• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Boredom/Banter thread..Nothing but normal to slightly above

Damage In Tolland

Why not? We've had below normal heights the past week or so, and it's been beautiful every day in Westchester.

While I agree with you that this weather is nice, Westchester can be much different this time of year than eastern New England under similar atmospheric conditions (same goes for Albany). Lower heights with a high to the north might get NY state sunny days near 60 while BOS sees 47F for days on end.

I know you know this Nate but it's like me saying "why does everyone hate a chilly NW flow?" one location it brings desired weather while another not so much.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol new Euro is about 90 in SNE on Tuesday the 17th

Yeah ...guys... I wouldn't get to caught up in the chill and the fact that there is some rotted cold precipitation elements trying to rotate SW out of that Maritimes low... It can heat up and do so in a hurry at this time of year.

The GEFs are still flagging the -PNA/+NAO coupled phases by mid month, and seeing the Euro's operation agree so heavily across multiple cycles, it's hard to refute that possibility.

It almost appears to be a repeat of the March 20 type heat, but this time a stronger positive geopotential ridge node, with +588DM heights up to the Del Marva.

The MJO is a wild card here. Also, the NAO is pretty positively biased in the outlook, so it is attempting to elevate the phase too fast. But that's not uncommon and usually verifies as a rise, just a timing issue.

Interesting seasonal outlook for next Autumn.

While I agree with you that this weather is nice, Westchester can be much different this time of year than eastern New England under similar atmospheric conditions (same goes for Albany). Lower heights with a high to the north might get NY state sunny days near 60 while BOS sees 47F for days on end.

I know you know this Nate but it's like me saying "why does everyone hate a chilly NW flow?" one location it brings desired weather while another not so much.

I like cool, drizzly days in the spring that lead to an Irish-like landscape. I believe that the weather should be appropriate for the season, and it's not supposed to be 75 and sunny in early April. After months and months of torch, and people complaining constantly about how warm the fall and winter were, I'm not sure why we're all of a sudden in a hurry for summertime. It feels nice to hike and play tennis with a cool breeze, it feels great to have some chilly nights that remind us we're just at the very start of a new season of life, and I personally don't want more heat that will dry the soil out more since it's already so dry...the avid gardener in me says that we need some rain and 50s or we're going to have drought concerns later in the warm season. I do a lot of cool-weather crops like arugula, spinach, and beets early in the season; thus I need the weather to stay cool and wet until these plants mature.

I lived on the South Pacific in Chile for a time so I got to enjoy the morose, drizzly weather of the southern Chilean winter. Endless days in the 40s with rain in Valdivia during the cold months, and yet it was gorgeous with the temperature rainforest, Bio-Bio River, and nearby views of the snowcapped Andes with high peaks like Mount Tronador not too far away. I enjoy all types of weather...that's the key to being happy in a temperate climate. If I wanted it to be sunny everyday with highs in the 70s, I'd move to San Diego. But variety is the spice of life.

65.7/33 here in Westchester and gorgeous.

Yeah ...guys... I wouldn't get to caught up in the chill and the fact that there is some rotted cold precipitation elements trying to rotate SW out of that Maritimes low... It can heat up and do so in a hurry at this time of year.

Point forecast for 2,000ft looks fairly nice for rotted cold precipitation elements ;)

LOL... this could actually be quite a large upslope event. Localized cooling from forced orographic ascent may bring snow levels down lower pure H85 temps would indicate.

At the very least, the summits of Mount Mansfield and Jay Peak are going to get crushed. We'll have to see if Monday night once the sun goes down we can get any appreciable accumulation down here in the 800-1000ft range.

LOL... this could actually be quite a large upslope event. Localized cooling from forced orographic ascent may bring snow levels down lower pure H85 temps would indicate.

At the very least, the summits of Mount Mansfield and Jay Peak are going to get crushed. We'll have to see if Monday night once the sun goes down we can get any appreciable accumulation down here in the 800-1000ft range.

Does diurnal heating with a high sun angle interfere with upslope bands as it can with lake effect? This definitely looks like a classic signal for VT orographic enhancement with an upper low stalled over Northern Maine/SE Canada, 850s around -4C to -5C Tuesday/Wednesday, and a long-duration period of light precipitation highlighted by global models. I am just wondering how the late-season sun will change the event...

Some quick thoughts...

The latest MJO guidance is suggesting that the MJO could move into the low amplitude ranges sometime during the third week in April. This development might indicate a warmer-than-normal second half of April for much of eastern North America.

In the first message in this thread, it was noted that 1976 and 2009 were among the leading analogs for April. In that post I stated:

Both 1976 and 2009 featured a significant outbreak of heat during the second half of the month (1976 just after mid-April and 2009 in late April). The first half of each of those two cases did feature some colder than normal readings, so some cold shots would appear plausible in eastern North America, especially during the first 1-2 weeks of April.

The teleconnection analogs for the April 16-22 timeframe also indicated warmth in the East. The map from Message #86 is below:

April16to222012.gif

The latest weekly CFSv2 forecast has now reverted from cold anomalies to warm ones in the East. Below are the April 15-21 and April 22-28 CFSv2 weekly forecasts:

CFSv204072012.jpg

In sum, there ensemble support for a warmer-than-normal second half of April in much of eastern North America appears to be growing. Whether or not a period of excessive warmth will take place during the second half of April remains to be seen. Given some of the past analogs and also the recent developments in the long-range ensemble guidance, such a development remains on the proverbial table.

