• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

MSU had an update this today that there wasn't much damage this morning...that could change after tonite. Looks like a lot of growers will have freeze protection in full effect.

I read somewhere that it's not the temp but more about the duration of the temp. A few hours is allot less destructive than 12.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps are underperforming in Central lower Michigan... I'm topping out at 40 degrees and was forecasted to hit 46. I'm forecasted to hit 27 tonight, I'm thinking more like 21-25. All fruit trees are fully in bloom too.

Im thinking the outskirts may dip as low as 18-20 degrees tonight.

Doubtful here along the shore we'll dip below freezing, unless we get calm winds or winds with with a 260 flow. Even if it does dip below 30, there really isn't much vegetation to freeze that isn't a hardy spring plant anyway. I'm surprised that there are vegetation concerns elsewhere. Are sensitive crops actually in bloom in northern Michigan?!?

Are sensitive crops actually in bloom in northern Michigan?!?

I guess it's the fruit trees. I read somewhere or saw it on tv that the cherry trees are blooming. That's kind of nuts. Some of the bushes and small trees around here have actual leaves on them already. I don't know my trees real well but many of them here are full of flowers too. I would guess it's probably not much different a hundred miles north of here.

I guess it's the fruit trees. I read somewhere or saw it on tv that the cherry trees are blooming. That's kind of nuts. Some of the bushes and small trees around here have actual leaves on them already. I don't know my trees real well but many of them here are full of flowers too. I would guess it's probably not much different a hundred miles north of here.

The cherry trees are not in complete full bloom. They have budded from the reports I've heard( family). Let's see what happens.

Hope my crab apple tree gets royally ****ed tonight. If this freeze doesn't rob it's fruit then my chain saw will.

When will they stop issuing the freeze warnings for Northern MI?. I saw this yesterday, but they have not mentioned stopping the program since. "EITHER TONIGHT OR MONDAY NIGHT THAT THE EARLY RESUMPTION OF FREEZE HEADLINES WILL COME TO A QUICK END"

When will they stop issuing the freeze warnings for Northern MI?. I saw this yesterday, but they have not mentioned stopping the program since. "EITHER TONIGHT OR MONDAY NIGHT THAT THE EARLY RESUMPTION OF FREEZE HEADLINES WILL COME TO A QUICK END"

They won't stop until November I assume. They start when the growing season has begun, which nature has decided to begin 3 weeks ago.

Seems to me the NOA is heading into very (-) teritorory near months end. Infact it looks to be the lowest for the entire winter. I hope this is not trend for near normal temps. If so the ecologicial balance will be a mess this summer.

Even if the blossoms don't get dammaged by the frost in the upcomming weeks the lack of bees will prevent any cross pollination. What a mess.

Our bees are out. Our fruit trees were swarmed.

New observation for Traverse City: 30°/21°, calm winds.

Temperature has dropped off some here to 35.6°. Not a fruit growing area, but something might get nipped by some frost if WAA doesn't kick in.

Well the mosquitoes will be dying back for the short term.

Quote from APX:

Another hard freeze is expected tonight and early Tuesday morning as temperatures once again drop well into the teens and 20s. Because of an unprecedented early spring green-up (as much as six weeks ahead of schedule), residents of Northern Michigan are urged to take necessary precautions to protect sensitive vegetation.

Tonight's temperatures could be especially harmful to fruit trees, which have become quite vulnerable given the early warmth and green-up this year.

From what I've heard and what has been seen in my property in Antrim county ( northern MI) the few cherry trees that grace the property have only budded and have not blossomed. Obviously you can't assum the entire region is like this though. But for the most part I think the cherry farms will be just fine. Areas to the south though...might be a little different esspecially if they have just blossomed without pollination from bees.

Don't cover your flowers..water them. Works like a charm. BTW. I'm sure the fruit farmers were busy all day soaking the trees in and around the region. These growers are pros and many of them have horticultural degrees. Farming is big $$$.

Im not sure with temps potentially dipping in the upper teens will help. Not after last night, today and tonight. This plants are fudged

Archived