joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you speed up this 300 hPa GFS loop you can see a block initially centered over Great Britain propagates west slowly but surely, and is centered more towards Greenland by day 7. Probably the result of a planetary scale Rossby wave moving west. When the jet stream hits the block it amplifies into troughs (longwave Rossby waves) that dive into eastern North America, which eventually wavebreak over the Atlantic (forming cutoff lows). With the current setup the northeast is more favored for cold air outbreaks and we're just on the backside, so things will have to change on a planetary scale before we really get freezing weather. Things are becoming more favorable for cold air outbreaks as long as the westward propagation continues, but who knows.

http://tempest.aos.w...c300_flash.html

Some interesting numbers from FWA:

1910 - 10 70+ degree days in March - 18 days thereafter hit 32 - 4 of those days hit 28 - lowest temp 14

1907 - 9 70+ degree days in March - 20 days thereafter hit 32 - 10 of those days hit 28 - lowest temp 20

2007 - 7 70+ degree days in March - 12 days thereafter hit 32 - 7 of those days hit 28 - lowest temp - 20

1945 - 6 70+ degree days in March - 9 days thereafter hit 32 - 1 of those days hit 28 - lowest temp 28

From the looks of this data, a hard freeze after a warm March is inevitable for the Great Lakes region.

18z gfs drops polar vort down into great lakes. That is ridiculous and is 240 hrs + out. Wait until it is 100 hrs out before you begin to get specific.

I don't recall bowme suggesting that the PV would drop in to the GL? :huh:

While i think we are gonna go in the other direction eventually ( Below normal temps ) it is very possible the models could be trying to push it in too quick? Right now i would say they are just hinting at it. Now if they hang on to this and get it inside of say 120hrs then yeah the chances go up. Then there is even the chance it slips in quicker too which is always possible with the AO/NAO etc going the other direction. As turtle pointed out the better odd's will be first in the ne and even eastern/lower lakes for the reasons he mentioned.

Regardless of all that frosts and freezing temps are looking like a good bet especially away from the warmer lakes.

What? :blink: I don't think it is possible to get that cold this time of the year.

It has been colder up this way in April. So yeah it is possible. Coldest ever April temp at Lansing for instance is -6. Latest 0 degree reading is April 18th i do believe. ;)

Down that way it could be different? I have not looked that closely at climo records there so not sure.

Not saying we will get that cold. Just saying it has been even colder before and thus it is possible.

I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here (for the 240+ stuff). Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that the models were showing a blossom-roasting freeze after that initial warm-up? The ensembles are all over the place, and the EC isn't really biting. Also, even if the GFS were to come pretty close, the ridiculous expanse of snow cover-free area would serve to moderate that airmass significantly this time of year.

My WAG is that we'll see a glancing blow, but not anywhere near a 2007-esque plunge. The trend this year has been transient and/or glancing blows.

I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here (for the 240+ stuff). Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that the models were showing a blossom-roasting freeze after that initial warm-up? The ensembles are all over the place, and the EC isn't really biting. Also, even if the GFS were to come pretty close, the ridiculous expanse of snow cover-free area would serve to moderate that airmass significantly this time of year.

My WAG is that we'll see a glancing blow, but not anywhere near a 2007-esque plunge. The trend this year has been transient and/or glancing blows.

Again i don't think ( unless i missed something? ) anyone is saying the GFS will be correct with it's deep freeze it is showing way out in the extended?

Secondly. I think too many are getting caught up in the trend stuff. Like everything in weather trends change and don't last forever. How long have we been in this pattern and usually how long do we stay in the same pattern? Now ask that when enso is changing from Nina to Nino? Again i am not saying the GFS will be correct. What i am saying is the above normal regime/everything ending up warmer will come to a end. More of a question when? Thus look to stuff ( EPO/AO/NAO/MJO ETC ) that typically force such changes.

The models may very well be pushing the idea too quickly while others are too slow which IS common to see when patterns start to break down. So again i am not saying the GFS is correct or will be totally wrong either.

Looking at the stuff that usually forces a pattern change i would go as far to say that we will see a pattern change and perhaps a huge one by some standards ( consider what we just had and thus even near normal would be big ) as far as it goes. Reasons are ENSO, Tropical forcing aka MJO for starters. Just a matter of when. The sudden change in the overal AO/NAO state says it could be sooner then models even suggest. Nina to Nino climo says a little bit later say Mid April. A few years it did not happen till may but all Nina to Nino analogs says it happens by May with the lone exception of the 76 analog but even that had some decent chill in April and May.

As for what happened this winter see the QBO/ENSO/Solar stuff which even i sorta missed as i did not put much effort into it this winter.

I would agree with this, there were several times this winter when the models showed crazy cold only to have it vanish as we got closer or taper it down significantly. I do think if anyone gets cold in the region it would be Eastern Lakes, and probably not significantly cold maybe seasonally cold but even at that it will probably be transient like it has been all winter. Honestly though any model out beyond 192hr is really just not too useful to base an idea upon. It could show it snowing 5' of snow or show us in the 90s neither would be taken for a grain of salt.

I would agree with this, there were several times this winter when the models showed crazy cold only to have it vanish as we got closer or taper it down significantly. I do think if anyone gets cold in the region it would be Eastern Lakes, and probably not significantly cold maybe seasonally cold but even at that it will probably be transient like it has been all winter. Honestly though any model out beyond 192hr is really just not too useful to base an idea upon. It could show it snowing 5' of snow or show us in the 90s neither would be taken for a grain of salt.

How does the 5 day 12Z Euro work for ya? <0 C 850 temps Thursday, Friday and Saturday for your neck of the woods... Also with the pattern coming up according to the models the snowpack up in Canada will rebuild as well..

ecmwfNA_850_temp_144.gif

Seems to me the NOA is heading into very (-) teritorory near months end. Infact it looks to be the lowest for the entire winter. I hope this is not trend for near normal temps. If so the ecologicial balance will be a mess this summer.

Even if the blossoms don't get dammaged by the frost in the upcomming weeks the lack of bees will prevent any cross pollination. What a mess.

Archived