joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Southeast Lawn, Garden & Fishing Thread

WeatherNC

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My spring/summer garden was well, not a complete bust,but I was highly disappointed. One squash...a handful of tomatos( they would never turn red) handful of cukes. What did really well was my green beans and and okra. I was very happy with that. Couldn't wait to pull everything up. Now we have some collards and mixed greens planted. Seem to being doing well. Fingers crossed with that!!

The heat then the cloudy august just ruined my garden... as did the slugs.

I love the fishing reports. I am hoping to go down either to obx or holden beach end of month

PowerStroke, Water Temps *varies* day to day....

hovering right around the 73~74 degree mark...

We had a "spotty" spot run on Tuesday...

KINGS are going crazy as "bait" is starting to move down the Coast, eg: grass~Shad & Pogies...

Several KINGS are being put on deck on almost ALL the piers OBX Southwards into SC, (SpringMaid Pier)...

Tuesday, I put 2, yes 2 KINGS on Deck, 15 & 27 pounds respectivly....

post-2767-0-06111200-1350568572_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-05776900-1350568584_thumb.jp

PowerStroke, Water Temps *varies* day to day....

hovering right around the 73~74 degree mark...

We had a "spotty" spot run on Tuesday...

KINGS are going crazy as "bait" is starting to move down the Coast, eg: grass~Shad & Pogies...

Several KINGS are being put on deck on almost ALL the piers OBX Southwards into SC, (SpringMaid Pier)...

Tuesday, I put 2, yes 2 KINGS on Deck, 15 & 27 pounds respectivly....

Very nice fish

:weight_lift:

Great mackerel pics crossthread!!! 15 & 27 #'s is getting kind of serious from a pier. Hey guys (& gals), I hope everyone is well. Been out of touch so to speak throughout the summer, new job and not really had the time to commit here as I have in the past; I am sorry. What a great thread this turned out to be during the 2012 seasons, lawn, garden, fishing, and a little BS chummed in along the way, awesome! Not much going on here, gardens went off without a hitch for the most part. Excellent harvest on the heirloom tomatoes, phenomenal. I can't even begin to tell you how many Italian meals we ate with bruschetta, some fresh mozzarella, basil, a good olive oil and some 12 yr balsamic my mom hooked us up with. Brambles were another win, close to 40# of blackberries this year, avg. about quarter size, some close to a half dollar in girth. I planted the winter squash in early July, mostly maxima, but do to our >> avg. QPF, nothing set and I turned the ground over late August. ~ 5000 sqft of clover planted, varying dates, started late Aug, plot out by the road only a couple weeks ago. Now that I have the tiller, makes the whole process much easier to turn under the bed, wait a week or two, turn it under again, and then seed.

Fishing, been out several times with the little one. Mostly doing channel cat on the inland lakes, late summer - early fall. Several nice bowfin, 5-8# range landed in the process. Also notice the pickerel's are starting to bite as the water temps dip. I may add hunting to the sub title as it is quickly becoming that season. In the morning I usually here a couple large cal rifles unloading. My plan is to get a license, and harvest 1-2 deer for the deep freeze out of the back 40 that are munching on clover. ;)

I hope everyone is doing well and ready for winter! :snowwindow: If anyone is having or have had issues with the board, particularly on the SE side during my absence, or going forward, please feel free to reach out to me directly and we will resolve them. I am planning on doing a winter forecast this year, eta ~ Thanksgiving, just starting to look-over some stuff, solar cycle 24 is approaching its peak, however that should be much less than 23 :guitar: . Early indications, atleast from what I am seeing, is that NAO should avg < throughout the DJF, beyond that, don't know yet...

I am planning on doing a winter forecast this year, eta ~ Thanksgiving, just starting to look-over some stuff, solar cycle 24 is approaching its peak, however that should be much less than 23 :guitar: . Early indications, atleast from what I am seeing, is that NAO should avg < throughout the DJF, beyond that, don't know yet...

Look forward to it...good to hear from you WeatherNC.

Only thing i can get to grow in my red clay is rye, the fescue just dies and ive been fertilizing and putting down lime

When is the fescue dying? Is it in the summer heat? Can you get it to germinate?

The best way to get it going is to plant it in the fall (ideally, Sept), and if possible, cover it with a thin layer of soil, and keep it moist until it germinates....fertilize (I use starter fertilizer year round), and lime it like you are doing. No reason it shouldn't grow in clay unless there is something really out of whack with your soil (soil test).

