• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Southeast Lawn, Garden & Fishing Thread

WeatherNC

New zones based on the USDA, went from 7B to 8A, Salvia loving it, cool season stuff not so much. Whatcha got growing? Went crazy on maters this year, all heirloom, 24-32, 6-8 types. Just the start. Same with fishing around these parts, going big or going home! Picked up a old troy bilt horse tiller, circa 85?, 400lbs, new rear end absent the brass worm gears and steal shaft, Tecumseh sputters at idle but purrs like Iso's kitten under load :)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got cabbage, broc, caulif in the ground last weekend in 2 raised beds. A little worried about tonight's (2/25-6) temps in the low-mid 20s. Might have to rig some sort of plastic covering to hold a little ground heat.Will start peppers (edibles and ornamentals) this weekend, tomatoes next weekend. Usually get them planted out around 4/15 if weather allows.

New zones based on the USDA, went from 7B to 8A, Salvia loving it, cool season stuff not so much. Whatcha got growing? Went crazy on maters this year, all heirloom, 24-32, 6-8 types. Just the start. Same with fishing around these parts, going big or going home! Picked up a old troy bilt horse tiller, circa 85?, 400lbs, new rear end absent the brass worm gears and steal shaft, Tecumseh sputters at idle but purrs like Iso's kitten under load :)

Not planning on growing much around the immediate house this year a we need a new roof. Maybe we can get that donw sooner than later ti at last have some fall color. as for the rest of the beds, less tomatoes and more cukes this year. We got overwhelmed with tomatoes last year. JamieO from PA gave me some really "hot" garlic as well that is just starting to do its thing. Looking forward to buttered hot garlic and horseradish potatoes. Picked up another Oak leaf hydrandgra as well for the new front bed. It will overtake the front corner with the new lavender bushes.

Got cabbage, broc, caulif in the ground last weekend in 2 raised beds. A little worried about tonight's (2/25-6) temps in the low-mid 20s. Might have to rig some sort of plastic covering to hold a little ground heat.Will start peppers (edibles and ornamentals) this weekend, tomatoes next weekend. Usually get them planted out around 4/15 if weather allows.

With last years cold sping I started my stuff way to early and had to restart everything again in mid april. The cukes/pepper/tomato that were started too early just never did much anything and were weak all summer.. although the cukes from these vines were extraordinarally delicious.

I got my onions and potato’s in the ground last week. I’ve got about 130 tomato,pepper, egg plant, and tomatillo’s seedlings started under my light stand. They’re just starting to put on true leaves. Hopefully they’ll be ready to go in the ground in about 4 weeks.

I also sprayed my dormant bermuda lawn with round up this week. At least I hope it was dormant... The annual blue grass was starting to take over and that stuff takes forever to disappear in the summertime.

Ive got 50 garlic plants that need a few more weeks. We had a bunch of carrots, parsnips, and collards this winter that did great. Funny thing is with the warmer winter the lettuce actually did horrible. We had no aphids either. I ordered the balance of my mater seeds and will start them this week. All heirlooms. I will mostly grow Blue Ridge Mtn but some other assorted types as well. We hope to sell some at the local farmers market this summer. Ive also got to get my taters in this week.

Great idea for a thread!

Gonna get after the fishies the next few weekends, shad are starting to show up in good numbers and the first few weeks of March are traditionally the hot time, seen some nice ones on some of the fishing forums I am on were talking 16"+ gonna freeze em for catfish bait later this spring.

The striper and white perch are KILLING it in the Roanoke River and Ablemarble Sound so hopefully two weeks from today they will still be there gonna go out with a co worker and his brand new 21 ft CC he is getting this weekend.....

plants will be fine. Broccoli, cabbage especially will handle temps

Getting ready to go to a new watering system for the seedlings - waters at the base. Going to upgrade my seedstarting equipment this year. Specialize in Nardello peppers, Cheroke purples, assorted basils, some lettuce from Austria that I can't spell or pronounce(means speckled trout). Looking at a new 'tiller but am tempted to put up a cheap greenhouse...Won't put the tomoato seeds in the starter mix for a few more weeks as late frosts in my parts are common...Flyfishing starts in earnest on the South Holston in April - best tailwater for trout on the East coast. My yard looks like its found at the gates of he*l. As long as it is green, I let it stay. Just has to look good from the street.

