• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The feb 4-5 storm (Obs/Discussions)

Ji

nice fetch of moisture from the equitorial PAC of all places along with interaction beginning with that Canadian s/w

http://www.ssec.wisc...s_comp_big.html

p.s. almost looks like there's a tropical feature west of Cuba....wtf

There have been some awesome-looking Pacific lows south of, and in, the Gulf of Alaska this winter. And that North Atlantic low is beautiful too. Too bad those persistent features have aided in screwing us out of snow this year, but still nice to look at.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we were looking at a property in Harpers Ferry late this morning and came home just as the precip started. even then snow was mixed in, and I have been out on the porch a lot today/tonight just looking at how pretty it is here. the only bad thing is that when it precipitates I lose the view of the Apps from our bedroom, but at least today it's been snow. I spent almost 20 years in DC wishing I were out here for winters like this and even though it's a low snowfall winter, I have really enjoyed this winter so far (albeit with appropriately lowered expectations).

but still, as I said earlier this winter, Shenandoah Valley winter!

Zwyts promised me a mid-March bomb last night.. :sled:

it was frustrating to see 33 and predominantly rain....surface temps don't always correlate to the depth of the warm layer...

it's cool, i'm in silver spring, i was near 34/33 (33 now...check Lowell School weatherbug for nearest other ob to mine, 33 right now) for the last hour of the event...mostly rain/snow mix...never fully changed over...

Weatherbug's are not always accurate...33 seems low to me based on surrounding obs, but maybe you were close....point is you were going to go to snow (you were already mixing) assuming we actually had more precip....I don't ever recall an event in mid winter where the column from 875-900 mb and up was below freezing and it was a prolonged synoptic rain event with temps in the mid 30s....and this event was no different.....nobody was going to get hour after hour of rain and 34 with this setup...I'm not saying anyone advanced that idea, but when it looked like more of a prolonged event into the overnight hours, anyone suggesting an all rain event with temps in the low to mid 30s would have busted

nice 1-2" event so far for the standard outer burbs.....though I haven't seen any 2"+ totals yet....mostly 1-1.5"

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

...DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA...

AMERICAN UNIVERSITY T 510 PM 2/04 BROADCAST MEDIA

MARYLAND

...ALLEGANY COUNTY...

LA VALE 2.5 700 PM 2/04 DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

ECKHART MINES 1.5 455 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

FROSTBURG 0.5 252 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

...ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY...

1 N BALT-WASH INTL A T 700 PM 2/04 ASOS

...BALTIMORE COUNTY...

1 SE GARRISON 1.0 600 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

PARKTON 0.8 723 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 E OELLA 0.5 630 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 E GLYNDON 0.3 445 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 NW LONG GREEN 0.2 650 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 W PARKTON T 348 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

MIDDLE RIVER T 408 PM 2/04 PUBLIC

HUNT VALLEY T 430 PM 2/04 BROADCAST MEDIA

...CARROLL COUNTY...

SYKESVILLE 1.6 720 PM 2/04 COCORAHS

3 SE WINFIELD 0.9 722 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 SSE HAMPSTEAD 0.7 640 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

LINEBORO 0.3 505 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

...FREDERICK COUNTY...

2 NW NEW MARKET 1.5 705 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

3 NNW NEW MARKET 1.0 545 PM 2/04 COCORAHS

POINT OF ROCKS 1.0 700 PM 2/04 NWS EMPLOYEE

FREDERICK 0.5 700 PM 2/04 DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

...HARFORD COUNTY...

2 E NORRISVILLE 1.3 755 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

CHURCHVILLE 0.5 700 PM 2/04 DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

...HOWARD COUNTY...

WEST FRIENDSHIP T 407 PM 2/04 COUNTY EMRG MGMT

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

2 NNE GERMANTOWN 1.5 653 PM 2/04 BROADCAST MEDIA

2 WSW DAMASCUS 1.4 753 PM 2/04 CO-OP OBSERVER

5 N LAYTONSVILLE 1.2 716 PM 2/04 BROADCAST MEDIA

GAITHERSBURG 0.1 700 PM 2/04 DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

GLENMONT T 700 PM 2/04 NWS EMPLOYEE

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...

2 SSW LONG MEADOW T 816 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

VIRGINIA

...CLARKE COUNTY...

1 NNW BERRYVILLE T 343 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

...FAUQUIER COUNTY...

1 SSE WARRENTON T 427 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 NNE CATLETT T 516 PM 2/04 NWS EMPLOYEE

...FREDERICK COUNTY...

1 S STEPHENSON 0.5 634 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

...LOUDOUN COUNTY...

STERLING T 600 PM 2/04 NWS EMPLOYEE

LEESBURG T 430 PM 2/04 PUBLIC

1 SE PAEONIAN SPRING T 400 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

3 NW DULLES INTERNAT T 555 PM 2/04 NWS OFFICE

...PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY...

GAINESVILLE T 350 PM 2/04 NWS EMPLOYEE

...ROCKINGHAM COUNTY...

3 ENE ROCKY BAR T 240 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

WEST VIRGINIA

...BERKELEY COUNTY...

5 NW SHEPHERDSTOWN 0.8 415 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

...GRANT COUNTY...

BAYARD 0.5 351 PM 2/04 CO-OP OBSERVER

...HAMPSHIRE COUNTY...

ROMNEY 0.5 810 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...

SHEPHERDSTOWN T 342 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MINERAL COUNTY...

1 SSW KEYSER 1.0 819 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 NNE SHORT GAP 0.5 428 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MORGAN COUNTY...

2 WNW BERRYVILLE 1.5 805 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

SMITH CROSSROADS 0.9 812 PM 2/04 TRAINED SPOTTER

$$

Weatherbug's are not always accurate...33 seems low to me based on surrounding obs, but maybe you were close....point is you were going to go to snow (you were already mixing) assuming we actually had more precip....I don't ever recall an event in mid winter where the column from 875-900 mb and up was below freezing and it was a prolonged synoptic rain event with temps in the mid 30s....and this event was no different.....nobody was going to get hour after hour of rain and 34 with this setup...I'm not saying anyone advanced that idea, but when it looked like more of a prolonged event into the overnight hours, anyone suggesting an all rain event with temps in the low to mid 30s would have busted

This goes along with what we mentioned last night with the model soundings...when they start showing 0C from 925-950mb during steady precip, its usually only a matter of itme before it snows regardless of what they try to show at the surface unless you have a wind off the ocean which this event did not...and a wind off the ocean usually will struggle to have 0C as low as 925-950mb anyway, so those cases are rare.

I want a 1a precip type report, :P

This goes along with what we mentioned last night with the model soundings...when they start showing 0C from 925-950mb during steady precip, its usually only a matter of itme before it snows regardless of what they try to show at the surface unless you have a wind off the ocean which this event did not...and a wind off the ocean usually will struggle to have 0C as low as 925-950mb anyway, so those cases are rare.

I just use 36-37 as general idea of going to snow as I don't think this setup supported a prolonged rain event if one could maintain that temp or lower based on my experience....If one looks at old metars which I do all the time we see that over and over in rain to snow events....obviously the 925-950mb layer is the one that actually matters, but 36-37 or lower usually suggests that that layer is there or getting there soon

Archived