• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

Pretty cool...yeah April tends to be quite elevation dependent at our latitude....so its not surprised that DTW often gets a trace or amounts under an inch. I'm sure some of the places slightly higher did better outside of the city.

At ORH, there have been 9 Aprils with over a 6" snowfall just since 1958...and total April snowfall over 6" since 1967. (tha year had multiple events under 6" that added up over 9")

This upcoming pattern is as good as any to get more April snow back on the board though...again, I think the lakes will benefit the most in the post-4/5 pattern the most.

7 here going back to 1958 with the biggest event being 12.3" on April 1-2 1970 with the jackpot about 10 mile or so east of here ( 16" se/e part of this county ) up towards Lansing and the Thumb. Was 5 prior to that going back to 1896.. Thus 12 in total.. 1967 only had one snow event which was 6.0" total on April 23rd.

I am guessing on the biggest event because 1982 had a multi day event ( total 13.7" ) and i am not sure how much was from the same system? April 82 holds the record for snowiest April here with 17.1" Was another event that dropped 3.4" The last April to have multiple snow events was 2007. Since i have been here ( July 2004 ) April 2006, 2008, and 2010 is the Aprils without any flakes. Per that there should not be any flakes here this April.. :P

Normal April snowfall is 2.1"

The oddball is other then that 12.3 is the other big late season event was in May ( 9Th ) back in 1923.. For some areas between here and Lansing/Jackson and the Thumb ( 12-18 from Lansing up towards the Thumb ) it is the biggest event for either April or May. Even Detroit got 6 from that.. Talk about a freak storm. Lansing got about a foot from the May storm and 17" from that 1970 storm. May btw has had 5 events with a inch or more and 8 events with a 0.3 or more.. Unsure about trace amounts? Last May flakes was 2002 ( May 19th )for some and 2005 ( I think it was?? ) for others.. May 25-27 is the latest *known* flakes in the area. May 29th for Muskegon.. Can you imagine flakes that late in the year? :wacko:

Ofcourse the biggest oddball of them all is the Big Detroit April Snow storm back in the 1800s that dropped 2+ feet there.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 here going back to 1958 with the biggest event being 12.3" on April 1-2 1970 with the jackpot about 10 mile or so east of here ( 16" se/e part of this county ) up towards Lansing and the Thumb. Was 5 prior to that going back to 1896.. Thus 12 in total.. 1967 only had one snow event which was 6.0" total on April 23rd.

I am guessing on the biggest event because 1982 had a multi day event ( total 13.7" ) and i am not sure how much was from the same system? April 82 holds the record for snowiest April here with 17.1" Was another event that dropped 3.4" The last April to have multiple snow events was 2007. Since i have been here ( July 2004 ) April 2006, 2008, and 2010 is the Aprils without any flakes. Per that there should not be any flakes here this April.. :P

Normal April snowfall is 2.1"

The oddball is other then that 12.3 is the other big late season event was in May ( 9Th ) back in 1923.. For some areas between here and Lansing/Jackson and the Thumb ( 12-18 from Lansing up towards the Thumb ) it is the biggest event for either April or May. Even Detroit got 6 from that.. Talk about a freak storm. Lansing got about a foot from the May storm and 17" from that 1970 storm. May btw has had 5 events with a inch or more and 8 events with a 0.3 or more.. Unsure about trace amounts? Last May flakes was 2002 ( May 19th )for some and 2005 ( I think it was?? ) for others.. May 25-27 is the latest *known* flakes in the area. May 29th for Muskegon.. Can you imagine flakes that late in the year? :wacko:

Ofcourse the biggest oddball of them all is the Big Detroit April Snow storm back in the 1800s that dropped 2+ feet there.

That is pretty cool to hear about the May 1923 event...never heard of that before...ofcourse for here the most anomalous late season event was May 9-10, 1977 which dropped 12.7" of snow. April 28-29, 1987 also dumped 17.0" on ORH.

That is pretty cool to hear about the May 1923 event...never heard of that before...ofcourse for here the most anomalous late season event was May 9-10, 1977 which dropped 12.7" of snow. April 28-29, 1987 also dumped 17.0" on ORH.

I think DTX has a decent write up about that 1923 event? Josh will know for sure.

I have heard a little about May 1977. Basically it had snowed. No actual totals or anything. I did not know it was such a big storm though. Pretty cool. That is crazy to think about with those May events and even crazier that they happened on the same day just different years. I wouldn't mind seeing one of these in my lifetime. I saw some flurries once in early May 2005 but that has been it.

I actually do remember a little bit of the coverage ( TWC ) with that 1987 event there. That was wild. I had forgotten about that one.

I think DTX has a decent write up about that 1923 event? Josh will know for sure.

I have heard a little about May 1977. Basically it had snowed. No actual totals or anything. I did not know it was such a big storm though. Pretty cool. That is crazy to think about with those May events and even crazier that they happened on the same day just different years. I wouldn't mind seeing one of these in my lifetime. I saw some flurries once in early May 2005 but that has been it.

I actually do remember a little bit of the coverage ( TWC ) with that 1987 event there. That was wild. I had forgotten about that one.

