• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2012 Southeast Lawn, Garden & Fishing Thread

WeatherNC

Yeah,Tony and Keith are good guys.I grew up and started carp fishing in Gastonia.I fished their lakes quite a bit.caught the biggest fish of my life there,a 37 lb buffalo.I currently use the carpmaster2 reels that just came out last fall on Browning rods.baits still pretty much the same,trout chow,grits and corn,millet,soybean,ketchup and rice.going Mon.to Joes lake in spartanburg,cant waita!!

Yep, I met the guy who caught that fish. His brother owned one of the carp lakes I used to fish at. It was caught near the point where hwy 49 crosses lake wylie. Those buffalo carp can get really big.

What type of reeIs/rigs do you use? Back when I was carp fishing seriously, I had a nice set of "carpmaster" reels with graphite rods, I used two #4 eagle-claw hooks in a Caroilna rig

Flavored grits or corn was my usual bait of choice but I have used many different baits along with chow and millet, where it was allowed. True carp fishers are very reluctant to reveal what they have in their bait. I have seen guys even mix in some Jack Daniels.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah,Tony and Keith are good guys.I grew up and started carp fishing in Gastonia.I fished their lakes quite a bit.caught the biggest fish of my life there,a 37 lb buffalo.I currently use the carpmaster2 reels that just came out last fall on Browning rods.baits still pretty much the same,trout chow,grits and corn,millet,soybean,ketchup and rice.going Mon.to Joes lake in spartanburg,cant waita!!

I might have seen your picture on the wall. You probably know some of the guys I used to fish partners with. Small world....

Small world indeed,hate go-jacking the thread to talk carpin,but,my pic was up at midway 1 in Kings mtn.the whole summer,because I caught it in March,but at the end of the year,I got it back,and still have it! That was in 93.Did u ever see the mount of the 88rt?they had it hanging on the wall in the shack in KM,impressive fish!

I might have seen your picture on the wall. You probably know some of the guys I used to fish partners with. Small world....

I hit Lake Lanier yesteray seeing that it was 72° and sunshining... I got a sunburn to boot! (Going back tomorrow)

Caught the biggest Spotted Bass of my life yesterday. 5.35 lbs. Along with many, many more... it was a fantastic day to be off from work and doing some mental therapy.

post-1314-0-12627300-1331303867.jpg

Small world indeed,hate go-jacking the thread to talk carpin,but,my pic was up at midway 1 in Kings mtn.the whole summer,because I caught it in March,but at the end of the year,I got it back,and still have it! That was in 93.Did u ever see the mount of the 88rt?they had it hanging on the wall in the shack in KM,impressive fish!

Yep, saw it plenty of times. I used to fish Midway #1 and #2 quite often......Ahhh. those were the good old days.

I hit Lake Lanier yesteray seeing that it was 72° and sunshining... I got a sunburn to boot! (Going back tomorrow)

Caught the biggest Spotted Bass of my life yesterday. 5.35 lbs. Along with many, many more... it was a fantastic day to be off from work and doing some mental therapy.

AWESOME spot!! Hope to get on them in the morning on Keowee..half that size!

Pickwick has produced some monster bass really all winter. I have saw pictures of several 8+ pounders. Crappie are doing well too. Watched a guy pull up to a tree top last week and catch them as soon as he could get his line in the water. I have been once. Caught a couple bass, stripe, and crappie. Going to try again this week if the weather looks good.

Sending off 2 soil samples to the state for free testing. My front yard is almost 90% zoysia, which was plugged more than 20+ years ago. My back yard is around 60% zoysia. I hope this gives me great insight into how much and what I need to put on the lawn come May. I thought my thatch layer was really thick (more than 1/2") but I checked it the other night and it does not look like the thatch is causing any issues with growing. It looked healthy! Just hate that my lawn does not green up until late march early April and turns back brown when ever the nights begins to get cold.

I hope to get results back within 4 weeks.....

