• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

Interestingly, made it down to 36 on my thermometer this morning. And I'm in an "urban" location.

LAF is developing a warm bias with min temps this month, compared to other central Indiana locales (I threw in CMI as well, as it tends to run close to LAF).  

LAF: 46.1

IND: 46.1

HUF: 45.4

GEZ: 44.8

EYE: 44.7

MIE: 44.2

BMG: 43.3

CMI: 42.3

And just for kicks, average max temps this month:

HUF: 68.0

BMG: 67.8

LAF: 67.7

CMI: 67.4

IND: 67.0

GEZ: 66.8

EYE: 65.9

MIE: 64.1

I was wondering if you'd chime in. I figured you were colder since you tend to be, plus this setup favored colder readings farther east.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freezing Temperatures Cause Havoc to Some Vegetation and Fruit Trees in Southeast Lower Michigan - 3/27/2012

http://weatherhistorian.blogspot.com/2012/03/back-to-reality-frost-and-freezing.html

12hrs? I clocked in 8 hrs SE Oakland. UHI maybe? Did notice parts of the thumb got real cold for a long duration. Lollipops of 20 spread around there.

EDIT: make that 9 hrs below 32 IMBY. Needless to say it was waaaay to ****ing cold last night.

Low was 28F at DET and 29F at DTW. Though it didnt sink very low, it hovered from 29-30 for 8 consecutive hours. The only damage really noted, to the naked eye at least, was the brown magnolias. Some of them looked like a tree in Fall with brown leaves.

That's sad looking. So for this tree... no leaves until later? Hear about the asparagus? ...I know that doesn't like cold whatsoever!

Off the 18z NAM, freezing weather further west for tomorrow night.

temp42.gif

I'm...dreaming of a white...EASTER......just like the ones I rarely knewwww (until 2007 and 2008). :lol:

Me too here...only white easters I had were 1989 and 1996....though 2007 had partial snow cover...not sure I count that because it was the 40/60 snow cover with shade and sun. 2008 just had patches here.

Me too here...only white easters I had were 1989 and 1996....though 2007 had partial snow cover...not sure I count that because it was the 40/60 snow cover with shade and sun. 2008 just had patches here.

What the chances actually are, who knows. Thinking chances of snow is really high at some point in the extended, but the models are all over the place and even the GFS changes the dates for any cold drastically run to run. But it would only be super fitting if in a season when we had a bare Christmas, tied record high on St Patricks Day and the spring greenup was a full month ahead of schedule, if we had a white Easter (our only scenic white holiday this season was Valentines Day).

Easter 2007 (4-8-07) (crappy cell pic, there were actually drifts swirling against curbs, felt very wintry

756.jpg

Easter 2008 (3-23-08)...still plenty of snow remained from our 6.8" Good Friday snowstorm

1158.jpg

1159.jpg

What the chances actually are, who knows. Thinking chances of snow is really high at some point in the extended, but the models are all over the place and even the GFS changes the dates for any cold drastically run to run. But it would only be super fitting if in a season when we had a bare Christmas, tied record high on St Patricks Day and the spring greenup was a full month ahead of schedule, if we had a white Easter (our only scenic white holiday this season was Valentines Day).

Easter 2007 (4-8-07) (crappy cell pic, there were actually drifts swirling against curbs, felt very wintry

Easter 2008 (3-23-08)...still plenty of snow remained from our 6.8" Good Friday snowstorm

Nice snow bunny, lol. The only Easter we had with an actual snowstorm (that I experienced) was 1996. Starting snowing during easter dinner that afternoon. Ended up with 6.5"...then got another 17" two days later from another storm.

1997 was like 55-60F on Easter that 3/30...but then 3/31-4/1 had 33" ofsnow...so it was right after easter unfortunately...but I won't hold any grudges with that storm, lol. 1989 fell on friday night and saturday morning before that Easter Sunday. About 6" of paste which was still around obviously. Pattern may produce this year as it looks pretty goodthrough the next 2 weeks.

Nice snow bunny, lol. The only Easter we had with an actual snowstorm (that I experienced) was 1996. Starting snowing during easter dinner that afternoon. Ended up with 6.5"...then got another 17" two days later from another storm.

1997 was like 55-60F on Easter that 3/30...but then 3/31-4/1 had 33" ofsnow...so it was right after easter unfortunately...but I won't hold any grudges with that storm, lol. 1989 fell on friday night and saturday morning before that Easter Sunday. About 6" of paste which was still around obviously. Pattern may produce this year as it looks pretty goodthrough the next 2 weeks.

