joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally getting some real good rain tonight. A heavy downpour dropped about 0.40" quickly a while ago and we've been getting off and on brief downpours since then. As with the morning cells to my east, these are very efficient rainers. I bet over an inch has fallen a few miles to my nw as that area got stuck under some orange and red for a while. There is not a lot of lightning, but there is some.

Edit: Forgot to mention that during the heaviest rain I heard something outside my window. I looked out and the lower section of my downspout had become detached. I couldn't just let the a ton of water flood the foundation so I had to go out and reattach it while it was pouring.

Finally getting some real good rain tonight. A heavy downpour dropped about 0.40" quickly a while ago and we've been getting off and on brief downpours since then. As with the morning cells to my east, these are very efficient rainers. I bet over an inch has fallen a few miles to my nw as that area got stuck under some orange and red for a while. There is not a lot of lightning, but there is some.

Edit: Forgot to mention that during the heaviest rain I heard something outside my window. I looked out and the lower section of my downspout had become detached. I couldn't just let the a ton of water flood the foundation so I had to go out and reattach it while it was pouring.

I've had to do that a couple times before too! It's not so bad when the rain is mild! lol

That's one large area of rain between KC and Central/Southern TX!

Still a balmy 71 out as we approach midnight. Freakin' amazing man.

Went out earlier and attempted to capture some lightning from a dying storm. It was pretty electrical until about the time I got set up. Captured this crappy pic before it ceased to produce lightning, although I did miss several good strikes while my camera was processing.

lightning031912.jpg

Still a balmy 71 out as we approach midnight. Freakin' amazing man.

Went out earlier and attempted to capture some lightning from a dying storm. It was pretty electrical until about the time I got set up. Captured this crappy pic before it ceased to produce lightning, although I did miss several good strikes while my camera was processing.

Looks good nonetheless! We were shooting some lightning Saturday night, but did not meet our standards either. One of the relatives brought out his new Gopro and did some shots. He said they were not perfect as still frames but good enough to try again. Something tells me that would be a nice easy equipment add-on to a chase.

This is a good year for this ridiculously warm March weather to happen. It would have been worse if it would have followed a very snowy Winter. Just imagine of it had been a snowy winter with lots of deep snowpack and places getting close to breaking records only to have March turn right into Summer. That would've been disappointing. This year, at least in this part of the state, there was no snowpack to melt and definitely no snowy records to break, so it was a perfect year for this to occur.

This is a good year for this ridiculously warm March weather to happen. It would have been worse if it would have followed a very snowy Winter. Just imagine of it had been a snowy winter with lots of deep snowpack and places getting close to breaking records only to have March turn right into Summer. That would've been disappointing. This year, at least in this part of the state, there was no snowpack to melt and definitely no snowy records to break, so it was a perfect year for this to occur.

Actually IMO this would have been much better following a harsh long winter. Spring is a beautiful time its a return to life and easy living.

Hoosier has been keeping track of LAF...i believe they were +18...I'm sure ORD is in the vicinity as well

Looking through the Great Lakes sites, it looks like Flint is the current leader with +16.4F for the month, with the next three days projected to be in the 80s. I suppose +20F is not out of the realm of possibility there. I'm sure you can count on one hand the number of times that has happened for a month in the Midwest.

Archived