• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upgrade Notice

stormtracker

From what Randy tells me after talking to the techs the upgrade could happen at any time between now and tonight. We realize that this could be an inconvenience to some people but we can't really put it off any longer... the server tweaks done already have eased the slowdowns but they are still evident during model runs etc, and we keep peaking out a little higher on user numbers at once.

The board could be down or we could lose data for about a 2 hour window when the transfer is made. There may also be some DNS issues for some folks.

We will provide any critical info on Facebook and Twitter. For those who don't use either, Twitter is open to guests and it's probably the easiest way to keep track of things. http://www.twitter.com/americanwx

We have been told that the upgrade to a faster server could happen at any time over the next 12 hours or so. This may cause brief downtime and/or some lost data during the transfer. We hope the inconvenience will be minimal and we would not be doing this know unless it was urgent. We will post any needed updates to Facebook and Twitter should the board go down for an extended time. For those who don't use either, Twitter is probably the easiest to follow: http://www.twitter.com/americanwx

now :whistle:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been told that the upgrade to a faster server could happen at any time over the next 12 hours or so. This may cause brief downtime and/or some lost data during the transfer. We hope the inconvenience will be minimal and we would not be doing this know unless it was urgent. We will post any needed updates to Facebook and Twitter should the board go down for an extended time. For those who don't use either, Twitter is probably the easiest to follow: http://www.twitter.com/americanwx

now :whistle:

To ease the pain you could Provide the new direct IP address via twitter once you have it so DNS issues will be a moot point.

Upgrade is now in progress.

Posts made to the board between now and until we are moved will be lost. We are keeping the board open due to the potential storm threats.

you guys should turn off guest viewing/access during se's in the future, even with the upgrade, as it would force folks to join, or be denied and cut down on server load based on what going on in the home screen

post-382-0-70165700-1292470509.png

Server upgrade is now complete.

We are on a new dedicated machine with two quad core processors and 6GB of RAM. This is a 400% improvement (cpu wise) over our previous server. In the future, we will be looking at making the board even more stable by adding another server for static data.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you all for your patience.

Server upgrade is now complete.

We are on a new dedicate machine with two quad core processors and 6GB of RAM. This is a 400% improvement (cpu wise) over our previous server. In the future, we will be looking at making the board even more stable by adding another server for static data.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you all for your patience.

Awesome! Can't wait to see how the 0Z model forum crash goes on the new server.

Most kudos should go to John Wow and Eek as they are our tech gurus around here. The entire staff chipped in in some part.

Awesome job Randy!!! Kudos to you, your staff, and the decision making that went into everything over the last month!!

Now I can post some pictures of my current 2"/hr. snowfall rates! Wish you were here! Best of luck with your synoptic system...when your through with it, just send it up to the Gulf of Maine so it can then retrograde back into S. Quebec and pound us with non-stop LES....approaching 70" on the season!!!

I am also getting A LOT of loading errors. Have to click refresh all the time. Also, the loading speed, etc is just slower (OK...MUCH slower) than the old server. Hate to complain. It won't stop me from spending a ton of time here, but just thought I would voice my problems/concerns.

Archived