Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2012 Southeast Lawn, Garden & Fishing Thread

WeatherNC

Powerstroke,

My trees/outside of the house were invaded by a bumper crop of fall webworms as a result of a combo of extreme wet 6/1-8/20 followed by very dry 8/21-early Oct., which allowed the widespread web tents in the trees to expand and not be disturbed thus leaving many of the trees with few or no green leaves. However, a few days back, we received 1.5" of rain in just one hour (heaviest rain since mid-Aug.) which washed out a lot of the web tents. The lawn looks strange with these big clumps of dead leaves throughout the yard.

Somehow, I think that the continued absence of Tony's moles in Savannah and this webworm infestation are connected. :(

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Powerstroke,

My trees/outside of the house were invaded by a bumper crop of fall webworms as a result of a combo of extreme wet 6/1-8/20 followed by very dry 8/21-early Oct., which allowed the widespread web tents in the trees to expand and not be disturbed thus leaving many of the trees with few or no green leaves. However, a few days back, we received 1.5" of rain in just one hour (heaviest rain since mid-Aug.) which washed out a lot of the web tents. The lawn looks strange with these big clumps of dead leaves throughout the yard.

Somehow, I think that the continued absence of Tony's moles in Savannah and this webworm infestation are connected. :(

We have webworms every year especially in cherry trees. I have to treat some this week. This has been one of the worse years for grubs in a long time. Use dylox and it will take care of them. Cross check is good for web worms.

We have webworms every year especially in cherry trees. I have to treat some this week. This has been one of the worse years for grubs in a long time. Use dylox and it will take care of them. Cross check is good for web worms.

Powerstroke,

Thanks, as always, for the advice. Our county agent recommended we leave the trees, which are some kind of nut trees (hickory??), alone because he said the leaves will come back nicely next spring. He said any current weakening would end up being minor and transitory. I'd be wasting time and/or money treating the trees. A lot of the webs are way up high. Furthermore, it looks like mother nature just cleaned up a good portion of them recently with that good old fashioned hour long downpour breaking up and bringing down a good portion of the tents.

I've got plenty of the Mock Strawberry stuff too. And the creeping cucumber. And clovers. And dandilions. And poison ivy. And briers. I love weeding out all this mess. Just love it.

As soon as I saw the picI thought strawberry.  I'm just finished thinning mine for the year into two more beds, and I've been looking at strawberry leaves for days now....but I'm wanting 3 times the berries next spring, so I'll do three times the work in anticipation of next early summer.   Maybe you need to talk nicely to that wild stuff, and get you some berries.  MMMmmmmm good!!  T

Powerstroke,

Thanks, as always, for the advice. Our county agent recommended we leave the trees, which are some kind of nut trees (hickory??), alone because he said the leaves will come back nicely next spring. He said any current weakening would end up being minor and transitory. I'd be wasting time and/or money treating the trees. A lot of the webs are way up high. Furthermore, it looks like mother nature just cleaned up a good portion of them recently with that good old fashioned hour long downpour breaking up and bringing down a good portion of the tents.

I doubt any damage will be done to the hickory nut.  Pretty strong tree.

Frost will not kill the sod.  Keep it watered every day.  You want to make it real soft where you can't walk on it.  You cannot over water it as the roots will chase the water deep into the soil.  If it does frost it will start to go dormant but roots will still be active until heavy frost continues night after night.  Put a high nitrogen fertilizer on it towards end of October as a winterizer.  Should be good to go in April

The forecast for my area has lows getting down in the low 40's and even touching the high 30's in the next 10 days.  Assuming this verifies should I continue watering through the period?  Should I go ahead and put the nitrogen fertilizer down before the temps drop?  As of today the sod has only been down for two weeks.  Thanks again for any advice you can offer!

The forecast for my area has lows getting down in the low 40's and even touching the high 30's in the next 10 days.  Assuming this verifies should I continue watering through the period?  Should I go ahead and put the nitrogen fertilizer down before the temps drop?  As of today the sod has only been down for two weeks.  Thanks again for any advice you can offer!

I recommend 2 Prozac followed by plenty of water.  Zoysia is the Kudzu of lawn grass, it will be fine.

The forecast for my area has lows getting down in the low 40's and even touching the high 30's in the next 10 days. Assuming this verifies should I continue watering through the period? Should I go ahead and put the nitrogen fertilizer down before the temps drop? As of today the sod has only been down for two weeks. Thanks again for any advice you can offer!

Yes get fertilizer down asap unless it fertilized when it was installed. you should pull on and see if it has rooted. if so u can back off of watering some

Archived