• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Southeast Lawn, Garden & Fishing Thread

WeatherNC

Looking for suggestions for safely protecting my blueberry bushes for the next couple of nights. Freeze warning, 15-25 mph winds, fake snow forecast, I'm concerned. These guys look really good right now and loaded with buds and blossoms. Short of building elaborate walls, I'm out of ideas.

28º is the critical point. Are you supposed to get that low?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28º is the critical point. Are you supposed to get that low?

WXUnderground says 27 early tomorrow morning with a dp of 18, but I am only 100ft from the lake and I always think the warmer water insulates me by a degree or two. Sometimes I get more damage trying to cover things, plastic catches in the wind and damages new growth. I think I'll take this off my worry list for the day, I seem to suddenly feel very, very ill and I never get sick.

WXUnderground says 27 early tomorrow morning with a dp of 18, but I am only 100ft from the lake and I always think the warmer water insulates me by a degree or two. Sometimes I get more damage trying to cover things, plastic catches in the wind and damages new growth. I think I'll take this off my worry list for the day, I seem to suddenly feel very, very ill and I never get sick.

Good luck.  I read some of this. There's nothing you can't find out about these days.

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/yates/frost%20protection%20tips%20techniques.pdf

Good luck.  I read some of this. There's nothing you can't find out about these days.

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/yates/frost%20protection%20tips%20techniques.pdf

Good link. Also put the covers out during the afternoon to make sure you give enough time for whatever you cover the plants with to warm up and hold heat. A frost snuck up on me last April, and I didn't get a chance to cover my blueberries until near sunset. Didn't help a bit, lost 75% of the blooms.

Looking for suggestions for safely protecting my blueberry bushes for the next couple of nights. Freeze warning, 15-25 mph winds, fake snow forecast, I'm concerned. These guys look really good right now and loaded with buds and blossoms. Short of building elaborate walls, I'm out of ideas.

The contractor bags work great. Remember to remove them early the next day or you run the risk of trapping heat from the sunlight and damaging your plants.

Time to start spraying for broadleaf weeds in grass next week. Second application of per emergent goes out mid month

My weed lawn is greening up nicely. I enjoyed the spring smell of fresh spring onions as I mowed this afternoon.  Soon a few weeks of pretty yellow dandelion blossoms will dot my acre. 

A weed lawn has many advantages besides being free, not the least of which being all the neighborhood children are born with only one head.  :)

With temps finally getting into the upper 70's and low 80's next week we should see the ponds and lakes warm up and the bass begin to bite. They say once the azaleas and dogwoods bloom its game on but water temps are still low and these stretches like we have had the last few days do not help. This will all change next week and by next weekend water temps should be up quite a bit....the salt water season gets started by mid May when the flounder start to move in which is what we mostly fish for once they show up so this cold has cut 2-3 weeks from my bass fishing window.

• 2 weeks later...

My weed lawn is greening up nicely. I enjoyed the spring smell of fresh spring onions as I mowed this afternoon.  Soon a few weeks of pretty yellow dandelion blossoms will dot my acre. 

A weed lawn has many advantages besides being free, not the least of which being all the neighborhood children are born with only one head.   :)

I took a couple of cell phone pics of my weed farm today.

My side yard.

i-KPXkhMT-L.jpg

My front yard.  

i-46Ktfkt-L.jpg

My lawn is looking awesome!  The fescue has greened up quite nicely and needs to be mowed too frequently right now.  These cool temps and abundant rainfall combined with good fertilizer and weed control make for an awesome spring lawn.  Too bad all my neighbors don't bother to keep up with theirs...

My kids like to bring "wish flowers" from the neighbors' yards into our yard, and they don't understand why I wish they wouldn't!  :weep:

They don't see that their wish:

VNfR9wc.png

Turns into this nightmare:

d6y0pXd.png

My lawn is looking awesome!  The fescue has greened up quite nicely and needs to be mowed too frequently right now.  These cool temps and abundant rainfall combined with good fertilizer and weed control make for an awesome spring lawn.  Too bad all my neighbors don't bother to keep up with theirs...

