Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat

OKpowdah

like nails on a chalkboard....

why stop there.. maybe you can just use every cliche we have.

"they always lose the storm at 5 days and bring it back"

"eh - i don't want snow anyway"

"bring on spring"

"i bet the 18z GFS is a huge hit"

"i'll wait til 00z - if that run fails, then i quit"

"with those warm SSTs, this will tuck in closer"

"someone said the JMA is still a HECS"

"the models are terrible why do we even look at them"

"i think this will be a nowcast event"

"there's probably some convective feedback in there"

"they always trend north"

"i don't see how we suddenly get a whiff when everything else has been a cutter"

"squirrels"

Yeah, but what about the low over Idaho...it's 2mbs deeper than progged!

buoy 41013 off north carolina just reported a 7 kts southeast wind

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles are more amped than the OP...still too far SE, but not as far SE as the OP...they probably take it from just E of HSE to about 200 miles SE of the BM.

how's the speed? does it still have that hang back in the isobars to the SW? on the 00z run that led me to believe that there might be some slower more amped runs.

lol...nah the pattern sucks but it hasn't gotten to me.

but it does get old reading the same kind of stuff over and over again. i'm just as guilty as anyone though.

At least you've seen some accumulating snow recently. Besides the 3" from 1/21, I haven't seen more than a few flurries.

And that's the truth. We're all suffering from DC to NYC to BOS and NNE. This wonter is tough.

how's the speed? does it still have that hang back in the isobars to the SW? on the 00z run that led me to believe that there might be some slower more amped runs.

Yeah it looks like the speed varies some with isobars hanging back. Looking at the 500 spaghetti plots, there are a distinct group that are definitely amped up pretty big and then the majority of the others are not..probably like a 2/3rds to 1/3rd ratio.

5+ days away, 200 or so average mile error at that day....

Definitely write it off for everyone north of the VA Capes, it's locked in.

Debbie downers.

http://www.ecmwf.int..._revised_v6.pdf

in a better / more active winter we wouldn't be so focused on stuff that's 5+ days out. if things were more "normal" we'd be talking about tonight and thur night and would hardly have the time to look to sunday.

in a better / more active winter we wouldn't be so focused on stuff that's 5+ days out. if things were more "normal" we'd be talking about tonight and thur night and would hardly have the time to look to sunday.

I know and I could care less either way about day 5, but I do think it's premature to right it off entirely particularly where we live. 150 miles in a good direction (from euro ens) puts is in the action...of course it could just as easily become a near miss to bermuda.

The northern stream slowed in the later runs leading up to the last event. That took what was good timing and made it less favorable in the closing hours. We'll see how the models do as we cross into the less than 3 digit hour window. They'll probably bring it just close enough to tease before it ends up east in the last 24 hours again.

You called it. You might want to consult a grammar book and dictionary though :yikes:

huh, what?

Annnnyway -

It does appear the NAM is bit underdone with the QPF off the 12z, and 18z for that matter, when comparing to the rad returns that should pass into the area tonight. NW PA and western NY are in steady action with bursts to moderate ...several hours worth. Meanwhile, these NAM runs are paltry.

It'll be interesting to see the radar suddenly goo poof - and then recongeal just east of us... :axe:

Also, the latter system ... I like the lighter gradient look to it. If you're looking to get a wintry event out of marginality, when dynamics are less than impressive, you want to have the gradients weak.

Archived