• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Southeast Lawn, Garden & Fishing Thread

WeatherNC

Wild violet, perhaps?  They're about impossible to kill with normal herbicides.  My turf management company uses a product called Escalade to kill it.  It's not available to the average consumer to purchase, or so they say.

7.jpg

I had problems with a weed of that description in South Ga called Rattlesnake Weed. Google it and take a look at it. Not sure if it grows that far north. It is tough control but I managed to eliminate it with several applications of Atrazine.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. This is the third summer for this lawn. The brown patch occurred much earlier the previous two years, in late May and early June, both times after a prolonged period of heat/dry weather. This year, the lawn remained nice and green through early July. Then we had one week with no rain here at the house and it started browning. It's been relatively dry here ever since (we've missed out on many of the afternoon thunderstorms the past month) and the brown patch has been getting worse. I think it's more a function of the heat/lack of shade/poor soil in these parts than anything else.

I've applied Scott's Summer Guard as directed each summer, which says it prevents browning of fescue, but it has not worked for me.  That's why I was curious if anyone has experimented with a variety of grasses and gotten better results. I know this transition zone we live in is difficult, so I guess ultimately it's just going to be a continuous cycle of re-seeding.

Thanks guys. This is the third summer for this lawn. The brown patch occurred much earlier the previous two years, in late May and early June, both times after a prolonged period of heat/dry weather. This year, the lawn remained nice and green through early July. Then we had one week with no rain here at the house and it started browning. It's been relatively dry here ever since (we've missed out on many of the afternoon thunderstorms the past month) and the brown patch has been getting worse. I think it's more a function of the heat/lack of shade/poor soil in these parts than anything else.

I've applied Scott's Summer Guard as directed each summer, which says it prevents browning of fescue, but it has not worked for me.  That's why I was curious if anyone has experimented with a variety of grasses and gotten better results. I know this transition zone we live in is difficult, so I guess ultimately it's just going to be a continuous cycle of re-seeding.

OK, the way you describe that, it sounds more like simple summer heat.  That's the single biggest challenge for fescue in this area.  Like you mentioned, partial shade is ideal for fescue...but it's going to struggle in summer in hot, dry spells, especially in full sun.  Timely irrigation can help obviously.  You want to do things to try and grow deep roots...I aerate each fall, cut it high (I use the highest setting on the mower), and I use Starter fertilizer year round (for root growth)...and if watering, water less frequently, but for long time intervals...but with all that said, fescue is simply going to struggle in high heat.  On the flip side, a lot of times the browning is a temporary response to the weather conditions, and the grass will recover naturally better than you would think, in the fall. 

With respect to bluegrass, even though they've come up with more heat tolerant varieties, by nature, it's not going to be more heat tolerant than fescue.  Maybe equal to it in some cases, but not more tolerant.  Personally, I prefer fescue to bluegrass.

Brown patch has a very distinct look - that is, on the grass blade, it will have light tan / beige colored patches...and on the outside of those patches will be a rust colored ring, that's the distinctive characteristic of brown patch.

PuK8mwR.jpg

OK, the way you describe that, it sounds more like simple summer heat.  That's the single biggest challenge for fescue in this area.  Like you mentioned, partial shade is ideal for fescue...but it's going to struggle in summer in hot, dry spells, especially in full sun.  Timely irrigation can help obviously.  You want to do things to try and grow deep roots...I aerate each fall, cut it high (I use the highest setting on the mower), and I use Starter fertilizer year round (for root growth)...and if watering, water less frequently, but for long time intervals...but with all that said, fescue is simply going to struggle in high heat.  On the flip side, a lot of times the browning is a temporary response to the weather conditions, and the grass will recover naturally better than you would think, in the fall. 

With respect to bluegrass, even though they've come up with more heat tolerant varieties, by nature, it's not going to be more heat tolerant than fescue.  Maybe equal to it in some cases, but not more tolerant.  Personally, I prefer fescue to bluegrass.

Brown patch has a very distinct look - that is, on the grass blade, it will have light tan / beige colored patches...and on the outside of those patches will be a rust colored ring, that's the distinctive characteristic of brown patch.