My kids like to bring "wish flowers" from the neighbors' yards into our yard, and they don't understand why I wish they wouldn't!  :weep:

They don't see that their wish:

VNfR9wc.png

Turns into this nightmare:

d6y0pXd.png

That nightmare turns into a glass of flowers given to grandma by a beaming 5 year old.  Enjoy life, most of it is good.

• 3 months later...

Anyone in these parts try a fesuce/KY bluegrass mix? I've seeded with the same fescue mix each of the past three years, but feel like I need to do a blend of some kind this year, either several varieties of fescue or the fescue/bg mix.

Any advice? My front lawn has little shade, so I'm not sure if there is anything I can ever do to prevent the brown patches that invade this time of year, short of providing shade trees, which we have recently planted. But they wont be providing any appreciable shade in the years to come.

Brown patch is from all the rain we have had this summer. I don't think there is much you can do to help that, it is caused by a fungus. There are some more heat tolerant Kentucky blue grasses that are being developed. Try to find some of those variety of seeds. We in the Carolina's are kind of where the two kinds of grasses can overlap, but I still think warm season grasses are better outside of the mountains

I've got these weeds that look like miniature lily pads that have been spreading a little bit each year. They don't grow high, but they're dense and cover the ground in large areas now. They've eliminated the growth of grass and other weeds. I have no idea what the are.

Wild violet, perhaps?  They're about impossible to kill with normal herbicides.  My turf management company uses a product called Escalade to kill it.  It's not available to the average consumer to purchase, or so they say.

7.jpg

Wild violet, perhaps? They're about impossible to kill with normal herbicides. My turf management company uses a product called Escalade to kill it. It's not available to the average consumer to purchase, or so they say.

7.jpg

That looks similar. I'll take a pic when I'm back home (in San Francisco till Thursday). The don't produce any flowers ever, so I don't know if it's the same or not. But the leaves in you picture do look similar.

I've got these weeds that look like miniature lily pads that have been spreading a little bit each year. They don't grow high, but they're dense and cover the ground in large areas now. They've eliminated the growth of grass and other weeds. I have no idea what the are.

Take a look at the photos on here - http://growitfirst.blogspot.com/2011/08/know-your-weed.html

The one that I've seen spreading more in my yard this year is the 3rd photo in that link - Wild Strawberry / Indian Mock Strawberry.  It stays low to the ground and spreads with runners...I haven't put any chemical on it, yet.

Anyone in these parts try a fesuce/KY bluegrass mix? I've seeded with the same fescue mix each of the past three years, but feel like I need to do a blend of some kind this year, either several varieties of fescue or the fescue/bg mix.

Any advice? My front lawn has little shade, so I'm not sure if there is anything I can ever do to prevent the brown patches that invade this time of year, short of providing shade trees, which we have recently planted. But they wont be providing any appreciable shade in the years to come.

Brown patch is from all the rain we have had this summer. I don't think there is much you can do to help that, it is caused by a fungus. There are some more heat tolerant Kentucky blue grasses that are being developed. Try to find some of those variety of seeds. We in the Carolina's are kind of where the two kinds of grasses can overlap, but I still think warm season grasses are better outside of the mountains

Yeah, sounds like you have brown patch which is very common in fescue.  What I've seen with brown patch is that it peaks when that initial strong punch of heat / humidity / heavy rains hit in May or June.  Thereafter, the brown patch is still there through the summer, but not as bad as that initial punch.  However, the brown patch is worse this year due to the rains.  There are chemicals for it, but it's an expensive proposition since you would need to put it out as a preventative every couple of weeks.  I usually just let it run its course and re-seed any badly damaged areas in early Sept.

Yeah, sounds like you have brown patch which is very common in fescue.  What I've seen with brown patch is that it peaks when that initial strong punch of heat / humidity / heavy rains hit in May or June.  Thereafter, the brown patch is still there through the summer, but not as bad as that initial punch.  However, the brown patch is worse this year due to the rains.  There are chemicals for it, but it's an expensive proposition since you would need to put it out as a preventative every couple of weeks.  I usually just let it run its course and re-seed any badly damaged areas in early Sept.

All hail the lowly weed yard. :)

Archived