The may 1977 event was obviously very elevation dependent. It did have flakes all the way down to the M.A. on the CP, but the big accumulations were confined to the northern areas and mostly high elevation

post-21554-1269399493.png

The April 1987 was weird in that the Berkshires were too far west for the best snow despite their high elevation...but ORH hills absolutely cleaned up and so did many sotseven at lower elevations west of Boston. Even BOS on the water at logan airport got 4".

april1987snowmaper0.png

The may 1977 event was obviously very elevation dependent. It did have flakes all the way down to the M.A. on the CP, but the big accumulations were confined to the northern areas and mostly high elevation

post-21554-1269399493.png

The April 1987 was weird in that the Berkshires were too far west for the best snow despite their high elevation...but ORH hills absolutely cleaned up and so did many sotseven at lower elevations west of Boston. Even BOS on the water at logan airport got 4".

april1987snowmaper0.png

Nice maps. Thanks for sharing them. Pretty sick totals for both events. WOW cannot believe it has been almost 25yrs since the 87 event. :yikes: Wish i could remember 77. All i remember from 76-77 was the cold. Feb 78 blizz is the first storm i can recall which i was in Philly for. That is about as far back as my memory goes.

Here is the DTX May 1923 write-up:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/talesmay.php

Long way out and probably not even worth mentioning but the Euro verbatim has a freeze here Wednesday after next.

That's pretty nasty looking. GFS has the same thing. Do I dare mention the 4 letter S word on that day for the lower lakes!?

Yep, some snow showing up in the longrange models. Its a long way off and will change a hundred times, so its pointless to look at anything in ANY detail, but just a reminder that snow still IS a real threat north of I-80 in April. Should we get one of those freak snowstorms this April, and our season total manages to hit 30", I would find it absolutely hilarious. This winters snowfall is already not in futility's league, so years down the road when climate buffs like myself look at snow statistics, 2011-12 will not show up in the vaunted top 20 list regardless of what happens rest of the way. But to me once we reach 30", weve really strayed away from the pack, meaning we fall in that range of 30-50" winters, when the snowfall is not impressive from either standpoint, excessive or a deficit. And it would be hilarious, as I say, because for what I personally look to get out of winter, this winter was an sbsolute "F*** you!". Oh and make no mistake, I do not subscribe at all to the "stat padding" phrase that has been coined this winter on here. Snow is snow! It always has been and always will be, and whether a 2-inch fall lasts on the ground 2 weeks or a 10-inch fall melts in 2 days, its still 2 or 10 inches of snowFALL. But mark my words, if we have a cold but dry winter next year and we have the same amount of snowfall as this winter but much more snowcover, I will be happy. Certainly not what I ordered, but I would be content. With the vegetation as advanced as it is, if a real April coldsnap hits, clouds and snow (provided its not a heavy amount) will SAVE some vegetation from a clear, radiational cooling hard freeze night.

Wow the euro has quite the trough next week. Verbatum lots of folks would see flakes, freezes, and on Tuesday, highs will not get out of the 30s for those of us N of I-80, which is some 20F below normal. GFS not as deep with the trough, and no doubt the euro will change quite a few times, but still very impressive look for those few who want a last gasp of winter.

Wow the euro has quite the trough next week. Verbatum lots of folks would see flakes, freezes, and on Tuesday, highs will not get out of the 30s for those of us N of I-80, which is some 20F below normal. GFS not as deep with the trough, and no doubt the euro will change quite a few times, but still very impressive look for those few who want a last gasp of winter.

As DTX stated, "the next time you think it's too cold for this late in spring

or we can't possibly have a measurable snowfall in May across

Southeast Lower Michigan, you might want to THINK about it again

(or maybe not)." I prefer the maybe not. Bring back the 70s and 80s.

Highs in the upper 30s is pushing it. Low to mid 40s in reality. Either way it's going to be chilly. Just like last April.

Highs in the upper 30s is pushing it. Low to mid 40s in reality. Either way it's going to be chilly. Just like last April.

We just had upper 30s this past weekend/ late last week here with nowhere near as cold 850's.. Granted it will be 1 more week of strengthening sunshine but still with even colder 850s depicted upper 30s is NOT pushing it..

This is all based off runs similar to that 12Z EURO run though..

We just had upper 30s this past weekend/ late last week here with nowhere near as cold 850's.. Granted it will be 1 more week of strengthening sunshine but still with even colder 850s depicted upper 30s is NOT pushing it..

And one more week for the models to trend this warmer to the 40s. Love the fall and spring ungodly long range cold bias.

I was using the 2m temps per the EURO, and they were in the 30s at all 4 times during the day (2am, 8am, 2pm, 8pm). Again, thats just verbatum...not saying it will happen at all, bit its certainly a possibility.

Not to sure if this is the correct thread, but looks all like the bugs have been killed off within the last week and after Friday's inch or so of snow. During the torch we were swarming with bees and flies, but I haven't seen any since late last week.

Not to sure if this is the correct thread, but looks all like the bugs have been killed off within the last week and after Friday's inch or so of snow. During the torch we were swarming with bees and flies, but I haven't seen any since late last week.

Yup..Noticed the same around here..

Archived