My grandmas neighbor made the snowbunny, but I didnt notice til I was leaving her house Easter night, but I still had to take a picture of it lol. We had snow showers in 1996, but Id say my closest memory to an Easter snowstorm had to be the blizzard conditions during the evening of Good Friday 2008.

Lots of important dates coming up, Tigers Opening Day April 5th and Easter April 8th, so the weather will definitely be watched closely. Obviously the details are a mess, but model agreement on some sort of cold at some point in the next 16 days is exciting for one last gasp of winter, but also scary to farmers, because vegetation is so prematurely advanced due to the epic 2-week torch, you wonder if todays brown magnolias were only the beginning. Actually, 32F and snow would be way better for the vegetation than 23F and clear. :weenie:

I read your thread in the NE forum, sounds interesting. Do you think it bodes well for the Lakes for getting snow too? It is very interesting seeing all that cold setting up in Canada. Like you said, if only we had that pattern in winter :lol: You guys had that big Oct snowstorm, here it was more "seasonal", with most of our snow falling in Jan/Feb (though it never lasted long on the ground).

My grandmas neighbor made the snowbunny, but I didnt notice til I was leaving her house Easter night, but I still had to take a picture of it lol. We had snow showers in 1996, but Id say my closest memory to an Easter snowstorm had to be the blizzard conditions during the evening of Good Friday 2008.

Lots of important dates coming up, Tigers Opening Day April 5th and Easter April 8th, so the weather will definitely be watched closely. Obviously the details are a mess, but model agreement on some sort of cold at some point in the next 16 days is exciting for one last gasp of winter, but also scary to farmers, because vegetation is so prematurely advanced due to the epic 2-week torch, you wonder if todays brown magnolias were only the beginning. Actually, 32F and snow would be way better for the vegetation than 23F and clear. :weenie:

I read your thread in the NE forum, sounds interesting. Do you think it bodes well for the Lakes for getting snow too? It is very interesting seeing all that cold setting up in Canada. Like you said, if only we had that pattern in winter :lol: You guys had that big Oct snowstorm, here it was more "seasonal", with most of our snow falling in Jan/Feb (though it never lasted long on the ground).

The pattern looks a bit more favorable for NY State/New England...esp early on as the core of cold is centered to the east...but the lakes look like they could have some good chances after 4/4...esp in the long range in the 4/7-4/14 time frame.

We are kind of due for a multiple snow event April....there were several of them in the past...but we've been in a bit of drought recently. This is as good a chance as any to get them as the pattern supports it.

The pattern looks a bit more favorable for NY State/New England...esp early on as the core of cold is centered to the east...but the lakes look like they could have some good chances after 4/4...esp in the long range in the 4/7-4/14 time frame.

We are kind of due for a multiple snow event April....there were several of them in the past...but we've been in a bit of drought recently. This is as good a chance as any to get them as the pattern supports it.

Will be interesting to see. Multiple snow event Aprils are rare here, avg April snowfall is 1.7". Measurable snow has fallen during 97 of the 131 Aprils since snow records began. Despite our record snowfall in recent years, November and April snow has been more hit and miss (November especially, as April did see nice snowstorms in 2003, 2005, and 2009).

Will be interesting to see. Multiple snow event Aprils are rare here, avg April snowfall is 1.7". Measurable snow has fallen during 97 of the 131 Aprils since snow records began. Despite our record snowfall in recent years, November and April snow has been more hit and miss (November especially, as April did see nice snowstorms in 2003, 2005, and 2009).

That is a high percentage of measurable snow...sounds like a lot of Aprils had less than inch with that high percentage but yet only 1.7"...ORH has a lower percentage...about 68%...but the average April snow is about 3.6" or double of that of DTW. So obviously its skewed toward larger events which iscommon every time we compare New England to the southern lakes.

November has been a disaster here recently....April has been in a slump too, but not as bad as November. At least last year had a good event on 4/1.

That is a high percentage of measurable snow...sounds like a lot of Aprils had less than inch with that high percentage but yet only 1.7"...ORH has a lower percentage...about 68%...but the average April snow is about 3.6" or double of that of DTW. So obviously its skewed toward larger events which iscommon every time we compare New England to the southern lakes.

November has been a disaster here recently....April has been in a slump too, but not as bad as November. At least last year had a good event on 4/1.

