• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
D6 event....blizzard, flizzard, rain, or partly cloudy?

weathafella

Looks like around the 20th or so we might get some clipper type systems...flow aloft is pretty damn fast and looks really active...also looks pretty darn cold as well.

At least it looks like xmas week will be cold....save the torch for the 1st week of January; xmas is the one time of year that I don't mind cold without snow (if indeed we don't see snow).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could happen but imho not for long. The NAO will not be denied and she'll be back. Furthermore, if this storm happens, it adds some life to it.

The Jan torch has been touted by many since fall, they can not back down now, although many had mid Dec as the start of the warming trend. It's snowing, I have cover life is good.

It's never really a good thing when you're in the bullseye that far out...as much as this sentence probably gets overused...same thing in the summer for convection...I HATE when the models 4+ days out show PERFECT timing of the cold front b/c you know that timing is not going to work out and the front will come through earlier or later and that's not a good thing.

I know Ray said if the 12z Euro is still meh tomorrow it may be time for concern, DT said that as well (for our sake) but I'll really give this until 12z runs on Thursday...when you're dealing with timing issues you almost have to wait until you're in the short-term to finally jump the gun.

Yea, if the EURO is still crap at 12z Thursday then it's probably gm over......I just think 12z tmw would warrant some concern.

It's never really a good thing when you're in the bullseye that far out...as much as this sentence probably gets overused...same thing in the summer for convection...I HATE when the models 4+ days out show PERFECT timing of the cold front b/c you know that timing is not going to work out and the front will come through earlier or later and that's not a good thing.

I know Ray said if the 12z Euro is still meh tomorrow it may be time for concern, DT said that as well (for our sake) but I'll really give this until 12z runs on Thursday...when you're dealing with timing issues you almost have to wait until you're in the short-term to finally jump the gun.

It may be one of those things where we have to wait until the actual s/w is sampled by RAOBs. It could take 2-3 more days easily.

At least it looks like xmas week will be cold....save the torch for the 1st week of January; xmas is the one time of year that I don't mind cold without snow (if indeed we don't see snow).

Yeah both the GFS/Euro have really been hitting the cold hard for the period prior to Christmas...I don't actually mind the real cold either, just finally been able to handle the cold, just so long as it's not windy I can deal with it.

It may be one of those things where we have to wait until the actual s/w is sampled by RAOBs. It could take 2-3 more days easily.

Yeah that's a great point! Once we get the s/w into the US and into a better data source region we should have a much better idea. I'll definitely give this one3-4 more days.

Yeah that's a great point! Once we get the s/w into the US and into a better data source region we should have a much better idea. I'll definitely give this one3-4 more days.

He is technically right, but tell me you won't have a sick feeling in the pit on your stomach if the EURO is burying Bermuda at 12z on Thursday. :lol:

He is technically right, but tell me you won't have a sick feeling in the pit on your stomach if the EURO is burying Bermuda at 12z on Thursday. :lol:

I can't deny I won't have a sick feeling lol b/c I definitely would. I would just try the best I could to remain somewhat hopeful/positive even though deep down I'll feel a knife with "2010" carved in it is stabbing me.

Well if it sux on Thursday, I would worry some. That's 2.5 days out.

It's also going to depend on exactly how extreme of a difference it is between the northern stream energy and southern stream energy...if it's something like where it's just 6 hours too slow with the northern stream energy well that's still pretty close to where something could happen...but if it's like 8-9+ hours difference than that would be a concern.

Well if it sux on Thursday, I would worry some. That's 2.5 days out.

I tend to describe things rather tersely, in a matter-of-fact manner and I know it gets obnoxious....so I'm sorry for getting annoying, but I honestly am not ready to axe the threat.....but when a run blows, I'm gonna state it in no uncertain terms. lol

Believe me, folks will hear it loud and clearly when I see fit to declare "gm ovr". :lol:

The northern stream almost always wins this year...look at this recent event. I suppose it could just be an insignificant flat southern wave, but if it phases to any degree and we get a big storm then I think it will keep trending northwest to where the best northern stream energy is. I don't think this is the winter of 09-10 again for DC.

It's also going to depend on exactly how extreme of a difference it is between the northern stream energy and southern stream energy...if it's something like where it's just 6 hours too slow with the northern stream energy well that's still pretty close to where something could happen...but if it's like 8-9+ hours difference than that would be a concern.

I don't think its about strength really...its about timing/phasing.

Thanks, was just wondering if strength would have any sort of role. As far as timing issues with the two pieces of energy would there be anything upstrea or downstream we'd want to see that could cause slower or faster timing?

Archived