joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Southeast Lawn, Garden & Fishing Thread

WeatherNC

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blossom end rot showing up in my tomatoes. I've worked on calcium levels and kept them watered. Think it must be the heat. Small tomatoes are doing well. Planted more of that variety due to a hot June being anticipated. Is the calcium spray effective? Beans look good. Cukes are bitter. Cabbage is good. Potatoes are productive. Squashes are decent but have succumbed to wilt. Still organic up to this point. Good crop of early season strawberries finishing. Sweet potatoes are producing good vines. Side dressed w tomato tone and fish emulsion.

Im having the same problem with BER but not as bad as last year. I've messed with the calcium levels in the past but nothing seemed to work. My okra and beans are coming in good and I'm already tired of squash. My corn took a hit with the drought but it still is getting pretty tall. I've got some sorghum planted for the first time and it seems to be doing great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

grass is really taking a beating now. Burning up like a white man with no sunscreen going to lay out at the beach for first time in his life. Lawns with irrigation are still just getting baked and only going to get worse

As we move into the latter part of the grass growing season I wanted to share my secret for a lawn.

Lived in house 13 years

Total Lawn Expenses

Grass seed $0.00

Weed control $0.00

Fertilizer $0.00

If it grows there I mow it with a mulching deck. That's it. LOL

In any case here are a few pictures I took this week of my natural weed lawn. In order, front, back and side yard.

i-sdPx9k3-L.jpg

i-ZDVQRv7-L.jpg

i-KVgT629-L.jpg

I think you have found the secret to a nice lawn! I tried to put a lot of time and $ into it,and it was a losing battle.as long as everything is green and you keep it mowed,you can't tell weeds from grass at a distance anyway.

As we move into the latter part of the grass growing season I wanted to share my secret for a lawn.

Lived in house 13 years

Total Lawn Expenses

Grass seed $0.00

Weed control $0.00

Fertilizer $0.00

In any case here are a few pictures I took this week of my natural weed lawn. In order, front, back and side yard.

i-sdPx9k3-L.jpg

i-ZDVQRv7-L.jpg

i-KVgT629-L.jpg

Ha. That's what my front yard is, but the back is really rough because the previous owner had a bunch of grape vines (purposefully) for some reason.

I tried to plant tall fescue seeds this spring, but it all died once I stopped the extra watering (did 2x/day until germination, then 1x a day until it was 3-4", then I stopped). I'm going to try to seed it again this fall, but I'm not very optimistic.

Lived in house 13 years

Total Lawn Expenses

Grass seed $0.00

Weed control $0.00

Fertilizer $0.00

Good lord, if I took a picture of my weed lawn you couldn't even see a house. Haha, really though.. I've got every weed known to man. I don't think one blade of grass that can be bought grows here.. but the house is from the 1800s so.. I can't complain too much. I even have those darn spider lillies and wild onions going on.

Edit: and don't get me started on the clover around Easter. My Lord..

Good lord, if I took a picture of my weed lawn you couldn't even see a house. Haha, really though.. I've got every weed known to man. I don't think one blade of grass that can be bought grows here.. but the house is from the 1800s so.. I can't complain too much. I even have those darn spider lillies and wild onions going on.

Edit: and don't get me started on the clover around Easter. My Lord..

First of all, you can call me John. I'm just a man like you.

It's boring to have the yard look the same from March to October. The smell of wild onions during the first cut, a few yellow dandelions in the spring and again n the fall. The fragrance of sweet clover in late spring. And the most wonderful part of all, it cost nothing! lol

...and don't get me started on the clover around Easter. My Lord..

First of all, you can call me John. I'm just a man like you.

Shawn is just echoing the sentiments of the majority of the posters on this board, my liege. What is your bidding for we peasants of your serfdom?

(Seriously, you are quite witty with the comebacks. I always look forward to the interesting take you can find on each post.)

Shawn is just echoing the sentiments of the majority of the posters on this board, my liege. What is your bidding for we peasants of your serfdom?

(Seriously, you are quite witty with the comebacks. I always look forward to the interesting take you can find on each post.)