Yup, 49 of the 97 Aprils had between 0.1 and 0.9" LOL. April is usually more of a "last taste" of snow type of deal more often than not here. Though our snowiest April was 25.7" (monster storm in 1886), our 10th snowiest was 5.0" and 20th snowiest was 3.7". Only 9 Aprils have had 6"+ of snowfall, and most of those were way back when (chronologically, 1881, 1885, 1886, 1894, 1923, 1926, 1943, 1982, 2009).

Funny April trend the last decade is the every other year snow event pattern at DTW

2002: T

2003: 5.0" (Apr 7th snowstorm, most Jan-like April snowstorm I ever experienced)

2004: T

2005: 4.3" (Apr 23-24th snowstorm, 6.7" imby, up to 16" in Detroits elevated NW burbs)

2006: T

2007: 1.6" (scattered events Apr 4-7 & 14)

2008: T

2009: 7.4" (Apr 5/6th snowstorm)

2010: T

2011: 1.6" (Apr 18th snowfall)

Yup, 49 of the 97 Aprils had between 0.1 and 0.9" LOL. April is usually more of a "last taste" of snow type of deal more often than not here. Though our snowiest April was 25.7" (monster storm in 1886), our 10th snowiest was 5.0" and 20th snowiest was 3.7". Only 9 Aprils have had 6"+ of snowfall, and most of those were way back when (chronologically, 1881, 1885, 1886, 1894, 1923, 1926, 1943, 1982, 2009).

Funny April trend the last decade is the every other year snow event pattern at DTW

2002: T

2003: 5.0" (Apr 7th snowstorm, most Jan-like April snowstorm I ever experienced)

2004: T

2005: 4.3" (Apr 23-24th snowstorm, 6.7" imby, up to 16" in Detroits elevated NW burbs)

2006: T

2007: 1.6" (scattered events Apr 4-7 & 14)

2008: T

2009: 7.4" (Apr 5/6th snowstorm)

2010: T

2011: 1.6" (Apr 18th snowfall)

Pretty cool...yeah April tends to be quite elevation dependent at our latitude....so its not surprised that DTW often gets a trace or amounts under an inch. I'm sure some of the places slightly higher did better outside of the city.

At ORH, there have been 9 Aprils with over a 6" snowfall just since 1958...and total April snowfall over 6" since 1967. (tha year had multiple events under 6" that added up over 9")

This upcoming pattern is as good as any to get more April snow back on the board though...again, I think the lakes will benefit the most in the post-4/5 pattern the most.

Pretty cool...yeah April tends to be quite elevation dependent at our latitude....so its not surprised that DTW often gets a trace or amounts under an inch. I'm sure some of the places slightly higher did better outside of the city.

At ORH, there have been 9 Aprils with over a 6" snowfall just since 1958...and total April snowfall over 6" since 1967. (tha year had multiple events under 6" that added up over 9")

This upcoming pattern is as good as any to get more April snow back on the board though...again, I think the lakes will benefit the most in the post-4/5 pattern the most.

Wow thats a lot of 6" storms so late. Elevation, elevation! Seems like March 20-30 has been a pretty good timeframe for 6"+ snowfalls at DTW, April 1st and later is much more rare. Because of the variability/changeability of long range forecasts, the main thing I glance at is the 16-day GFS output for DTW and listen in for those who get the euro weeklies. Each run of the GFS is so different from the last, Im just thinking, well, cold air is definitely available, so I figure its a gamble, lets see if we get anything out of it.

Temperatures are falling fairly well here. Down to 47° now. Winds are variable and under 5mph. 46° at 9:15pm

Brettman - what kind of trees are damaged?

I think most of the Great Lakes region will see a freeze within the next 7 days. By the way it looks now. Haven't noticed too much change in the leaf out today.

Usually around here there is at least a trace of snow in April about 50% of the time there is accumulation.

Update from MKX:

FXUS63 KMKX 290428

AFDMKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

1128 PM CDT WED MAR 28 2012

.UPDATE...

SURFACE RIDGE MOVES ACROSS WISCONSIN TONIGHT WITH MAINLY CLEAR

SKIES EXCEPT FOR SOME THIN CIRRUS SPREADING IN LATE.

FROST LIKELY IN MANY AREAS. SOME FREEZING TEMPERATURES BUT NO

WIDESPREAD 28 AND UNDER TEMPS EXPECTED.

41° here at 11:30pm.

Archived