Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2nd-4th Winter Storm

Powerball

Talk about March coming in like a lion.

In addition to Detroit and Toronto continuing to get screwed each and every way in the winter of 2011-2012, this could potentially be shaping up to be the most synoptically snowy period Northern Michigan and the UP has seen in 5 years between the two preceeding systems and this one.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about March coming in like a lion.

In addition to Detroit and Toronto continuing to get screwed each and every way, this could potentially be shaping up to be the most synoptically snowy period Northern Michigan and the UP has seen in 5 years between the two preceeding systems and this one.

Please don't mention Toronto's adeptness at getting screwed with any other city. We're in a league of our own.

Yea, Just looked up Toledo's biggest events they came close in 73 and 74 did not quite hit 15"

The last 15" snowstorm in my area was the March 08 blizzard and the early Feb 08 storm. Other storms include the Dec 2000 storm and the Jan 1999 storm, haha.

But still, I thought many areas would have gotten atleast a 15+ inch snowstorm in 07-08 or any other year in the past couple of years. Thats amazing guys, wow.

The last 15" snowstorm in my area was the March 08 blizzard and the early Feb 08 storm. Other storms include the Dec 2000 storm and the Jan 1999 storm, haha.

But still, I thought many areas would have gotten atleast a 15+ inch snowstorm in 07-08 or any other year in the past couple of years. Thats amazing guys, wow.

Well the way Northern burbs got a 1-3 events of 15"+ but the heart of Detroit None

You got 15"+ from the Feb 2008 storm? Round 1 of that storm mostly missed you guys to the south. That sounds a bit high.

You got 15"+ from the Feb 2008 storm? Round 1 of that storm mostly missed you guys to the south. That sounds a bit high.

I used to live in North York back then before I moved to Vaughan in March 08, haha.

But yeah I measured 14.8" with that Feb 08 storm which is a 15" inch snowstorm basically.

lol at this thread, its not even a storm talk thread about Mar 2-4, this all belongs in the complaint thread as hm8 alluded to. I will agree that Toronto is in a league of its own in recent years, but do you have any idea how bad northern MI has been wrt what they are supposed to get? They greatly DESERVE a period of several snowstorms...winters (by their standards) have been very subpar for about 6 of the last 8 years. Detroit and Milwaukee have had more synoptic snowiness than much of the UP in recent winters, and that is NOT normal.

Also, if a 15"+ synoptic snowstorm does hit northern MI, I can see some valid gripes from downstaters, but its laughable that whenever a 3-6, 4-8", or even 6-10" type storm is modeled someplace (of which Detroit has gotten way more than its average share lately) it immediately turns into talk of the last 15"+ storm. How does Marquette getting a 5-8" storm equate to Detroit going so long since getting a 15" storm? Why are we not comparing apples to apples?

I don't the once or twice in a lifetime type storms should be used as the benchmark as who's getting screwed more. It should be the run of the mill storms.

Per Josh, you've seen 5 8"+ storms since March 2008. Me = 0.

That is true. But as dmc pointed out, no 8"+ storms in a 5-year period in the '90s. How did Toronto do from 1994-98? (Might as well go OT as this thread sort of is OT in the first place :lol: )

That is true. But as dmc pointed out, no 8"+ storms in a 5-year period in the '90s. How did Toronto do from 1994-98? (Might as well go OT as this thread sort of is OT in the first place :lol: )

Ok, but Powerball was talking about the recent situation. Looking back at the data from Feb 1994 through December 1998, it wasn't a very fruitful period of 8" snowstorms here either. Just two, and both in the winter of 1997-98 (Nov 13-14, March 21-22). 1994-95, 1995-96, and 1996-97 were devoid of them, even though those latter two winters finished with hefty total seasonal amounts.

Slightly amusing is the fact that one month of either side of dmc's range of time, there were a total of 5 8" snowstorms. 2 in January 1994 and 3 in January 1999. So it's not quite as bad as it seems.

Hopefully up north gets back to back snow blitzes.

The 00z OP GFS is going bonkers for Marquette/western UP this weekend, which just so happens to be my up north weekend this winter. If that verified, better believe I will be driving the extra 2 hours to go to Marquette instead of the Soo. Boy did I pick the right weekend if that happens! (Last year I didnt even go because I just so happened to pick a weekend with 16" on the ground in Detroit and 10" in the Soo lol).

The Western UP and N WI/E MN get hit pretty hard on the Euro, 975mb low moving into Eastern UP probably going to be a big time blizzard.

Good for them, but it kind of sucks for most of us that these big systems finally show up at the beginning of spring when legitimate winter storm threats are on the decline.

Anyone know what the ECMWF ensembles look like for this storm?

When i get them later on i'll post it. They start rolling out at 2:45am.

I suspect they may follow suit. MJO has picked up steam again and has begun moving towards phase 3. Had been stalled out in phase 2 till yesterday/today and this does have a effect on things. See HM's comments about it in that medium range thread. NOT saying this will be the final solution either. Just saying the models will probably have some further adjustments.

Archived