I agree.  His brown grass appears due to heat and lack of rain.  I had the first occurrences of brown patch this summer after lots of heavy rain, high humidity, and general wetness.  It's a fungus response to the incredibly wet soils that can't ever dry out.  I had it treated once, but as you mentioned earlier, I can't afford to pay for that more than once a summer.

I agree.  His brown grass appears due to heat and lack of rain.  I had the first occurrences of brown patch this summer after lots of heavy rain, high humidity, and general wetness.  It's a fungus response to the incredibly wet soils that can't ever dry out.  I had it treated once, but as you mentioned earlier, I can't afford to pay for that more than once a summer.

Yeah, in reality, it's probably something that is only treated / prevented with chemical on golf course greens or high end locales / properties.

• 2 weeks later...

Wild violet, perhaps?  They're about impossible to kill with normal herbicides.  My turf management company uses a product called Escalade to kill it.  It's not available to the average consumer to purchase, or so they say.

Ok, I finally got a picture of this stuff. It looks similar to the picture you posted, but mine is much more dense, and it appears to be shorter. It never flowers. It just spreads and provides a nice, short layer of dense, green weedcover. Here it is. Any ideas?:

post-987-0-27149300-1377473110_thumb.jpg

Take a look at the photos on here - http://growitfirst.blogspot.com/2011/08/know-your-weed.html

The one that I've seen spreading more in my yard this year is the 3rd photo in that link - Wild Strawberry / Indian Mock Strawberry.  It stays low to the ground and spreads with runners...I haven't put any chemical on it, yet.

I've got plenty of the Mock Strawberry stuff too. And the creeping cucumber. And clovers. And dandilions. And poison ivy. And briers. I love weeding out all this mess. Just love it.

It looks like it could be dollar weed or penny wort.? They really like wet conditions, which definitely applies to this summer! Did you have it last year? It is a perennial weed, and will come back!

Yes sir! I've had it for years, but I haven't paid it much mind, as it's always been fairly contained. It seems to have spread in quite the robust fashion over the last year or two. Given what you said about liking wet conditions, this may explain the growth this year. I'm noticing bigger patches of it in more and more places in the yard.

On one hand, it seems to choke out the grass, so I kinda want to get rid of it. But on the other hand, I don't want to put in the amount of work that it takes to have a nice, all grass yard, and this stuff is nice and soft and green, and it mows well, so.... :)

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts!

Ok, I finally got a picture of this stuff. It looks similar to the picture you posted, but mine is much more dense, and it appears to be shorter. It never flowers. It just spreads and provides a nice, short layer of dense, green weedcover. Here it is. Any ideas?:

Wow...CR...Wow...  :yikes:

I think you just stick with that stuff, because I don't see any grass in that picture.  You could pretend it's a desired groundcover, throw in a few nice boulders, and call it a rock garden!  :P

Wow...CR...Wow... :yikes:

I think you just stick with that stuff, because I don't see any grass in that picture. You could pretend it's a desired groundcover, throw in a few nice boulders, and call it a rock garden! :P

Ha! I might just have to do that. :). The pic I took was taken fairly close up and in a fairly large patch of that stuff. That area is probably about 15' by 6' of mostly that stuff. I know that when I first moved into this house, there was grass in that area.

There are also some random, smaller patches of it popping up in other places around the yard. I have about .7 acres and I would estimate that the total percentage of that weed makes up about 2% of the total yard. Grass probably makes up 50%, weeds (not including this stuff) 40%, and dirt the last 8%. Awesome.

Ha! I might just have to do that. :). The pic I took was taken fairly close up and in a fairly large patch of that stuff. That area is probably about 15' by 6' of mostly that stuff. I know that when I first moved into this house, there was grass in that area.

There are also some random, smaller patches of it popping up in other places around the yard. I have about .7 acres and I would estimate that the total percentage of that weed makes up about 2% of the total yard. Grass probably makes up 50%, weeds (not including this stuff) 40%, and dirt the last 8%. Awesome.

You've got to get that grass percentage down below 30% to be able to join the WYA(Weed Yard Association).  Good luck!!

attachicon.gif0825131726.jpg

We have that stuff here in the western part of the state as well. Tough to kill.....haven't been able to get rid of it. I would like some suggestions as well.

