• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Assorted Amorphous Threats

40/70 Benchmark

JMy wifes parents house which is where she lived then..had about 17-18 inches and lost power for 4-5 days with lots of tree damage. We were dating at the time and I purposely went up to her place because I knew I would get shafted in Vernon(only had 6 inches)

Mile Hill Rd is only about 680 feet ASL at the top..Wife's parents house which is of Mile Hill Rd is about 810 feet

Wills map from Eastern

6a1f19d9.jpg

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wills map from Eastern

6a1f19d9.jpg

That guy from Otis doesn't know his elevation.

I know there wasn't more than 2o inches at her folks house. I find those #'s up near Thompson a little suspect because there isn;'t that much elevation out there..but maybe they had more qpf.

I still can't get over those 40 inch amts north of ORH and the Berks.. Can you imagine if Mrg was online and that happened now..

That guy from Otis doesn't know his elevation.

I know there wasn't more than 2o inches at her folks house. I find those #'s up near Thompson a little suspect because there isn;'t that much elevation out there..but maybe they had more qpf.

I still can't get over those 40 inch amts north of ORH and the Berks.. Can you imagine if Mrg was online and that happened now..

There is video out on you tube showing Thompson, Pomfret, Woodstock, buried. Think it's on Ryan's blog. Union got buried too..

There is video out on you tube showing Thompson, Pomfret, Woodstock, buried. Think it's on Ryan's blog. Union got buried too..

I travelled all over for that storm because I mostly had rain in where I lived in Somers. I had 3.2" while just a few miles away (and 800' up), there was 14". There was 32" in Union in the AM when I travelled through on the way to the coast where we saw the massive waves and coastal flooding. I then measured 37" in Union on our way back in the afternoon....I had never seen such depths from one storm...it was truely incredible but stunk coming back down the mountain to a measly few inches.

I travelled all over for that storm because I mostly had rain in where I lived in Somers. I had 3.2" while just a few miles away (and 800' up), there was 14". There was 32" in Union in the AM when I travelled through on the way to the coast where we saw the massive waves and coastal flooding. I then measured 37" in Union on our way back in the afternoon....I had never seen such depths from one storm...it was truely incredible but stunk coming back down the mountain to a measly few inches.

Lol I did the opposite, lived on the beach watched in awe then travelled up to North Foster to see feet. With Bob, perfect storm, and Dec 92 it was an amazing year and a half , sort of like last year.

so were there places in sne that got 2 3 footers that winter?

I believe so. One thing I remember with the December storm was that I don't remember too many roads being closed, though the City of Worcester decared a state of emergency and only official vehicles were supposed to out and about. In March though, the Pike was officially closed. Both storms seem to have equal impacts here, so I'm not sure what the big deal was.

Wills map from Eastern

Wow, look at the difference between the high and low amounts. It didn't take much distance to go up a foot or so in snow depth. I do remember not getting squat living in Bristol, R.I. at the time. The good ole state of R.I. (Rain Island) was usually a buzz kill for big winter storms.

Even the 93 Superstorm turned into pingers.

I believe so. One thing I remember with the December storm was that I don't remember too many roads being closed, though the City of Worcester decared a state of emergency and only official vehicles were supposed to out and about. In March though, the Pike was officially closed. Both storms seem to have equal impacts here, so I'm not sure what the big deal was.

Wind inland was greater in 93 plus much wider impact region wide.

Wow, look at the difference between the high and low amounts. It didn't take much distance to go up a foot or so in snow depth. I do remember not getting squat living in Bristol, R.I. at the time. The good ole state of R.I. (Rain Island) was usually a buzz kill for big winter storms.

Even the 93 Superstorm turned into pingers.

In that video there is a shot of 169 I think. Your house got smoked in 92, somehow NE CT got in a cold pocket. I was living in Weekapaug we did get backside snow in 92, foot then pingers in 93, by March though I was inland 10 miles.

