for Indianapolis (including one day with a 102º), the month finished just +1.8º above normal. A minimum temperature record was tied on the 10th (44º). It ranks as the 50th warmest on record for IND.

Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas were the ones frying that month.

June 1988 was interesting. Despite having the 4th highest amount of 90º+ days since 1897 for Indianapolis (including one day with a 102º), the month finished just +1.8º above normal. A minimum temperature record was tied on the 10th (44º).  It ranks as the 50th warmest on record for IND.

There must've been some large diurnal swings that month. Wouldn't be totally shocking in a drought.

NWS LOT:

One of the Driest Starts to June on Record

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

1054 AM CDT TUE JUN 12 2012 /1154 AM EDT TUE JUN 12 2012/

...IN THE MIDST OF ONE OF THE DRIEST STARTS TO JUNE ON RECORD...

A NOTABLY DRY PATTERN HAS CONTINUED OVER THE AREA FROM THE SPRING

INTO METEOROLOGICAL SUMMER. IT PRESENTLY LOOKS THAT NO RAINFALL

WILL FALL ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA THROUGH

FRIDAY JUNE 15TH. BELOW IS A LOOK AT HOW THIS STACKS UP WITH THE

DRIEST FIRST HALVES OF JUNE ON RECORD.

CHICAGO...

DRIEST STARTS TO JUNE /THROUGH THE 15TH/ ON RECORD SINCE 1871:

RANK AMOUNT YEAR

----------------------

1. 0.00 1988

2. 0.01 2012*

3. 0.04 1922

4. 0.07 1968

5. 0.13 1913 1992

*=CURRENT TOTAL PLUS 0.00 OF FORECAST PRECIP THROUGH JUNE 15TH.

ROCKFORD...

DRIEST STARTS TO JUNE /THROUGH THE 15TH/ ON RECORD SINCE 1906:

RANK AMOUNT YEAR

----------------------

1. 0.00 1988

2. 0.02 1933

3. 0.10 2012*

4. 0.11 1951

5. 0.27 1956

WHILE ROCKFORD DID RECEIVE A SMALL AMOUNT OF RAIN MONDAY

MORNING...THE COMMUNITY HAS MISSED OUT ON THE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN

REGIONAL BOUTS OF MORE SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL DURING THE PAST COUPLE

MONTHS. HERE IS A LOOK AT THE DRIEST MID-APRILS THROUGH MID-JUNES

ON RECORD AT ROCKFORD.

DRIEST APRIL 16TH-JUNE 15TH ON RECORD:

RANK AMOUNT YEAR

----------------------

1. 1.11 1934

2. 1.93 1988

3. 1.95 1928

4. 2.84 2012*

5. 2.98 1992

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Chicago (ORD) has 8 90-degree days so far in 2012. It looks like a couple more could be added this weekend.

It's interesting that the record year of 1988 (47 90-degree days) only had 9 90-degree days through June 17. So, Chicago is pretty much on track with 1988 so far...although of course it's still very early.

Geos-

Wow. I wonder why so deep? My well is around 70 ft... I sit only about 20ft higher then the Mississippi River... I've never heard of wells going dry around here.

Like Alek said, I'm not in the "surface" watershed of the Great Lakes. My well end at the dolomite bedrock! With all the wells locally pumping water, having a deeper well pays off during drought conditions. Sounds like you're really close to the river, so thats good. Having sandy soil helps well recharge quicker too.

you aren't in the lake michigan watershed, almost none of Illinois is except the shoreline areas of Chicago. There are some on going battles for lake water in wisconsin already and look for more in the future as periphery locals try to tap in once their wells run dry.

The surface water divide literally is 1000 - 1200 feet away to the east of me! Now the ground water divide is much further west, which starts below a certain depth. One of the biggest water battles in WI is with the city of Waukesha. They would like water from Lake Michigan because their water is tainted with radium, but they are outside of the GL watershed.

http://www.wuwm.com/news/wuwm_news.php?articleid=6934

Archived