Getting ready to go to a new watering system for the seedlings - waters at the base. Going to upgrade my seedstarting equipment this year. Specialize in Nardello peppers, Cheroke purples, assorted basils, some lettuce from Austria that I can't spell or pronounce(means speckled trout). Looking at a new 'tiller but am tempted to put up a cheap greenhouse...Won't put the tomoato seeds in the starter mix for a few more weeks as late frosts in my parts are common...Flyfishing starts in earnest on the South Holston in April - best tailwater for trout on the East coast. My yard looks like its found at the gates of he*l. As long as it is green, I let it stay. Just has to look good from the street.

use a drip line for seeds. You can also fertilize through it as well. FIX THE LAWN

Finished pruning a few rose and butterfly bushes today,and tried to attack some of the dandelions that were in bloom.getting ready to dust off the fishing reels and wet a hook.Did anyone see the story about the 136 lb blue catfish they caught in Santee-cooper,they caught it on a trot line,so the 109 lb state record still stands , but the picture of it was awesome! That was a giant fish!

Finished pruning a few rose and butterfly bushes today,and tried to attack some of the dandelions that were in bloom.getting ready to dust off the fishing reels and wet a hook.Did anyone see the story about the 136 lb blue catfish they caught in Santee-cooper,they caught it on a trot line,so the 109 lb state record still stands , but the picture of it was awesome! That was a giant fish!

LOL I would have pulled it in, hooked it to a fishing pole line, threw it back in and yelled for help.

Planted a few trees in the family's yard last fall. A black gum (nyssa sylvatica), a dawn redwood, a white ash, and a shagbark hickory. I can't wait til the spring to see how they fared! I also have some trees I planted a few years back and this year they will probably bolt. I'm looking forward to some good growth on a couple Pecans, a couple Shellbark hickories, and a willow oak!

Hey i was wondering what is the best thing to plant to putline my property? Iive on 5 acres of land and planted some Giant Arborvitae last year but they all seem to be dying. I don't no if they are suppose tp turn a brownish look but i want something that is going to grow tall and wide.

Green Giant Arbovitae is the best thing for you. Leyland Cypress root system is terrible compared to the Green Giant. You have one of two problems. If you are just noticing the brown it could be winter burn, but most likely a fungus tht can easily be treated. Those trees rarely have any problems. Nellie Steven Holly is another one but slow growers compared to the Green Giant. I have great resources for trees if you need help. i will even put them in ground for you. Normally trees we get are 6 foot minimum but can get up to 12-15 foot. PM me if you are interested.

I also spent yesterday afternoon pruning my butterfly bushes, a curly willow and a few other trees in the front yard. Also was finally able to clean up my two large flower/brush beds of last years dead growth. Last years mulch has held up very well... However, I have a LARGE hill (with blue junipers) that will use about 4 dumps of mulch to complete. Fighting the weeds now to prepare for the good mulch to come in, is easier said then done :) My father-in-law hooked us up with a old bath tube for the Pony yesterday. I was able to get it set up in the barn yesterday. This is great news as now we can water him every other day :)

Other than strong winds yesterday, it was a great day to work outside.

Couple resources this am, first is the updated hardiness zones, about everyone can expect a sub zone bump, ex 8a-8b, 8b-9a etc. Still thinking April 1 - Nov 1 is an accurate growing season here, but as far as mins go the new map represents a 5F bump.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

Second is NC States Lawn & Garden page, I find myself coming back to it several times over the course of a season. Ton of info, pdf files, almost anything you can think of with respect horticulture around these parts.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/Publications/lawngarden.php

Going to give the mower a tune up today, oil, filter, check the other fluids, and mow the back, maybe front too. I have to take the deck off to change the oil and with one person it is a pain in the arse. I have all my seed, ordered a bunch this year from seedsavers and will stick most in the deep freezer for subsequent years. Up until now I have used burpee, but decided to switch sources this year based on recommendation from family. I picked up a bag of metromix 220 from the nursery and starting pots, went ahead and ordered a grow light from amazon and heating mat, should be here next week and then i will seed the maters/eggplant/peppers. I have started seeds with no issues without a grow light in years past, only pain is moving them in and outside every day. This year i am just going to leave them inside on the timer, 16 on 8 off for the first 4-6 weeks, then harden them off for a week or two before going in the ground. April 15th is my goal for them in the main bed. Also turned over a small bed, maybe 400 sq ft for summer squash, zucs, cucs, and watermelon. Snagged a furrower attachment for the tiller of ebay and will use it to make 6 3'-3' mound and throw a couple seeds in each. I am going to experiment with landscape fabric this year on my rows, followed by some mulch. Hopefully this will help to cut back on weeds while still allowing me to do a shallow cultivation between rows. Seems like once the maple trees let loose, weeding goes to crap shortly thereafter.