We have that stuff here in the western part of the state as well. Tough to kill.....haven't been able to get rid of it. I would like some suggestions as well.

. It spreads by underground rhizomes, not sure about killing it , some concentrated round up or weed and brush killer may do the trick? Digging up to make sure you get the rhizome completely out could be tedious , but would probably be best

OK, the way you describe that, it sounds more like simple summer heat. That's the single biggest challenge for fescue in this area. Like you mentioned, partial shade is ideal for fescue...but it's going to struggle in summer in hot, dry spells, especially in full sun. Timely irrigation can help obviously. You want to do things to try and grow deep roots...I aerate each fall, cut it high (I use the highest setting on the mower), and I use Starter fertilizer year round (for root growth)...and if watering, water less frequently, but for long time intervals...but with all that said, fescue is simply going to struggle in high heat. On the flip side, a lot of times the browning is a temporary response to the weather conditions, and the grass will recover naturally better than you would think, in the fall.

With respect to bluegrass, even though they've come up with more heat tolerant varieties, by nature, it's not going to be more heat tolerant than fescue. Maybe equal to it in some cases, but not more tolerant. Personally, I prefer fescue to bluegrass.

PuK8mwR.jpg

use disarm or heritage fungicide for brown patch. Scotts products are a joke. For violets or any broadleaf weed use Tzone or speed zone. Tzone seems to work better. This time of year we use Q4

• 3 weeks later...

Is it too late to get down some Zoysia sod in Cary, NC?  I know that the preferred time to get it down is in the Spring, but I have just recently taken up the deck in my back yard and have nothing but dirt back there.  I'd rather not put down seed this fall and then kill it off in the Spring, but might have to.  Any advice on Zoysia sod this late?  I have an install scheduled for next Tuesday, but am considering cancelling.  Thanks in advance!

Is it too late to get down some Zoysia sod in Cary, NC?  I know that the preferred time to get it down is in the Spring, but I have just recently taken up the deck in my back yard and have nothing but dirt back there.  I'd rather not put down seed this fall and then kill it off in the Spring, but might have to.  Any advice on Zoysia sod this late?  I have an install scheduled for next Tuesday, but am considering cancelling.  Thanks in advance!

They put down bermuda sod at my daughter's daycare last fall.  It went brown quick, but ended up doing fine once the high heat arrived in May.  I would think that if you watered it really well after it went down that the roots would become somewhat established and ready for green-up when the heat arrives late next spring.

They put down bermuda sod at my daughter's daycare last fall.  It went brown quick, but ended up doing fine once the high heat arrived in May.  I would think that if you watered it really well after it went down that the roots would become somewhat established and ready for green-up when the heat arrives late next spring.

Thanks

They actually just put in new zoysia sod around the clubhouse at the golf club near my house...just another example

It's not to put any sod down.  You can sod in January even though it will be dormaent it still will be fine.  I have installed Zoysia in 2009 December when it was cold and it did fine in the spring.

They actually just put in new zoysia sod around the clubhouse at the golf club near my house...just another example

I appreciate both of your feedback...I had the sod installed on 10/2 and have been worried that early season frost/freeze might  ultimately kill the grass.  While I'm all for a cold/snowy winter I have to admit that I'd like to get in a few weeks of avg to above avg tems between now and 11/1.

I appreciate both of your feedback...I had the sod installed on 10/2 and have been worried that early season frost/freeze might  ultimately kill the grass.  While I'm all for a cold/snowy winter I have to admit that I'd like to get in a few weeks of avg to above avg tems between now and 11/1.

Frost will not kill the sod.  Keep it watered every day.  You want to make it real soft where you can't walk on it.  You cannot over water it as the roots will chase the water deep into the soil.  If it does frost it will start to go dormant but roots will still be active until heavy frost continues night after night.  Put a high nitrogen fertilizer on it towards end of October as a winterizer.  Should be good to go in April

Frost will not kill the sod.  Keep it watered every day.  You want to make it real soft where you can't walk on it.  You cannot over water it as the roots will chase the water deep into the soil.  If it does frost it will start to go dormant but roots will still be active until heavy frost continues night after night.  Put a high nitrogen fertilizer on it towards end of October as a winterizer.  Should be good to go in April

I really appreciate it...thanks!

Archived