• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

Yes, but 75+% of production is elsewhere. Michigan should not affect the prices that much. Most big stores ship in from other states, instead of buying from local areas.

http://www.fas.usda....mber%202005.pdf

http://usda01.librar...-06-21-2007.pdf

http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/current/CherProd/CherProd-06-23-2011.pdf

80% of tart cherries come from MI.

Im not saying MI grows all the fruit in your grocery store lol, but its nothing to brush off. Its a big thing and a bad crop is bad for the economy.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm rooting for your spring snowstorm, I think there is a chance around easter of a snowstorm and by then the leaves should be mostly on... will be a fun time to watch.

I took this pic during the morning of April 24, 2005. Unfortunately I was at work during the most impressive of the snow. Was really something to see.

369.jpg

I took this pic during the morning of April 24, 2005. Unfortunately I was at work during the most impressive of the snow. Was really something to see.

Wow, nice pic. Remember how cold it got around this time? I had a trace of snow that day and a low of 31°.

369.jpg

Measured 16" total. Started late Friday Night (23rd) ended Sunday Night (25th). 11" was the deepest snow depth.

snow200504250906.png

lol

Back on topic, 12Z EURO looks Killer for some nice cool wx! :thumbsup:

This is a day 7 snap but day 4,5,6(Th,Fri,Sat) also ALL have <0 C 850 Temps for Michigan/GLakes!

We can't keep on having above normal months or long stretches of warmth. Gotta end sometime. Looks like that snow on the EURO is really close to the cherry growing areas.

Looks like some mild day with colder nights ahead. I know tonight going outside, it feels quite chilly.A

Article on the state of the cherry and other tree blossoms at risk from the freeze: http://themorningsun.com/articles/2012/03/25/news/doc4f6f8d451a79c027083183.txt

Measured 16" total. Started late Friday Night (23rd) ended Sunday Night (25th). 11" was the deepest snow depth.

snow200504250906.png

I had a storm total of 6.7", the peak depth being 5.5-6" on elevated surfaces and 4-4.5" on the ground. DTW had 4.3". Most areas from DTW had 4-8", DTW north 6-16". Was epic enough for Detroit, but a slight tick in elevation was all it took in Oakland county to make it downright unbelievable. I remember seeing pics of 3 foot drifts in the Bad Axe area. I believe it was taken by roardog maybe?

I had a storm total of 6.7", the peak depth being 5.5-6" on elevated surfaces and 4-4.5" on the ground. DTW had 4.3". Most areas from DTW had 4-8", DTW north 6-16". Was epic enough for Detroit, but a slight tick in elevation was all it took in Oakland county to make it downright unbelievable. I remember seeing pics of 3 foot drifts in the Bad Axe area. I believe it was taken by roardog maybe?

I remember the blizzard warning in the thumb for that event. Absolutely unreal.

Anyways.. I think GRR may be pushing it a little with a high of only 46. Ofcourse it is still 50 as of midnight so it could be the high. Guess we will see. As others have mentioned the models have come in a bit warmer in the short term. Thus the low of 29 expected tomorrow night may be a bit too low as well.

We somehow dropped down to 32 last night even with the strong winds. Currently 36... back to reality I suppose

uh oh...I may need to reconsider.  :scooter:

We have pretty warm air forecast above the surface tonight though which I have a hard time believing some of it wouldn't mix down if the winds stay up.

well already witnessed some damage to a couple flowering trees here in mid-western ontario. Low was 26. expecting a low of around 20 tonight. This is where living by the lakes most likely just saved a lot of vegetation. My hometown along lake ontario only dipped to 30 last night and expected to drop to around 26-29 tonight.

Speaking purely IMBY, we could be setting up for real problems down the road if another cold shot were to materialize. Even if we flirt with freezing overnight, it won't be enough to do serious damage for the most part. Things are 4-5 weeks ahead of schedule like everywhere else and will only continue to grow.

Speaking purely IMBY, we could be setting up for real problems down the road if another cold shot were to materialize. Even if we flirt with freezing overnight, it won't be enough to do serious damage for the most part. Things are 4-5 weeks ahead of schedule like everywhere else and will only continue to grow.

good thing there aren't any on the horizon

Archived