My jonquil are finally blooming. Seems they always bloom after everyone elses. Kicking myself for not sowing grass in September. Ehhh. Azalea seem to be fine and right on schedule. Confederate Jasmine and Carolina Jessamine vines went nuts over the winter. I'm wondering when they'll bloom. Normally late April/early May. This year it's anyone's guess.

I leave most of the vegetable gardening to my folks. The deer eat everything around here. I've been emptying the vacuum cleaner waste around the yard, hoping the dog hair will scare them off. We'll see how that works.

The big deal this year will be treating for fire ants. We always treat the yard with season long stuff and while I hate doing that it really does work and it lasts a lot longer than 3 months. I'm also looking for some red camellia bushes. I don't want pink or white...they bloom at Christmas so I'm looking for red ones.

So far as as the lawn goes, since we didn't sow last fall, we're giving the entire lawn a make-over this fall if it stays normal rain wise. It needs it.

This is a great thread idea. Thanks.

My jonquil are finally blooming. Seems they always bloom after everyone elses. Kicking myself for not sowing grass in September. Ehhh. Azalea seem to be fine and right on schedule. Confederate Jasmine and Carolina Jessamine vines went nuts over the winter. I'm wondering when they'll bloom. Normally late April/early May. This year it's anyone's guess.

I leave most of the vegetable gardening to my folks. The deer eat everything around here. I've been emptying the vacuum cleaner waste around the yard, hoping the dog hair will scare them off. We'll see how that works.

The big deal this year will be treating for fire ants. We always treat the yard with season long stuff and while I hate doing that it really does work and it lasts a lot longer than 3 months. I'm also looking for some red camellia bushes. I don't want pink or white...they bloom at Christmas so I'm looking for red ones.

So far as as the lawn goes, since we didn't sow last fall, we're giving the entire lawn a make-over this fall if it stays normal rain wise. It needs it.

They do here as well...and I'm pretty much over it. Going to put up an electric fence this summer. The are even eating my shrubs. Local government will do nothing.

Couple resources this am, first is the updated hardiness zones, about everyone can expect a sub zone bump, ex 8a-8b, 8b-9a etc. Still thinking April 1 - Nov 1 is an accurate growing season here, but as far as mins go the new map represents a 5F bump.

http://planthardines...eb/Default.aspx

Second is NC States Lawn & Garden page, I find myself coming back to it several times over the course of a season. Ton of info, pdf files, almost anything you can think of with respect horticulture around these parts.

http://www.ces.ncsu..../lawngarden.php

Going to give the mower a tune up today, oil, filter, check the other fluids, and mow the back, maybe front too. I have to take the deck off to change the oil and with one person it is a pain in the arse. I have all my seed, ordered a bunch this year from seedsavers and will stick most in the deep freezer for subsequent years. Up until now I have used burpee, but decided to switch sources this year based on recommendation from family. I picked up a bag of metromix 220 from the nursery and starting pots, went ahead and ordered a grow light from amazon and heating mat, should be here next week and then i will seed the maters/eggplant/peppers. I have started seeds with no issues without a grow light in years past, only pain is moving them in and outside every day. This year i am just going to leave them inside on the timer, 16 on 8 off for the first 4-6 weeks, then harden them off for a week or two before going in the ground. April 15th is my goal for them in the main bed. Also turned over a small bed, maybe 400 sq ft for summer squash, zucs, cucs, and watermelon. Snagged a furrower attachment for the tiller of ebay and will use it to make 6 3'-3' mound and throw a couple seeds in each. I am going to experiment with landscape fabric this year on my rows, followed by some mulch. Hopefully this will help to cut back on weeds while still allowing me to do a shallow cultivation between rows. Seems like once the maple trees let loose, weeding goes to crap shortly thereafter.

