Newest Member
    joxey
March 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that fully deserves a :stun:

Off the charts...42 degrees above normal for today's high temp in Traverse City.

I bet their high tomorrow will be before sunrise. Edit: In fact I think that's a given.

Cooling off here into the mid 60s. Clear skies, light winds.

Maples are shedding their flower buds ...they were all over my driveway this afternoon.

Looks like we might not have much to talk about considering this mid 70Fs stuff looks to last a long time.

GFS shows an apricot killer on 3/29...

GFS has been hinting at the cold coming back towards the end of the last few runs.

MKX is discussing the possibility of a progressive pattern with the EURO or a cut-off low with the GFS next week. Cut-off low would end our warm streak early.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=MKX&issuedby=MKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

My maple tree buds are swelling, but they haven't popped open. Typical early spring flowers are doing good! Ferns seem to be dormant still.

MKX is discussing the possibility of a progressive pattern with the EURO or a cut-off low with the GFS next week. Cut-off low would end our warm streak early.

My maple tree buds are swelling, but they haven't popped open. Typical early spring flowers are doing good! Ferns seem to be dormant still.

I'm gonna deem you Debbie Downer. Always looking for ways to work cold into a post. LOL.

The cutoff the EURO shows next week spins west of us. If it stays about 100 miles west of where it is shown now, we will be locked into the warm side. Even if the 12Z EURO is right, we are warm thru next Thursday. Now that's the facts :)

GFS is weaker and is more SW with the cutoff.

test8.gif

GFS ensembles keep us very warm thru the end of the period.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ENSTDEP2_12z/tloop.html

Per the 18z GFS..The "cool" snap at the end of the run(300hrs+) is following seasonal trends of being highly transient and progressive. Doesnt look all that cold either. The 12z does bring the potential of some sneaky backdoor fronts it appears but nothing really cold or bone chilling.

The cut-off is what it is..tis the season for cut-offs.You know its spring when you are staring at major Omega and Rex blocks with cut-offs. Warmth last straight into April it apears. Stocking up on propane and getting my morel hunting stuff ready.

Yeah...looking out that far is a little iffy, but at least its hinting at something. We'll bounce back one way or another ...and we will need rain at some point. I remember not long ago we had a good stretch of sun and mild and then we went nearly a week with clouds.

Be interesting what farmers do. You'd have to think that a lot of fields are workable.

I'm gonna deem you Debbie Downer. Always looking for ways to work cold into a post. LOL.

The cutoff the EURO shows next week spins west of us. If it stays about 100 miles west of where it is shown now, we will be locked into the warm side. Even if the 12Z EURO is right, we are warm thru next Thursday. Now that's the facts :)

GFS is weaker and is more SW with the cutoff.

GFS ensembles keep us very warm thru the end of the period.

http://www.meteo.psu..._12z/tloop.html

I didn't get enough winter! lol

Typically I am tired of cold and snow by March 1st, but not this year.

Jim Ramsey was being a DD just now, lol

Mentioned the 8 times that Chicago hit 80° in March, 6 out of those years, Chicago had an accumulating snow afterwards.

Saw a cultivator out today... But then again, I also got stuck behind a combine near sycamore, so who knows.

I've noticed the farmers plowing up their fields too. No harm in doing that now. I know someone in soils and agriculture at UW Madison - I should ask them if they know what the farmers are planning!

A few cap breakers going up in MI/OH with a weak wave, and a few more in N. IL ahead of another weak wave moving through IA.

Still 69 at ORD as of midnight.

If not for storm chances, lake breeze potential and cloud issues...It could very well have been near 80 right on through next Tues.

I was in Lansing today, car thermometer said 80, the airport hit 79. Absolutely incredible and the best part about it, today wasn't the day I thought we would hit our highest temp in this heat wave. I am expecting that to be Monday or Tuesday. I hope it doesn't snow the rest of whatever season this is, especially after the amazing weather today. Btw that 81 in Traverse is unreal. That would be like 110-115 in the summer maybe even 120.

Made it to 75F at DTW, 74F in Wyandotte. No record here. Just wtf warmth.

One degree shy of the record at Metro Airport. So still, it was near-record heat for everyone. I think we would have made it to 76*F too had it not been for the passing Cirro/Altostratus during the mid-late afternoon hours.

So it is indeed WTF warmth.

I was in Lansing today, car thermometer said 80, the airport hit 79. Absolutely incredible and the best part about it, today wasn't the day I thought we would hit our highest temp in this heat wave. I am expecting that to be Monday or Tuesday. I hope it doesn't snow the rest of whatever season this is, especially after the amazing weather today. Btw that 81 in Traverse is unreal. That would be like 110-115 in the summer maybe even 120.

SOOOO Close to making some real history and thus the earliest 80+.. Still have a shot though.

Interesting extremes and warm/cold tid bits for Lansing. Lansings highest temp for March is 82 while the lowest temp is -24 for a spread of 106! Feb has the exact same spread of 106 with the highest being 69 and lowest -37!

Amazing to think the record lows are still down at -10 or colder. Latest -10 or colder temp is March 24th ( record high for the same day is 82 which is also the hottest temp for March as mentioned above ) while the earliest 80+ is March 22 *currently*..That could change in the coming days! Gotta love the extremes of March.

Latest 0 or colder is April 17th while the latest single digit temp is April 18th. Coldest temp ever for April is -6 and what some may find interesting the coldest temp for Nov is -5. One of the few climo sites that has as well seen a temp below 32 happen atleast on one occasion in every month of the year. July is the only month that has never seen the temp get below 30. April 19th is the latest in the year the temp has failed to crack freezing. The coldest daily high for March is 6 and what is amazing is it happened on the 20th! For April the coldest daily high is 24 which happened on the 7th, 13th and 17th..

Plenty of Canadians immigrate to Florida or just go there part of the year, lots of Canadian flags along the beach. I'm definitely moving back to the tropics when college is done, seasonal prisons aren't fun.

Why would you ever want to return to the cesspool of southern florida? I'd live in a cardboard box in the ghettho of milwaukee or detroit over south florida anyday.

Talk about a seasonal prison where the AC dictates your life for 6 months of the yr.

down to 59.

Archived