amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February Observation/Discussion

Isopycnic

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a hike up to Mt. Leconte Saturday morning. I have no idea what the 'official' temperature and snow depth was, but my keychain thermometer was around 5F, and there had to be at least 8" or more in spots (some drifts went up to my knees). I have no idea what the wind chill was - but the wind was very strong so I'd say it was -15F to -25F.

post-5715-0-10558000-1329039843.jpg

post-5715-0-81416700-1329039856.jpg

I made a hike up to Mt. Leconte Saturday morning. I have no idea what the 'official' temperature and snow depth was, but my keychain thermometer was around 5F, and there had to be at least 8" or more in spots (some drifts went up to my knees). I have no idea what the wind chill was - but the wind was very strong so I'd say it was -15F to -25F.

Nice shots; coldest morning here this Season, sitting at 14 degrees; probably touch 12 degrees before 6am

Beautiful pics!! Must have been an awesome hike!

19.8 here this morn :shiver:

Beautiful pics!! Must have been an awesome hike!

19.8 here this morn :shiver:

Nice shots; coldest morning here this Season, sitting at 14 degrees; probably touch 12 degrees before 6am

It was freezing but it was totally worth it. Apparently it got to -4F there last night. I will tell you one thing though - after going through that and getting down to the valley again where it was about 25F, it actually felt really warm to me. Also, my warm bed has never slept better than after a hike like that. Trudging through several inches of arctic powder for a few miles can really wear you out.

It was freezing but it was totally worth it. Apparently it got to -4F there last night. I will tell you one thing though - after going through that and getting down to the valley again where it was about 25F, it actually felt really warm to me. Also, my warm bed has never slept better than after a hike like that. Trudging through several inches of arctic powder for a few miles can really wear you out.

Nice pics! I'm curious, which trail(s) did you take? I hiked up above the snow line on Bullhead one time in March and it was rough going up there with the hard snow that had melted and refroze several times. I know that had to have been a grueling hike.

16 this morning was lowest of the year. Actually saw several ponds thinly frozen over for the first time this year. Hopefully we can get the ground covered atleast one time before spring sets back in. Robert & JB liking last half of Feb/March

19.6 was the best I could do. So officially that is 20 and I failed again to break into the teens.

I actually have some freezing fog this morning. Very dense fog with a temp of 30.8 right now with a very light coat of ice on things. Fog came in very quick because at 5:30 there wasn't any and the temp was 33, then within probably 15 minutes it was very foggy and 31 and has been there since. Interesting since some locals are a number of degrees warmer..like athens is 34 with fog..while 30 minutes away at dewey rose it's 28. Meanwhile a a few locations in the upstate are reporting ice fog. as well (anderson/greenwood for example). On the other extreme is hotlanta with a temp of 38.

Archived