• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upgrade Notice

stormtracker

UPGRADE NOTICE: We will be upgrading our server to a more powerful machine. This was already planned in an effort to be pro-active for future threats, but it appears we are nearing our limit. Based on this, we have decided to go forward with the upgrade without delay. There may be a 2-hour window of down time. We will do our best to notify you just before this happens.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So was this done yet?

Unfortunately no.

Update: We are waiting for confirmation that we can keep the same IP so that folks will not have DNS issues when trying to access the site. We want to try to keep the same IP to avoid this. If we cannot, we will proceed with the upgrade and post a DNS work around.

it does indeed seem to be a bit sluggish for me at times. look forward to the upgrade. you guys have some top notch techno types back there - randy included. so i am confident the transition will be smooth. there is no need to panic if you have to go 2 hours without looking at comments and data regarding upcoming weather. there is more to life. go wrap some presents or beat your kids or something.

it does indeed seem to be a bit sluggish for me at times. look forward to the upgrade. you guys have some top notch techno types back there - randy included. so i am confident the transition will be smooth. there is no need to panic if you have to go 2 hours without looking at comments and data regarding upcoming weather. there is more to life. go wrap some presents or beat your kids wife or something.

Fixed

it does indeed seem to be a bit sluggish for me at times. look forward to the upgrade. you guys have some top notch techno types back there - randy included. so i am confident the transition will be smooth. there is no need to panic if you have to go 2 hours without looking at comments and data regarding upcoming weather. there is more to life. go wrap some presents or beat your kids or something.

This is a rather violent post, Rich tongue.gif

can't argue with the earlier comments - top notch response to forum issues here! Kudos to everyone on the staff!!!

We think so. Server specs on the CP indicate our requested upgrade package. But we're a little shocked that there was no downtime at all. Plus, I haven't received any confirmation via email from the hosting company that the upgrade has been performed. Nonetheless, the numbers don't lie in the control panel and the site seems to be rocket fast. So it's good for us.

Sounds like the most flawless transfer ever! I guess they want to please the wx weenies! Props to the staff again!

Received a response from the hosting company. Apparently the upgrade has NOT been performed. IN addition, our IP would change yet again which means more DNS propogation problems to expect.

The upgrade to the BL03 has not been completed. We checked with Network OPS and you will not be able to keep the same hard drive or the same IPs if you upgrade to the BL03 as it will have to be put on a different network node. We would transfer the data over for you."

The faster loads right now are most likely attributed to tweaking some http server connection settings.

UPDATE: I'm still not quite convinced that we've yet to receive the upgrade. The CP plainly shows that we are running on an upgraded system, plus the board seems much faster.

This is a rather violent post, Rich tongue.gif

can't argue with the earlier comments - top notch response to forum issues here! Kudos to everyone on the staff!!!

I know. You should report me. They wanna throw me off the board anyway. Haha. Especially the colored man. They are handing over tech issues to a bus driver. I don't get it.

Received a response from the hosting company. Apparently the upgrade has NOT been performed. IN addition, our IP would change yet again which means more DNS propogation problems to expect.

The upgrade to the BL03 has not been completed. We checked with Network OPS and you will not be able to keep the same hard drive or the same IPs if you upgrade to the BL03 as it will have to be put on a different network node. We would transfer the data over for you."

The faster loads right now are most likely attributed to tweaking some http server connection settings.

UPDATE: I'm still not quite convinced that we've yet to receive the upgrade. The CP plainly shows that we are running on an upgraded system, plus the board seems much faster.

Wow, would it be possible to put some of the static content on a CDN to help reduce the load on the servers? I'm not sure what type of set up you have but generally for high performance web sites most people advocate serving static content from a different machine than the dynamic content. This way you can tune one server for serving static content and one for more dynamic content, and it frees up the thread/process pools of both servers so you don't have as many backlogged connections. I have no idea if IPB supports serving theme files from any sort of CDN but that was the first thing that came to mind.

Looking at a single page load via YSlow you are loading about 25 external files from the same server that is serving the rest of the dynamic content which ties up precious resources. Another thing that would help might be to hire a designer to sprite your theme image files together and modify the CSS accordingly such that the browser only has to make a single request for all the theme images instead of over 20.

Amazon Cloudfront (http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/) is a great CDN and reasonably cheap as well depending on how much static content you have. I've used it quite a bit in my professional work and have always been happy with it. Let me know if that's something you'd like to pursue and I'd be happy to discuss details with you via PM or phone.

Can someone please give tips on how to deal with this? When we first cranked up in November, I couldn't access the site for several days from home. And since I am a psychotic idiot when it comes to snow, I really need to be able to access the site. Pitiful, yes.

Can someone please give tips on how to deal with this? When we first cranked up in November, I couldn't access the site for several days from home. And since I am a psychotic idiot when it comes to snow, I really need to be able to access the site. Pitiful, yes.

I know this advice gets made fun of a lot, but many home cable/DSL routers contain DNS caches. Unplug your router, wait a little while, plug it back in. If that fails to work, search google for "flush dns cache" for your respective version of windows/mac/linux and follow the instructions there.

If you think you might be moving IPs, change the DNS TTL to low time such as 15 minutes. People will check back often for new updates. At the most a handful of users might not be able to access the board for a couple of hours but it wouldn't be days like last time.

I know this advice gets made fun of a lot, but many home cable/DSL routers contain DNS caches. Unplug your router, wait a little while, plug it back in. If that fails to work, search google for "flush dns cache" for your respective version of windows/mac/linux and follow the instructions there.

Thanks, I'll try both, if needed.

good advice

but I'll tell you how here, this is for windows, I don't know teh cmd for

type cmd in run bar,

when the dos like windows pops up, thype this

c:\users\xxx\ipconfig /flushdns

to change dns in your router do this

this for fios

First you login to your router, then click on the globe

post-244-0-93762000-1292378963.png

Then you click on broadband coax or Ethernet.

post-244-0-33248300-1292378964.png

Then click on settings.

post-244-0-84952700-1292378964.png

go down to dns, change it from automatic to use the following dns servers.

post-244-0-13508000-1292378965.png

as you can see I use google dns.

Our kids' present time came starting sundown December 1 and ended at sundown December 9.

If you think you might be moving IPs, change the DNS TTL to low time such as 15 minutes. People will check back often for new updates. At the most a handful of users might not be able to access the board for a couple of hours but it wouldn't be days like last time.

Yes. You should change your TTL NOW so that DNS caches around the globe know to check back frequently.

From what Randy tells me after talking to the techs the upgrade could happen at any time between now and tonight. We realize that this could be an inconvenience to some people but we can't really put it off any longer... the server tweaks done already have eased the slowdowns but they are still evident during model runs etc, and we keep peaking out a little higher on user numbers at once.

The board could be down or we could lose data for about a 2 hour window when the transfer is made. There may also be some DNS issues for some folks.

We will provide any critical info on Facebook and Twitter. For those who don't use either, Twitter is open to guests and it's probably the easiest way to keep track of things. http://www.twitter.com/americanwx

Archived