Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup! :( but very disheartening to see areas in Illinois where the euro was painting a good start to a drought buster go to showing under .25" this run. Hopefully your WC scenario comes back and the euro paints a better picture again at 12z. I'm prepared for the worst but hoping we can pull out at least one friggin' round of rain.

Drought begets drought, our fate was sealed when people were singing the praises of a cool and dry April/Early May.

Beautiful day today. LOL at the high/low at DTW though. Their low of 52 was naturally the highest in SE MI (most places well in the 40s) outside of stations on the water, but really thats not unexpected. But what really surprised me, how in the hell did they hit 74 today!? Almost the entire area had highs in the 68-70 range. Its comical really, but what can you say other than heat island & maybe a bit of downsloping. But I dont buy too heavily into the downsloping idea because I have always checked SE MI high/lows rtp tables and it never used to be this crazy this often.

I don't think the 74 is too out of the ordinary; KARB hit 75, KYIP hit 77, and KADG hit 75. Perhaps the lack of any significant vegetation for several square miles plays a role?

I don't think the 74 is too out of the ordinary; KARB hit 75, KYIP hit 77, and KADG hit 75. Perhaps the lack of any significant vegetation for several square miles plays a role?

Yeah 74 is perfectly fine considering those other locations.

Nearing 5.00" below normal at LAF since March 1st.

March: 1.92" (-0.75")

April: 2.29" (-1.25")

May: 2.99" (-1.20")

June: 0.07" (-1.77") through yesterday

March 1 - June 13: 7.27" (-4.97")

With no rain in the forecast for the next seven days, that departure will get to -6.01" by the middle of next week. Not good. :(

Just because it's the most recent notable dry streak/drought in this area/region, a comparison of 1988 and this year (since March 1st) at LAF. Not reading anything into it, just posting the numbers. Numbers in ( ) are number of days with measurable precipitation, 0.01" or greater.

March

1988: 2.58" (13)

2012: 1.92" (8)

April

1988: 2.46" (9)

2012: 2.29" (7)

May

1988: 0.99" (6)

2012: 2.99" (7)

June - through 6/13

1988: 0.15" (1)

2012: 0.07" (2)

March 1 - June 13

1988: 6.18" (29)

2012: 7.27" (24)

The rest of the way (monthly totals) for LAF in 1988, through the end of meteorological summer. At the local level, things got better in July and August...though of course it was smoking hot.

June: 0.29" (only two days with measurable precipitation that month)

July: 3.53"

August: 3.82"

6z GFS has 0.10" total for LAF through 180 hours. Probably too heavy. :arrowhead:

Through 384 hours, it has 0.69" total. I'll take the under.

slightly better up here but still grim...hoping some of the action Sat-Mon can blow up and help push the action south a little but it doesn't look good.

Euro flips all of us the finger south of central wisconsin and gives us <.50" the whole run while most to the north and west in MN gets round after round of rain and 3-5" plus.

Yeah, kind of the reverse of last summer but the same story, when N Illinois and Michigan hogged much of the rain. Funny thing is I remember the models shifting south with the ring of fire situation over time. Of course, that trend is needed this time around, but I'm 90% sure it won't happen.

Yeah, kind of the reverse of last summer but the same story, when N Illinois and Michigan hogged much of the rain. Funny thing is I remember the models shifting south with the ring of fire situation over time. Of course, that trend is needed this time around, but I'm 90% sure it won't happen.

I've been looking around this morning and despite some rough model runs...it's not that bad and is certainly going to be better for rain chances than it has been lately.

Sparty has filled in for him nicely

That was before I booked my pine river trip. My hopes for weather have now taken an economical twist.

BTW. Lol at the pic choice. So trolling is praising sun shine and rain avoidence. Man last winter really ****ed with the weenies. Its all good though because hopefully mama nature blesses us this winter with a monster GHD redux.

That is quite a post by SpartyOn, screams laziness.

Laziness... You nailed it! Lol. Last summer I paid some kid to cut every week. This year I didn't. But since it has not rained no need to cut it. I've got a few friends in landscaping and wow are they taking it hard. No snow and no rain.

I've been looking around this morning and despite some rough model runs...it's not that bad and is certainly going to be better for rain chances than it has been lately.

Sure, 0.5-1.0" of rain in a week's time will at least get us back on a normal rain schedule if it occurs, and any persistent MCS tracking this direction could easily yield more than that.

Wasteful...

It never ceases to amaze me when every summer people complain that their lawns are brown and dry because of lack of rain, intense summer heat. The green english lawn isn't natural to most of America, but every year we hope they'll stay green and dump so much water on them because a rich dark green lawn is so aesthetically pleasing. I enjoy a dried out lawn by mid summer, less to mow, and after all that's what it should look like at that time of year.

Nice day shaping up again. Low 49° this morning. Up to 69° with an easterly wind. Looks like some high clouds will push southward into the area from that complex of storms in northern WI.

wisgif32.jpg

I'm surprised that the D1 areas didn't spread further north into northern IL. Must be getting close to D1 in this area - I would think.

I've been planting more native (drought tolerate) plants in my yard the last few years. I leave the grass a little longer when it's dry out, but I don't bother watering the lawn at all!

Archived