Newest Member
    joxey
March 2nd-4th Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fixed

Everyone loves a good snow storm... To me living north of any great lake is almost like living next to a snow fence for storm development. Lets face it we are all due for a storm!!! Perhaps next saeason for this season is in the books!!!

Fixed again.

I am determined to enjoy this warm sector storm.

The 00z OP GFS is going bonkers for Marquette/western UP this weekend, which just so happens to be my up north weekend this winter. If that verified, better believe I will be driving the extra 2 hours to go to Marquette instead of the Soo. Boy did I pick the right weekend if that happens! (Last year I didnt even go because I just so happened to pick a weekend with 16" on the ground in Detroit and 10" in the Soo lol).

When are you going? I would plan to be there by midday Friday. Marquette to Munsing is looking pretty good right now (of course we know how things change). Sounds like a fun weekend!!

Everyone loves a good snow storm... To me living north of any great lake is almost like living next to a snow fence for storm development. Lets face it we are all due for another 20" storm! !! Perhaps next saeason for this season is in the books!!!

Chicago isn't.

In fact, they're about the only ones who have seen the "real" Winter Storms this season, with 2 or 3 of them as of today.

Chicago isn't.

In fact, they're about the only ones who have seen the "real" Winter Storms this season, with 2 or 3 of them as of today.

You sure have an obsession with Chicago. I believe Detroit actually has more snow this season than Chicago. Sure, they may not have had the big storms, but you guys had plenty of nice storms last winter which made it a good one, besides GHD being a bit disappointing.

u%20mad%20bro.jpg

Annoyed? Yes.

Mad? No.

I'm pretty much getting to the point of finding a new hobby (and finding ways to generate wealth in my life).

In any event, someone may very well get their largest snowfall of the seaosn out of this storm. NE Wisconsin into the UP of Michigan is looking good.

You sure have an obsession with Chicago. I believe Detroit actually has more snow this season than Chicago. Sure, they may not have had the big storms, but you guys had plenty of nice storms last winter which made it a good one, besides GHD being a bit disappointing.

Agree. I dont get the Chicago obsession either. Detroit usually does get more snow than Chicago (officially DTW averages 6" more annually than ORD). Its one thing to talk about Chicago being in the bullseye of an epic storm like GHD, but come on, now we are calling 4-7" storms "nice storms" when they hit Chicago, but as I recall when those hit Detroit they are repetitious, the same thing every time, blah blah blah :lol:. Well, by that logic then...Chicago has had two such storms this winter (4.9" and 5.4") and Detroit has had one (4.8"). But then last winter Detroit had 7 storms to Chicagos 4...in 2009-10 each city had 3...in 2008-09 Detroit had 7 while Chicago had 3, in 2007-08 each had 7. So since Fall of 2007, Detroit has had 25 storms of 4"+ to Chicagos 19.

Back to the topic at hand....I literally have a document with several cities Im charting (Negaunee, Sault Ste Marie, Gaylord, Traverse City, Houghton Lake)....with their current snow depth, forecast tomorrow, and the possible storm Friday night to see where Im headed up north. And now that Im tracking the weather up there, I see they go through the same thing we do....one run MQT has 1.5+ qpf, the next run less than 0.1. LOL my destination is going to be a last minute call made Thursday.

NAM is suddenly amping the crap out of this thing. 12z is strongest and farthest nw it has ever been. 06z GFS was wimpy and way east, though. It seems reasonable to go with the in between Euro for now.

It would be fitting to end this season with a sub-980mb bomb.

I don't care for the timing the NAM has though (worst psosible timing for any severe weather and torch prospects).

And also, it's the NAM. It hasn't had a clue since 2008.

LOL trying to track a storm for northern MI has proved worse than here in southern MI. it is maddening. Maybe I wont even book a hotel because I wont know where this things probably going til Friday. Ive taken a trip to the UP every year since 2007 except last year, and I have yet to be up there when snow is falling, so I want to make the most of it this.

WOW...the poor eastern UP. When will their luck change? Sault Ste Marie was forecast 6-10"...and ended up with 1.5" today. Thinking of going to Gaylord area this weekend....they have noticably more snowpack than the eastern UP...BUT....this storm Fri night is another wildcard. Will the south trend of this winter continue. Dont wanna drive 8 hours to Marquette when I can drive 4 to Gaylord for nice snow.....but do I do 6 hours and go to the Soo where they have less snow on the ground than the much-closer Gaylord area, but look to be more safely snow (attm) rather than mix? Omg decisions, decisions.

WOW...the poor eastern UP. When will their luck change? Sault Ste Marie was forecast 6-10"...and ended up with 1.5" today. Thinking of going to Gaylord area this weekend....they have noticably more snowpack than the eastern UP...BUT....this storm Fri night is another wildcard. Will the south trend of this winter continue. Dont wanna drive 8 hours to Marquette when I can drive 4 to Gaylord for nice snow.....but do I do 6 hours and go to the Soo where they have less snow on the ground than the much-closer Gaylord area, but look to be more safely snow (attm) rather than mix? Omg decisions, decisions.

Gaylord seems to make sense. While the UP has some decent snow cover right now. You would have to go west of Marquette to get the major snow depth but honestly this is not really an impressive this year to do that type of trip. One of these major LES years you should do a Keweenaw trip. It is very impressive. I have been there a few times during a couple of those 300"+ winters.

My favorite place around Gaylord area is just to the west: Petoskey & Charlevoix. Just love that area!!

This amped up NAM is crazy. Snow further into SE WI. Madison gets creamed on this run.

NAM has been pretty consistent with this look for the past few days. Though, not much else support at the moment. Not getting excited until I see other guidance come in line.

Gaylord seems to make sense. While the UP has some decent snow cover right now. You would have to go west of Marquette to get the major snow depth but honestly this is not really an impressive this year to do that type of trip. One of these major LES years you should do a Keweenaw trip. It is very impressive. I have been there a few times during a couple of those 300"+ winters.

My favorite place around Gaylord area is just to the west: Petoskey & Charlevoix. Just love that area!!

Thinking of heading to Gaylord/Grayling and winging it lol, stay at a chain hotel in town then just enjoy the weekend. Plus a 4-hour drive gives me a lot more time to spend outside enjoying. A trip to Marquette would basically be a travel day Fri and Sun with just 1 day (Sat) to enjoy.

I just cant believe the snow situation the eastern UP seems to be going through year after year. Sure, they have snow on the ground...but still. For a good comparison, think of how this winter has been nothing but heartbreak for us (especially south of you) in SE MI...yet if someone in Louisville or Baltimore spent the winter here theyd think, wow, it snowed quite often, nice winter! Its all relative to what your used to, and thats like 5 of 6 years the eastern UP is running at 50-70% of annual snowfall.

Archived