Preparing for new mulch to go in within the next few weeks. Look like I will need to have about 5 small dump truck loads to cover at a good 3-4" deep. $$ :(

First time cutting the grass this year, which is unusual for me because I never have to get out there until later this month into early April. The crabgrass finally died from the bouts of freezing temperatures so I had to weed-eat them. Other than that, the lawn had grown out of control after the first set of onion weeds grew but had to wait until my neighbor's lawn mower got a new battery.

Unfortunately, it still has a terrible issue with not wanting to pull forward when I squeeze the lever, and it gave me quite a workout with the combination of the thickness of the grass and the fact that it was still partially wet when pushing it. The neighbor said it may be that the gears aren't working to where it will allow it to pull (transmission maybe?) but he doesn't know how much it costs to repair such.

First time cutting the grass this year, which is unusual for me because I never have to get out there until later this month into early April. The crabgrass finally died from the bouts of freezing temperatures so I had to weed-eat them. Other than that, the lawn had grown out of control after the first set of onion weeds grew but had to wait until my neighbor's lawn mower got a new battery.

Unfortunately, it still has a terrible issue with not wanting to pull forward when I squeeze the lever, and it gave me quite a workout with the combination of the thickness of the grass and the fact that it was still partially wet when pushing it. The neighbor said it may be that the gears aren't working to where it will allow it to pull (transmission maybe?) but he doesn't know how much it costs to repair such.

If transmission is belt driven check the tension. Some can be tighten or replace the belt. A transmission for a push mower is $100.00 or more. Cheaper to get a new one. i use lawn boy push mowers from Home Depot. They are $289.00. We have uses them for last two years and we use them daily. I use to buy commercial push mowers that cost $1400.00 a piece, now I just buy 3 or 4 to start a year off and still are cheaper than commercial push mowers

I would like a 4 cycle but they seem a little expensive.

too expensive and not worth it. We have tried them and find 2 stroke are better. We use Shindaiwa but may be a tad high for homeowners. Around$300. Echo makes a good product for homeowners as does Stihl. Stihl has a fs 80 or 85? And echo has a 260s?

Nice string of crappie, pretty intense for 2 hrs i'd say.

I was wondering how the crappie fishing was on the big lakes, in fact that was what I was going to ask. I'm curious, if anyone knows, what's the wonder temps for hartwell, russell, and clarkes hill?

Here is a tip, which might be an old one now but look for beaver houses for crappie fishing. Years, ago, I'm talking probably 20 years at least, me, my father, and a friend decided to try out beaver houses on lake russell and we hit gold. No one ever fished them at the time..I think we were one of the first ones because I mean we literally saw no one except maybe bass fishermen around them but they were mainly surveying the creek, not the damn. We literally told no one out of fear of the word getting out.

Anywho, they were so aggressive you could put your minnow in the water and catch one within 5 seconds. Sometimes as soon as it hit the water, literally. Hell we even caught 2 or 3 crappie off of dead minnows all the time when they were on bed. And we always were fortunate to catch huge females, some up to at least 2 to 2 and 1/2 bounds. They often would come in waves. You would catch tons of them for a while, then it would calm down, but they come back after an hour or two. We of course would end up with at least 30 a piece (which I think was the limit at the time) but could have caught much more.

After a while (maybe 6 or 7 years), people finally caught on and every beaver house we went to had one or even two boats on it. It was so frustrating.

I don't know how it is these days but if you see one this time of year (if the water temp is right), you go for it..especially if it's one with a deep drop off. Pearl mill and middleton on beaverdam creek had a lot of them near by when we were there last time. One was directly across from pearl mill and once you enter the cove, it's on the right. Our other favorite was one in a cove above middleton, maybe a mile, on the right...with the beaverhouse on the right. Not sure if they are there now though since it's been so long.

I always heard of people catching 70 to 100 while trolling and I nor us ever had any luck with it (besides I hated it to begin with). If you like sitting in one place, no wind (generally) and away from view from people, they are the place to be since most of them were up a creek aways.

