Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it'll amp over the next few days ...ebbing and flowing like the tide, only to not snow. Meanwhile, the GFS and ECM are laughing their assess off at how they get the moods in here swinging like a yo-yo.

Muah hahahhahahaha

To top it off the GEFS will probably have a few members that drop over a foot in parts of NE.

The 18Z GFS should be saved by anyone who wants to show someone why a true -NAO is pretty important. You're dealing with a storm that would likely cut up the coast over NYC or LI verbatim if not for the trough swinging across Ontario, yet at the same time if the system is 18 hours slower the vort kicks it OTS. I

Man, so close to being a massive storm for the Northeast. Just drop that SPV lobe south, and BOOM. Dang kicker

While it is certainly true that is one way to drub up a whopper, i think the flow is inherently too fast for that too happen.

In fact, the progressive nature to the entire circulation between Hawaii and the west Atlantic I am beginning to see as being our biggest problem for the CONUS. With so much longitudinal component to the flow being arisen in middle ranges that is apparently not applied to the extended ranges, these storms keep disappearing as they get into nearer terms. In order for phasing to occur you need the N-S component (the meridional flow) to not be over-whelmed by the "stretchiness" of the flow. In physics, the wave frequency is what is going on ...

Primer aside, the S -stream potency actually looks enough on this 18z, but the SPV fragment doesn't avail because it simple does not have time.. The S- stream impulse is half way to Nova Scotia by the time N - stream can respond.

Dave is about to go bonkers and my local grocery store will soon be sold out.

Not to troll... but this could be one of those deals where the event was on and off for the SE, and painfully never an MA-SNE type thing ... you guys are all emotionally invested and stroked to no ends. But then suddenly it all comes together inside of 72 hours and it's the MA-SNE that get hammered, while you guys warm sector or get boned in general.

NCEP did mention in their discussion today, and I pasted in here because I agree, ..this is probably going to be a short range model affair.

Man, so close to being a massive storm for the Northeast. Just drop that SPV lobe south, and BOOM. Dang kicker

Well, the 18z GFS kind of came towards the 12z GGEM and 12z Euro ENS...so it still bears a close watch down here. We may just luck out and get a nice rain changing to non-accumulating snow event here on the Cape.

EDIT: I took cold medicine yesterday. I still cannot spell. Pretty sure CVS slipped me a mickey.

Not to troll... but this could be one of those deals where the event was on and off for the SE, and painfully never an MA-SNE type thing ... you guys are all emotionally invested and stroked to no ends. But then suddenly it all comes together inside of 72 hours and it's the MA-SNE that get hammered, while you guys warm sector or get boned in general.

NCEP did mention in their discussion today, and I pasted in here because I agree, ..this is probably going to be a short range model affair.

No I completely understand. I've lived here long enough to see my fair share of disaster long-range modeling scenarios. There have been multiple instances, last December included, where global models have put RIC in the bullseye 4-5 days out only to reverse course and bring the low due north. I have always said that if this city was 50-100 miles west it would be an entirely different ballgame. BL issues are always a problem - looking at historical records, the only big coastals that were truly all-snow scenarios for the city proper include 1857 and 1940. Everything else, 1983 & 1996 included, had sustained periods of sleet.

Just a little history lesson I guess.

My experience is that in La Ninas in the absence of some sort of widespread arctic airmass over the NE suppression is somewhat unusual and northward bumps are more the rule. This setup does not really have that so I would agree unless the northern vort saves them, the MA is probably in trouble, at least the middle and southern parts.

My experience is that in La Ninas in the absence of some sort of widespread arctic airmass over the NE suppression is somewhat unusual and northward bumps are more the rule. This setup does not really have that so I would agree unless the northern vort saves them, the MA is probably in trouble, at least the middle and southern parts.

Haha, yeah...I stopped short of that for fear of catching back-fire lol.

No I agrea... The NAO is not really that robustly negative... It seems the GFS is trying to have it both ways - if that makes an iota of sense. It wants to maintain S heights and then take storms on a -NAO course...

If the S -stream ends up strong, it will roll out a S/W ridge in front of it to super impose on the SE height wall, and that would also feedback on forcing a NW track.

The big issue that i see right now is that there are too many eggs in one basket. Is too early to say anything with this potential. The last one crapped the bed within 12h of the event starting due to a juiced southern s/w that we knew about but the models just could not figure out which one would become the dominant player.

Outside the box, maybe the southern energy is the dominant player.

But we than have to deal with the potential for a kicker behind.

The big issue that i see right now is that there are too many eggs in one basket. Is too early to say anything with this potential. The last one crapped the bed within 12h of the event starting due to a juiced southern s/w that we knew about but the models just could not figure out which one would become the dominant player.

Outside the box, maybe the southern energy is the dominant player.

But we than have to deal with the potential for a kicker behind.

The kicker may screw us, but it's possible the outer edges get towards Phil. With any luck, it comes further nw...but it does have a limit.

The kicker may screw us, but it's possible the outer edges get towards Phil. With any luck, it comes further nw...but it does have a limit.

Agreed. I'm not in any blockbuster storm mode here. Just monitoring the other all synoptics and pattern. The setup is about as good as we can get. The funny thing is that we may get screwed by the typical Nina behavior of too many s/w's.

Agreed. I'm not in any blockbuster storm mode here. Just monitoring the other all synoptics and pattern. The setup is about as good as we can get. The funny thing is that we may get screwed by the typical Nina behavior of too many s/w's.

Sam is right, it's close to something big, but lots of cooks in the kitchen right now.

We'll see what 00z does.

Archived