I feel like there are a lot of very spoiled weenies in SNE LOL ...Everyone looking for a KU storm. I mean we'd all love one, but give me a nice untainted 8 inch snowfall and I'll be thrilled.

We could easily enter a period where we go 4 or 5 years etc. without a KU. Most decades aren't like the 2000's were.

Well most of SNE went without a KU type storm for 5 years until last year broke it up. They had missed in like every direction in the years leading up to last year.

I feel like there are a lot of very spoiled weenies in SNE LOL ...Everyone looking for a KU storm. I mean we'd all love one, but give me a nice untainted 8 inch snowfall and I'll be thrilled.

We could easily enter a period where we go 4 or 5 years etc. without a KU. Most decades aren't like the 2000's were.

Not in SNE, But they are rare up here, But we see alot of moderate events..

I guess those big Mid Atlantic storms in 09-10 that went "out to sea" on me also went OTS f

or SNE to some extent... (Excluding the one massive one that did hit me in late Feb. of course)

I think we already had a KU storm this year in parts of SNE ...in October. I have to assume that makes their next book.

Well most of SNE went without a KU type storm for 5 years until last year broke it up. They had missed in like every direction in the years leading up to last year.

I guess those big Mid Atlantic storms in 09-10 that went "out to sea" on me also went OTS f

or SNE to some extent... (Excluding the one massive one that did hit me in late Feb. of course)

I think we already had a KU storm this year in parts of SNE ...in October. I have to assume that makes their next book.

Oh yeah, the October storm will be in the next edition I'm sure.

And after that and last year, we don't deserve any more for a while, but its still obviously what everyone roots for.

Dec 09 was a KU in SNE SE sections with 2 feet in spots and blizzard conditions.

In that video there is a shot of 169 I think. Your house got smoked in 92, somehow NE CT got in a cold pocket. I was living in Weekapaug we did get backside snow in 92, foot then pingers in 93, by March though I was inland 10 miles.

The totals map doesn't show big snow for this area.

We didn't move here unitl 2005. Lived in Boston before here, and DC before that (was able to experience the January Blizzard of 96 down there. Amazing storm.

In R.I. I lived a fee hundred feet from the bay.

Edit: We moved to Boston in 1997. We moved into our aparment on March 30th, Just in time for 4/1/97. Two years in a row of aweseome snow storms in 2 different regions.

I don't mind seeing the solutions now. Anything from overhead to OTS. Sounds about right.

Some of the overnight model runs don't phase the two branches so this could end up being a weak northern stream wave...but who knows. Always the inherent silliness of talking about day 7 threats. Coldair still looks marginal regardless.

The slower southern stream may produce aother threat a couple days later if it pans out like that.

I remember that storm like it was yesterday. It was my first year out of high school and I was living in Bristol near the Farmington line which is pretty low elevation. My sister was dating a guy that lived up on one of the hill tops and my best friend lived in Wolcott. I remember both reported near blizzard conditons with at least a foot of snow that Friday alone while down in the valley it snowed like crazy but temps were in the mid thirties and we accumulated two inches of pure slush. Then that night the snow tappered off but I remember the forecasts said there would be heavy snow statewide developing overnight.

I remember waking up to blinding snow with several inches already accumulated during the overnight. I wound up at least ten inches in Bristol in the lowlands while my friend in Wolcott wound up woth two feet and my sister's boyfriend had around twenty inches. The next day I drove up to Wolcott just to see it for myself and the snow came up way over my knees while in the valley we had already compacted to six or seven inches.

I will never ever forget that storm and that was the first storm that sort of renewed my faith in winter storms after a horrific period of warm winters of suppressed systems when it was colder. That was a great winter and the first winter since I had started keeping snow fall records that was sig above normal.

I am glad I wasnt living where I do now for that storm though as I think they hardly had an inch or two and I remember BDL only getting four or five inches too. I remember the wind from that storm was just relentless.

Archived