I've been wanting to go back for a long time but every year I just haven't had the chance. I truly miss it since it was and still is my favorite thing to fish for. Fortunately, we stocked our two lakes with them years ago so I can go there, which is much easier obviously than traveling the 30 miles to get there from where I live. If anyone goes, let me know how it is. I'm really curious to know if they are still there and/or if there are new ones (just describe their location to them because other than the two I mention, I always get middleton and pearl mill confused) and if they are still a hot spot. Plus I'm curious copycats still swamp them.

Lol, funny you mention Beaverdamn Creek. We have have a hunting cabin in elbert county, GA that’s about 300 yards away from the lake. If you follow our trail down to the lake... it comes out on the east side of the lake just above middleton boat ramp. If are standing on the boat ramp and look to your left and see the large island... our place is just past that island on the right.

By road, if you turn onto the road that has the Pinderosa campground, our place is at the end of that paved road on the right.

We actually fished down there last weekend and didn’t have much luck. I have, however, absolutely wore out crappie fishing beaver nests like you are talking about.

To answer your question; in a normal winter you can start catching crappie shallow when the water starts getting in the low 50’s. This year, I don’t think the water ever got much lower than that all winter long.

We’ve been catching them shallow on Hartwell for the the last month and the water temps have ranged from 55 to 60.(I haven’t been out in the last 10 days).

I use to have really good luck, several years ago, fishing the beaver nest all the way in the back of the cove to the right immediately after you go under both the train bridge.

We went there this past weekend and there was no beaver nest to be found!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how the crappie fishing was on the big lakes, in fact that was what I was going to ask. I'm curious, if anyone knows, what's the wonder temps for hartwell, russell, and clarkes hill?

Here is a tip, which might be an old one now but look for beaver houses for crappie fishing. Years, ago, I'm talking probably 20 years at least, me, my father, and a friend decided to try out beaver houses on lake russell and we hit gold. No one ever fished them at the time..I think we were one of the first ones because I mean we literally saw no one except maybe bass fishermen around them but they were mainly surveying the creek, not the damn. We literally told no one out of fear of the word getting out.

Anywho, they were so aggressive you could put your minnow in the water and catch one within 5 seconds. Sometimes as soon as it hit the water, literally. Hell we even caught 2 or 3 crappie off of dead minnows all the time when they were on bed. And we always were fortunate to catch huge females, some up to at least 2 to 2 and 1/2 bounds. They often would come in waves. You would catch tons of them for a while, then it would calm down, but they come back after an hour or two. We of course would end up with at least 30 a piece (which I think was the limit at the time) but could have caught much more.

After a while (maybe 6 or 7 years), people finally caught on and every beaver house we went to had one or even two boats on it. It was so frustrating.

I don't know how it is these days but if you see one this time of year (if the water temp is right), you go for it..especially if it's one with a deep drop off. Pearl mill and middleton on beaverdam creek had a lot of them near by when we were there last time. One was directly across from pearl mill and once you enter the cove, it's on the right. Our other favorite was one in a cove above middleton, maybe a mile, on the right...with the beaverhouse on the right. Not sure if they are there now though since it's been so long.

I always heard of people catching 70 to 100 while trolling and I nor us ever had any luck with it (besides I hated it to begin with). If you like sitting in one place, no wind (generally) and away from view from people, they are the place to be since most of them were up a creek aways.

I've been wanting to go back for a long time but every year I just haven't had the chance. I truly miss it since it was and still is my favorite thing to fish for. Fortunately, we stocked our two lakes with them years ago so I can go there, which is much easier obviously than traveling the 30 miles to get there from where I live. If anyone goes, let me know how it is. I'm really curious to know if they are still there and/or if there are new ones (just describe their location to them because other than the two I mention, I always get middleton and pearl mill confused) and if they are still a hot spot. Plus I'm curious copycats still swamp them.

Had never heard that about beaver dams before but it makes sense. Had a beaver slap the water at about 4:30 AM one morning while fishing the Watauga river - scared the crap out of me until I got my wits and figured out what it was.

Archived