• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

Im not sure with temps potentially dipping in the upper teens will help. Not after last night, today and tonight. This plants are fudged

It helped today was in the 40s with sun. As the ground retained some warmth. The trees that have budded are fine. Fruit tree farms I'm sure have been tended too. And spraying them with water works wonders. Things might turn out ok. Although asparagus has sprouted. It's that stuff that might get fooked.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think mid 20s or so would be the point of no return, even with a thin ice layer over everything. I know when the farmers in FL put a layer of ice on the citrus, 24° and below I think is just too much cold regardless of that ice layer.

I think the key is too, the duration of temperatures in the 20s.

It helped today was in the 40s with sun. As the ground retained some warmth. The trees that have budded are fine. Fruit tree farms I'm sure have been tended too. And spraying them with water works wonders. Things might turn out ok. Although asparagus has sprouted. It's that stuff that might get fooked.

I dont know. Temps have been below freezing for a couple hours now. I just think it will be way to long in the 20's to save a lot of these plants and vegetation

It will be interesting to see what survived. Even then it may not matter. We still have about 45 days to go before the normal last day of frost/freeze in my area.

Thursday night low of 30. Im sure next week there will be more days. Far from done

Of course...Chicago is a giant heat sink of concrete...same for Minneapolis. Areas outside that actually grow crops aren't so fortunate.

Euro isn't as nasty at 240...but does carve out a nice trough in the east:

243ku81.png

I love those geo height maps. Good choice!

Upon quick inspection all of my plants and flowers passed the freeze test last night. Not one hint of burn or cold wilt. Most def the UHi helped here and the copious amounts of water that I sprayed last night. The drive to work out in the northern burbs reveled many flowering trees that appeared to survive the fast plummet. Only time will really tell. Harvest season on fruit trees is some 2-3 months out on the cherries and 6+ on apples. Peaches are a ways off too. This thread might be usefull to bump come this fall.

Damage appears to be light here in northern Ohio despite lows in the 25-30 degree range (locally colder). Am worried areas a bit farther east of the Cleveland/Akron metro where some fruit is grown may have fared worse. Still will likely see more chances at a killing freeze and parts of MI got several degrees colder, so I'd imagine their is notable damage up there to fruit trees.

Looking through some stations in Michigan, it doesn't look too bad. Looks like wind and possibly clouds kept temps from diving too far. I'm sure some low spots/cold spots will see some damage...

Livingston county got down to 26 for 1 hour... Was sub 28 for about 4 hours.

Only made it to 38 as SE winds stayed up all night. That was my main concern going in.

Interestingly, made it down to 36 on my thermometer this morning. And I'm in an "urban" location.

LAF is developing a warm bias with min temps this month, compared to other central Indiana locales (I threw in CMI as well, as it tends to run close to LAF).

LAF: 46.1

IND: 46.1

HUF: 45.4

GEZ: 44.8

EYE: 44.7

MIE: 44.2

BMG: 43.3

CMI: 42.3

And just for kicks, average max temps this month:

HUF: 68.0

BMG: 67.8

LAF: 67.7