amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure wtf is up with my building, but I've had AC going for 6 hours now pretty much and my apartment is still around 80 °F. This is why I had to turn on the AC when it got into the 60s a couple days ago, this building is generating tons of heat. My ACs aren't weak either.

I got a feeling they're still running heaters somewhere in the building, it wasn't like this last summer. If that actually ends up being the case I'm going to be pissed at the stupidity on their part.

That cut-off low next week will really wet the soils down along the Mississippi River Valley back into the Plains. Bring some drought relief to some areas. 43° currently, visibility 3 miles.

Anyone on here being affected by those thunderstorms in Ohio? They look like they're putting down flooding rains.

hswt-00.gif?t=1331870988

Current Lake Huron SSTS, or maybe yesterday.

Forecast 5 days out:

hswt120.gif?t=1331871074

I think that is pretty neat. That water on the top stays pretty cold while the Southern sie obviously warms up.

I have no idea what is normal. But I would assume mid to upper 50s along the southern shores are pretty damn warm for mid to late March.

Is there any local fish species that will now breed or migrate because of this>

Forecast 5 days out:

I think that is pretty neat. That water on the top stays pretty cold while the Southern sie obviously warms up.

I have no idea what is normal. But I would assume mid to upper 50s along the southern shores are pretty damn warm for mid to late March.

Quite possibly there could be some impacts. I think most fish species in the Great Lakes like cool water for spawning. Under 10°C generally. Fish will probably move north if the water is too warm. I do water quality monitoring for the WDNR and all this warm weather worries me for the upcoming summer water temperatures. Warm waters = poorer water quality, which lead to lower levels of dissolved oxygen. The can lead to fish kills and higher e-coli counts. It will be interesting to see what the rest of the spring holds in store.

...The rivers fish spawn in would be even warmer!

NAM_221_2012031600_F84_SNOWIN_SURFA.png?t=1331868721

Nam snow depth 84 hours. that is likely a bit overdone in terms of coverage.

If this torch does pan out. This will definitely have consequences for our weather once we get back into a NW flow.

Overdone some yes, but this would be your positive feedback right here, you eliminate your cold sources to the North and then thing will tend to moderate as they drive Southeast whenever that may be. Doesn't look likely through the end of the month.

Fog monster is going to come back tonite...down to 48F and dp is right around there...no wind.

Turtle...

Sounds like that is the case. You need to slap some heads together. Find the furnace and shut it off...i shut mine off yesterday...the old girl ran hard this winter, time for her to get some rest.

Fog monster is here tonight! Super dense fog out there now. Can barely see 200 hundred feet! Lake and Cook Counties added to a dense fog advisory.

When I hit the circle interchange the car registered 83 degrees. By the time I got home up here on the northside... 58. Maybe there wasn't much fanfare with the front, but a 25 degree drop in about 5 miles is pretty significant!

I think it was the lack of fanfare, that's a nice drop. We finally saw some brief fog around 8pm or so but i don't think we ever dropped into the low 40s like some of the reports to our north.

Smelt season will likely be affected.

Here is the 'normal' smelt season details from the DNR:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_52261_52262-21769--,00.html

It says mid-April to early May. It says a 42-44 degree water is best spawning temps. So it is possible smelt may be spawning any time.

I think it was the lack of fanfare, that's a nice drop. We finally saw some brief fog around 8pm or so but i don't think we ever dropped into the low 40s like some of the reports to our north.

43° here with less than 1/4 mile visibility now!

A Very Early 80 in Madison

The record high of 82 in Madison on Thursday was definitely one for the record books, being noteworthy for a few reasons. First, the previous record was smashed by 13 degrees, a margin seldom seen in breaking temperature records. Second, it was the earliest 80 degree day of the year on record, beating the previous earliest date by two weeks! In addition, the high of 82 tied for the warmest temperature ever recorded in Madison in the month of March.

With highs expected to reach the mid to upper 70s in Madison the next few days...there is a chance this list could be made a bit longer if temperatures are just a bit warmer than anticipated.

Good agreement between short term guidance that we'll make another run at 80 and the record(78).

There will be a tight gradient though, so it will be interesting to see where ORD ends up.

I think they hit 80, onshore flow looks weak enough (until possibly much later) that they should be good to go.

55 downtown, think i'll top out in the upper 60s.

Turtle-

Shows 41F after a high of 82F...or at least that is what the NWS showed.

Yeah, if you just look at hourly obs they can fool you sometimes by a degree or 2.

56 as of 10 am, much cooler than yesterday at this time. This airmass today might be a little cooler than they expected.

66* and noon here with clear skies and no fog, should easily surpass the 71* forecast

Detroit has a legitmate shot at breaking the majority of the record highs over the next week. Whats the record for most consecutive records? :lmao:

FRI 3/16 74 IN 1945

SAT 3/17 75 IN 1945

SUN 3/18 72 IN 1903

MON 3/19 76 IN 1921

TUE 3/20 73 IN 1918

WED 3/21 73 IN 1991

THU 3/22 81 IN 1938

ALL-TIME RECORD HIGH FOR MARCH: 82 SET ON 3/28/1945

Archived