• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Feb 10-12 storm threat, real or imagined?

Ginx snewx

After reading many mets referring to the 10-12 as a period to watch for a potential snowstorm, I felt it was appropriate to start a thread which will hopefully will switch up the negative juju which has developed. GFS is all in, Euro not yet but has hope, GGEM has at times. Long lead threat. Let's see what materializes.

2fc43a96.jpg

874757a0.jpg

e57df980.jpg

b008fe87.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thread titles have developed a theme this winter ...questioning the validity of a perceived threat.

To save everyone some time, the answer is the same as for every other "threat" this winter.

From a meteorological standpoint, this is something to watch at least. The Euro and GFS show remarkable agreement on the pattern actually. One interesting feature is the composition of the neutral NAO, which sort of resembles the configuration in December 2007 and 2008 ... a "west-based" +NAO ... enough to prevent storms from torching us

The whole pattern shown looks pretty miserable with a large +NAO vortex over Northern Canada.

The thread titles have developed a theme this winter ...questioning the validity of a perceived threat.

To save everyone some time, the answer is the same as for every other "threat" this winter.

From a meteorological standpoint, this is something to watch at least. The Euro and GFS show remarkable agreement on the pattern actually. One interesting feature is the composition of the neutral NAO, which sort of resembles the configuration in December 2007 and 2008 ... a "west-based" +NAO ... enough to prevent storms from torching us

Lol

Nah, sure, this period has a chance...but making a threat thread 10 days out shows how desperate we are.

There are global indicators that mid February is the best chance we've got, to date. I think the thread has merit. I don't think anyone is making any deterministic claim here - let it ride as an information center and there's no harm in it.

There are global indicators that mid February is the best chance we've got, to date. I think the thread has merit. I don't think anyone is making any deterministic claim here - let it ride as an information center and there's no harm in it.

Exactly why I started the thread, not saying it will, not desperate just a discussion of the potential every met on here has stated.

Exactly why I started the threat, not saying it will, not desperate just a discussion of the potential every met on here has stated.

That's what this board is here for....discussion. Now if only we could start a threat thread and have it still be a threat inside of 120 hours.

Even if the threat is lost in the next couple days, sometimes disappear from guidance only to re-appear at a short lead time. Every other winter seems to have one or two storms that do that, just this winter they disappear and never come back.

0z gfs says swing and a miss 10-12th

but damn it's a good setup the best setup we've had in a while... better blocking and i think we'd have something decent

Pretty amazing that we get a decent setup, yet by some act of God that defies physics...it fails to show any snow through the entire 384 hour suite. Pretty remarkable!

i have a hope that mid march thru late april will be very snowy for elevated NNE LOL ....no really sugar loaf wildcat .....deep snow thru april my guess blocking for april is gonna rock

very skeptical of getting anything big but ya the pattern is favorable as of now as upteen mets have said...how can u rationaly argue against that ....except for bring up curses or nonsense lol

i have a hope that mid march thru late april will be very snowy for elevated NNE LOL ....no really sugar loaf wildcat .....deep snow thru april my guess blocking for april is gonna rock

All kidding aside, the Berkshires and even the high spots in the Litchfield Hills see many Aprils with a foot or more of snow...

Archived