My favorite is, "Go forth and multiply"

I should clarify. I mean the traditional interpretation, not the modern.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Go%20Forth%20and%20Multiply

My favorite is, "Go forth and multiply"

I should clarify. I mean the traditional interpretation, not the modern.

http://www.urbandict...th and Multiply

I'm an old-school kinda guy. So, I can fully appreciate the traditional interpretation. Thank you for the clarification, though. Just in case there was any misunderstanding; though, honestly, I never would have thought to look up that phrase in urban dictionary. But, Wow!, you can find all kinds of new lingo and jargon there. And the English language continues to evolve. Or, is that devolve???

Yeah, very tough to get spring-planted fescue to make it through summer, especially if it gets much in the way of sun. Fall planting is the way to go.

Yeah it seems that way. This is my first lawn, and I didn't want to have dirt there all summer after clearing out the grapes so I figured I'd give it a shot. Getting ready to re-seed in October.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you all choose to do your last mowing? I wait till I have had 2 nights of below 30, and then mow the yard 1 notch lower then normal for the last time when 2 more nights are predicted to be below 30. Sound reasonable? Most normal years thats around the week of Thanksgiving.

I know some people "like" fishing reports from the Coast....

NO, the SPOTS are NOT running "yet", though they are schooling up in the rivers,, (sry UL was stuck),

We are still catching some Spanish Mackrel/King Mackrel(s), Whiting, AKA Sea Mullet, Nice flounder & Pomps....Along with NUMERIOUS Red Drum... A RECORD year , (year class) of Weakfish! AKA Grey Trout, as evidenced by last years warm winter has brought record Numbers of (Just Legal size), Gray Trout that survived Last Winter as Juvie's in the sounds,, in addition to Rules Limiting Catch size & Limits...

Hopefully, next weeks Weather/Pattern change will, start dropping Water Temps thus inducing, the Fall Spot run, along with other various Migrating fish...

Water Temps along the coast are STILL @ 79.0.....

Next weeks Weather should bring them down a few degrees @ Hopefully get the Fish Moving & Chewing!

If Peeps here Want Me to "post" fishing reports/coastal conditions, please chime in...

Peace out, CT

I know some people "like" fishing reports from the Coast....

NO, the SPOTS are NOT running "yet", though they are schooling up in the rivers,, (sry UL was stuck),

We are still catching some Spanish Mackrel/King Mackrel(s), Whiting, AKA Sea Mullet, Nice flounder & Pomps....Along with NUMERIOUS Red Drum... A RECORD year , (year class) of Weakfish! AKA Grey Trout, as evidenced by last years warm winter has brought record Numbers of (Just Legal size), Gray Trout that survived Last Winter as Juvie's in the sounds,, in addition to Rules Limiting Catch size & Limits...

Hopefully, next weeks Weather/Pattern change will, start dropping Water Temps thus inducing, the Fall Spot run, along with other various Migrating fish...

Water Temps along the coast are STILL @ 79.0.....

Next weeks Weather should bring them down a few degrees @ Hopefully get the Fish Moving & Chewing!

If Peeps here Want Me to "post" fishing reports/coastal conditions, please chime in...

Peace out, CT

I love the fishing reports. I am hoping to go down either to obx or holden beach end of month

How do you all choose to do your last mowing? I wait till I have had 2 nights of below 30, and then mow the yard 1 notch lower then normal for the last time when 2 more nights are predicted to be below 30. Sound reasonable? Most normal years thats around the week of Thanksgiving.

Depends on ground temperature as far as how long it will grow. Once you get a good frost on bermuda or zoysia its done for the year. I don't like mowing it that short but that is up to you.

When the last leaf has fallen I mow/mulch them into the grass and park the mower for the season.

My spring/summer garden was well, not a complete bust,but I was highly disappointed. One squash...a handful of tomatos( they would never turn red) handful of cukes. What did really well was my green beans and and okra. I was very happy with that. Couldn't wait to pull everything up. Now we have some collards and mixed greens planted. Seem to being doing well. Fingers crossed with that!!

Archived