Annual rye grass dies out once temps get around 85. Perennia rye does better. If your soil is hard clay apply gypsum along with sol u Cal. Plug and seed, water if you can and should be fine. Soil test will show lack of calcium which is normal for clay.

I tried that but the wall board just blocks the sun from the grass and it dies.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a quick search,and found a place that talked about pinelas (florida) don't no where that is in relation to Savannah,but they said warm summer months were optimal for planting st.Augustine sod,and cold winter months were least optimal.but said there was not any season that it wouldn't survive down there.I also know its very sensitive to cold,I would be leery if we had a severe cold blast in the SE this winter.

Does anyone know if it would be ok to sod St Augustine grass in a place like Savannah, GA, in mid to late November as opposed to waiting for spring? The company is giving us a 12 month warranty fwiw. Thanks in advance.

Did a quick search,and found a place that talked about pinelas (florida) don't no where that is in relation to Savannah,but they said warm summer months were optimal for planting st.Augustine sod,and cold winter months were least optimal.but said there was not any season that it wouldn't survive down there.I also know its very sensitive to cold,I would be leery if we had a severe cold blast in the SE this winter.

Thanks for the info. I think we'll go ahead and get it done this month, especially considering the 12 month warranty. I can't say that I hope we don't get a severe SE cold blast because I wouldn't survive this BB.

So, I won't say it lol.

Thanks for the info. I think we'll go ahead and get it done this month, especially considering the 12 month warranty. I can't say that I hope we don't get a severe SE cold blast because I wouldn't survive this BB.

So, I won't say it lol.

It will be fine just water it everyday to keep it sloppy wet for a week. This will allow roots to grow deep. It will go dormant for the winter after hard freeze.

Sassafras tree I planted on the side of the house is the foliage winner, started a blaze orange last week, and now is a brilliant crimson! I would plant more of them if I could find a good 2-3yr old source. This one came from a local nursery, only one, believe the gentleman dug it up from the wild (which is hard to do since most are root suckers), it grows wild in the back 40, and this one had 2 berries this year, which I picked and am overwintering. Hundreds of bloom on it this year, but only two flowers were pollinated. Paw-paws are doing well, still trying to figure out the sex, know one is a male, kinda, the other has not flowered yet. Clover is down, ~5k sqft, deer are sleeping in the back bed, light-moderate damage there from their foot traffic, road-side looks great, turned over a large 100ft long strip by the road with the tiller in Sept, nice thick growth that will put on quite the early spring crimson red show.

Sassafras tree I planted on the side of the house is the foliage winner, started a blaze orange last week, and now is a brilliant crimson! I would plant more of them if I could find a good 2-3yr old source. This one came from a local nursery, only one, believe the gentleman dug it up from the wild (which is hard to do since most are root suckers), it grows wild in the back 40, and this one had 2 berries this year, which I picked and am overwintering. Hundreds of bloom on it this year, but only two flowers were pollinated. Paw-paws are doing well, still trying to figure out the sex, know one is a male, kinda, the other has not flowered yet. Clover is down, ~5k sqft, deer are sleeping in the back bed, light-moderate damage there from their foot traffic, road-side looks great, turned over a large 100ft long strip by the road with the tiller in Sept, nice thick growth that will put on quite the early spring crimson red show.

You don't happen to have pictures by chance, do you?

Use 18 24 12 fertilizer or a higher nitrogen up to 28-4-4 or similar

Powerstroke,

Thank for the tip. I really value your expertise and appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

I know you said it would be fine to put it in now as long as it is watered enough to keep it sloppy wet for a week. However, if it were your house and you had a choice, would you put the St. Augustine sod in now or wait til spring? There is grass there now, but it is patchy with some bare spots. I'm asking because my father is concerned that it will already be dormant. Therefore, he feels that it will be more susceptible to getting messed up from people walking on it and other things/weather elements that could mess it up through the next few months before it comes out of dormancy. He figures that I might as well wait til spring. I told him we'd have a 12 month warranty, but he reminded me that they might not be around to honor the warranty since one never knows.

Last seven days of Savannah highs and lows:

42-62

41-57

38-66

37-70

39-73

47-76

56-77

Here are the predicted Savannah temperatures (highs and lows) for the next seven days:

50-58

48-58

45-65

48-62

45-62

45-65

45-65

I read somewhere that St. Augustine goes dormant when the soil drops to 55. Do you agree? I do recall that the grass sometimes turns brown by early Dec. if it is chilly.

Archived