Bang the bass..turn up the treble...it's coming

I should be seeing quite a bit of snow this weekend in Park City and then hopefully coming back to SNE mid-week to some nice 70s hopefully. But first,

CONFIDENCE IS FAIR TO GOOD THAT MOST IF NOT ALL OF THE CWA WILL

RECEIVE PRECIP AT SOME POINT DURING THE LATE WED THRU MON TIME

FRAME ALTHO THE DISTRIBUTION AND TIMING IS STILL A LITTLE

UNCERTAIN. THE AIRMASS SHOULD BE WARM ENOUGH WITH THIS EVENT TO

KEEP SNOW OUT OF THE VALLEYS ALTHO SOME OF THE HIGHER VALLEYS

COULD PICK UP SOME ACCUMULATION OFF PAVEMENT SURFACES. MOUNTAINS

SHOULD PICK UP SOME DECENT ACCUMULATION...ALTHO TRAVEL IMPACT MAY

NOT BE ALL THAT GREAT EVEN THERE AS ANY ACCUMULATION ON MTN

ROADWAYS SHOULD BE BRIEF AND LIMITED TO TIMES OF HEAVIEST PRECIP.

Can't wait to see my first accumulating snow since 3/3!

Does diurnal heating with a high sun angle interfere with upslope bands as it can with lake effect? This definitely looks like a classic signal for VT orographic enhancement with an upper low stalled over Northern Maine/SE Canada, 850s around -4C to -5C Tuesday/Wednesday, and a long-duration period of light precipitation highlighted by global models. I am just wondering how the late-season sun will change the event...

That's a really good question... you know I have no idea. I always feel like upslope gets better "organized" at night though for the most part. I'm not sure why that is or even if its true, but its a gut feeling I've gotten from watching these things over the years and experiencing them. You usually get "surprised" overnight with decent accumulations but during the daytime sometimes it seems to struggle with cellular snow showers and squalls...at night you're more likely to find one consolidated band stretching north-south along the Spine. So now that I am thinking/talking about it, I would say there's a good chance the sun has something to do with it. I think strengthening and lowering inversion levels at night has something to do with it... cause as that inversion comes down, the Spine obviously stays the same, so moisture is "squeezed" out much more efficiently or more concentrated (heavier precip rates), if you can call it that.

I should be seeing quite a bit of snow this weekend in Park City and then hopefully coming back to SNE mid-week to some nice 70s hopefully. But first,

CONFIDENCE IS FAIR TO GOOD THAT MOST IF NOT ALL OF THE CWA WILL

RECEIVE PRECIP AT SOME POINT DURING THE LATE WED THRU MON TIME

FRAME ALTHO THE DISTRIBUTION AND TIMING IS STILL A LITTLE

UNCERTAIN. THE AIRMASS SHOULD BE WARM ENOUGH WITH THIS EVENT TO

KEEP SNOW OUT OF THE VALLEYS ALTHO SOME OF THE HIGHER VALLEYS

COULD PICK UP SOME ACCUMULATION OFF PAVEMENT SURFACES. MOUNTAINS

SHOULD PICK UP SOME DECENT ACCUMULATION...ALTHO TRAVEL IMPACT MAY

NOT BE ALL THAT GREAT EVEN THERE AS ANY ACCUMULATION ON MTN

ROADWAYS SHOULD BE BRIEF AND LIMITED TO TIMES OF HEAVIEST PRECIP.

Can't wait to see my first accumulating snow since 3/3!

Heading to Park City, eh? Sweet. The Wasatch are some epic mountains.

Heading to Park City, eh? Sweet. The Wasatch are some epic mountains.

Yup. Probably skiing 4/13 and then their closing day 4/15, but it will depend on the snowfall out there. We were going to visit family in Salt Lake City on Saturday, but if it looks like Saturday will be an epic ski day, we could switch it. At the very least looks like at least a few inches on Thurs-Sat. Possibly a good amount more than that though, looking at todays 12z runs of the Euro and GFS. Not that I know anything about forecasting out there.

That's a really good question... you know I have no idea. I always feel like upslope gets better "organized" at night though for the most part. I'm not sure why that is or even if its true, but its a gut feeling I've gotten from watching these things over the years and experiencing them. You usually get "surprised" overnight with decent accumulations but during the daytime sometimes it seems to struggle with cellular snow showers and squalls...at night you're more likely to find one consolidated band stretching north-south along the Spine. So now that I am thinking/talking about it, I would say there's a good chance the sun has something to do with it. I think strengthening and lowering inversion levels at night has something to do with it... cause as that inversion comes down, the Spine obviously stays the same, so moisture is "squeezed" out much more efficiently or more concentrated (heavier precip rates), if you can call it that.

Inversion strengthens and lowers and night, blocking flow. During the day (esp with higher sun angles), the inversion can mix out and rise.

Unbelievable approach shot on the last playoff hole. WOWZER.

Yes sir! Good to see a southern boy win, and of course with all thats going on in his life. T- 4 days till heaven.

By the way, total gem down here today, another 60+ DIXIE delight.

Yes sir! Good to see a southern boy win, and of course with all thats going on in his life. T- 4 days till heaven.

By the way, total gem down here today, another 60+ DIXIE delight.

I was down around Hudson,NY today. It was sunny and 60 there. Gross. It was nice to get home to cloudy, windy 40's. Snowed for a while here this AM. Nice.

Archived