e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lack of downstream blocking really foists this thing out before a purer phase can take place. The subsume takes place, but the native progressive nature to the flow does nothing to stop this from trundling seaward.

Nevertheless, even a partial subsume shows what amazing power can be unleashed when pure southern stream and pure northern stream drink too much and catch the same cab -

NOTE that the changes are clear very early in the run. Hence my first post when it was only out 48 hours.

Both the first northern s/w and the lobe off the vortex are more amplified to the southwest

You and I have been all over this subsume potential; personally I stopped short of making this call and have no regrets!

The Euro run from 00z and then the 12z run were flags however. I always get peevish about things when I see pearled SPV fragments dangling precipitously through southern Canada while a southern stream is activating... That's ..eh, touchy.

lack of downstream blocking really foists this thing out before a purer phase can take place. The subsume takes place, but the native progressive nature to the flow does nothing to stop this from trundling seaward.

Nevertheless, even a partial subsume shows what amazing power can be unleashed when pure southern stream and pure northern stream drink too much and catch the same cab -

Yeah and the upstream kicker doesn't help. Not quite in classic historic form, but the GFS certainly displays the result of combining these two forces that we've been describing

Yeah and the upstream kicker doesn't help. Not quite in classic historic form, but the GFS certainly displays the result of combining these two forces that we've been describing

Yes... folks should also stop shy of calling that a monster. That's a powerful nor'easter; let's leave it at that guys and gals.

Monsters well too much up in terms of vestment and you're setting your selves up -

Personally I will go on record as saying this is the most promising entity I've seen all year. Well... October was a bit more certain to me -- I'm speaking in terms of DJF

Yes... folks should also stop shy of calling that a monster. That's a powerful nor'easter; let's leave it at that guys and gals.

Monsters well too much up in terms of vestment and you're setting your selves up -

Personally I will go on record as saying this is the most promising entity I've seen all year. Well... October was a bit more certain to me -- I'm speaking in terms of DJF

I personally hope something of this magnitude happens. Everyone from NYC to Boston to Ottawa to Toronto would get pounded.

You and I have been all over this subsume potential; personally I stopped short of making this call and have no regrets!

The Euro run from 00z and then the 12z run were flags however. I always get peevish about things when I see pearled SPV fragments dangling precipitously through southern Canada while a southern stream is activating... That's ..eh, touchy.

The Euro has been performing better (I say now at least) with handling the southern stream, which for whatever reason the GFS had been overdamping IMO. Otherwise the Euro hasn't quite shared the same propensity toward an amplified and perturbed northern stream vortex as the rest of the guidance has shown.

Consequently the Euro has suggested some southern stream beasts that are amplified enough to attack the M/A, but otherwise has had little northern stream involvement from the vortex (not including the first s/w which phases on the east side of the Rockies which is a crucial component to amplifying the wave and the prospects of subsuming the PV lobe).

Putting the two together, we get the 00z GFS :)

There is a possibility however fleeting that the upstream impulse is assimilated too strongly ...therefore, conserved in the flow too robustly. It's over the water so there that whole cliche, but it matters - yes it does.

I was just looking at Feb 1978 and guess what... there wasn't much NAO blocking when that cut-off and lingered for an extra day such that it did. It can happen if "kickers" lack and the n stream and s stream to a more perfect union.

This is not a 1978 analog. The purpose of the reference is to show that systems can stall without substantive blocking.

The Euro has been performing better (I say now at least) with handling the southern stream, which for whatever reason the GFS had been overdamping IMO. Otherwise the Euro hasn't quite shared the same propensity toward an amplified and perturbed northern stream vortex as the rest of the guidance has shown.

Consequently the Euro has suggested some southern stream beasts that are amplified enough to attack the M/A, but otherwise has had little northern stream involvement from the vortex (not including the first s/w which phases on the east side of the Rockies which is a crucial component to amplifying the wave and the prospects of subsuming the PV lobe).

Putting the two together, we get the 00z GFS :)

That's more my point - yes. It's not whether the 12z Euro was subsuming so much as it is that its southern stream impulse appears continuous across its cycles. That left/leaves room open for entanglement as a correction. Tonight run - yeah, we'll see.

There is a possibility however fleeting that the upstream impulse is assimilated too strongly ...therefore, conserved in the flow too robustly. It's over the water so there that whole cliche, but it matters - yes it does.

I was just looking at Feb 1978 and guess what... there wasn't much NAO blocking when that cut-off and lingered for an extra day such that it did. It can happen in "kickers" lack and the n stream and s stream to a more perfect union.

This is not a 1978 analog. The purpose of the reference is to show that systems can stall without substantive blocking.

What about the prospect of the kicker being assimilated too weak, and thus it's moving through the flow too fast? A deeper s/w approaching the west coast might break cyclonically earlier / further west, thus preserving and actually amplifying western NA ridging ...? Viable or not? lol

What about the prospect of the kicker being assimilated too weak, and thus it's moving through the flow too fast? A deeper s/w approaching the west coast might break cyclonically earlier / further west, thus preserving and actually amplifying western NA ridging ...? Viable or not? lol

It's a give and take... Here's a weak kicker scenario: http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/1978/19780206-19780212.djvu

Archived