Grow lights help my plants keep from getting leggy. Have to set them almost on top of the plants...but they are stockier. When do you take your plants off the propogation mat BTW? Like looking at the zones in Alaska - what a huge range.

As do I peach! Got some spots that needed a little love ....

They do here as well...and I'm pretty much over it. Going to put up an electric fence this summer. The are even eating my shrubs. Local government will do nothing.

Trust me when I say that you really don't want the locals to help. You'll end up with coyote just like we did. They introduced them in the 70s and now they're everywhere killing pets and livestock.

Also, that electric fencing is great...until they learn to jump it! I am totally serious. Those never work for long, down here. Try planting something that they like more than your shrubs and that you don't mind having around. Hunting supply stores sell a blend of clover and other things that the deer love and it looks nice and green. It regenerates all year and if you're lucky you'll have vegetables and meat next year. My folks do this and it works fine. Since they have the garden I just pitch in and help in return for food. #oldschool

Deer also hate marigold and chrysanthemum (keep down mosquitoes as well). Try planting a few around your shrubs.

Grow lights help my plants keep from getting leggy. Have to set them almost on top of the plants...but they are stockier. When do you take your plants off the propogation mat BTW? Like looking at the zones in Alaska - what a huge range.

Ok, this is the deal, I have never grown under light, past several years had no problem moving in and out once they sprouted, last year put 32 brandywine's in the ground solid 18" bush. Mom uses them as does my uncle who has a setup in his greenhouse. I looked and amazon and went with a 4' hydrofarm jumpstart HO T5, roughly 5000 lumens @ 54W. Then... I furthered some reads on garden web and honestly, not enough light. Saw one member who had 3 of them together and that prevented the plants from running to the light, i.e. bowing. Only way I can make this work, likely, is to have all my plants in a single row just above the light, but that equals about 14-16 based on the pots. :( Thought about ordering a couple more, as she had to do, total 15k lumens. In retrospect, noon sun is about 10k lumens/sq ft. Hydrofarm also makes a 4 bulb T5 fixture, not HO, at roughly 18k lumens. Price difference is neglibale between 3 4' jump starts and the 4 bulb 4', 15K versus 18K lumens. Don't know what I am going to do yet. Light is here in PGV based on UPS and will be here tomorrow, send it back and credit the 60, spend another 100 for the 4 bulb 4' fixture, or spend 110 and order another 2 4' single bulb jumpstarts, or just leave it as is...

Heating mat, no clue... First time using one. I bought the thermostat with it and am setting it between 75-80 for germination. After that I am going to leave it between 70-75, keep in mind soil temps indoors are a good 10 degrees below room temp, it also helps to have some type of insulating media between the mat and floor underneath. In my case I am using a 2 x 4' R5 insulation panel from lowes, roughly 5 bucks.

Ok, this is the deal, I have never grown under light, past several years had no problem moving in and out once they sprouted, last year put 32 brandywine's in the ground solid 18" bush. Mom uses them as does my uncle who has a setup in his greenhouse. I looked and amazon and went with a 4' hydrofarm jumpstart HO T5, roughly 5000 lumens @ 54W. Then... I furthered some reads on garden web and honestly, not enough light. Saw one member who had 3 of them together and that prevented the plants from running to the light, i.e. bowing. Only way I can make this work, likely, is to have all my plants in a single row just above the light, but that equals about 14-16 based on the pots. :( Thought about ordering a couple more, as she had to do, total 15k lumens. In retrospect, noon sun is about 10k lumens/sq ft. Hydrofarm also makes a 4 bulb T5 fixture, not HO, at roughly 18k lumens. Price difference is neglibale between 3 4' jump starts and the 4 bulb 4', 15K versus 18K lumens. Don't know what I am going to do yet. Light is here in PGV based on UPS and will be here tomorrow, send it back and credit the 60, spend another 100 for the 4 bulb 4' fixture, or spend 110 and order another 2 4' single bulb jumpstarts, or just leave it as is...

Heating mat, no clue... First time using one. I bought the thermostat with it and am setting it between 75-80 for germination. After that I am going to leave it between 70-75, keep in mind soil temps indoors are a good 10 degrees below room temp, it also helps to have some type of insulating media between the mat and floor underneath. In my case I am using a 2 x 4' R5 insulation panel from lowes, roughly 5 bucks.

That's good info. I'm rebuilding my setup this season. Hadn't thought about the R5 - good idea.

Archived