• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
D6 event....blizzard, flizzard, rain, or partly cloudy?

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah pretty flat.

Looks like it gets measurable back to BOS and Cape Cod with a couple inches....you can certainly see how fine the line is between this ripping almost due north along the coast vs barely scraping the area.

Looping 5H is very telling....picture worht 1000 words.

Looks like it gets measurable back to BOS and Cape Cod with a couple inches....you can certainly see how fine the line is between this ripping almost due north along the coast vs barely scraping the area.

We're walking on a very fine line here--I posted in the NYC thread that the Euro is "a few hours" away from tugging this up the coast. This run says something to me given how awful it looked both aloft and at the surface initially--something major is going on that's tucking this thing north, and fast. I don't have access to the vorticity on SV, but does it have the shortwave rolling southeast from Idaho/Montana and then into the trough base? The more amplified models had this feature.

It's got 3 little vorts instead of one nice vort at hr 132. I think if we lost the "noise" of the other vorts, it would be much better. Eh, not horrible for 5-6 days out.

We're walking on a very fine line here--I posted in the NYC thread that the Euro is "a few hours" away from tugging this up the coast. This run says something to me given how awful it looked both aloft and at the surface initially--something major is going on that's tucking this thing north, and fast. I don't have access to the vorticity on SV, but does it have the shortwave rolling southeast from Idaho/Montana and then into the trough base? The more amplified models had this feature.

You have the southern stream s/w in Texas at 84h and the piece it eventually tries to phase with at the last second is the s/w in NE Montana at the same hour (84)....but you can see that the "shortwave" in Montana is actually just an extension of the PV...so depending on how deep or shallow that is and the timing, you can certainly get a much more amplified solution.

However, I'll say this, the recent trend on 00z made the PV core north of New England is to hold tougher for longer, so that is probably shifting our envelope of solutions eastward....but certainly leaving everything on the table from a blizzard to a whiff to mixing/changeover issues....however, the latter is probably slowly but surely becoming less of a threat.

You have the southern stream s/w in Texas at 84h and the piece it eventually tries to phase with at the last second is the s/w in NE Montana at the same hour (84)....but you can see that the "shortwave" in Montana is actually just an extension of the PV...so depending on how deep or shallow that is and the timing, you can certainly get a much more amplified solution.

However, I'll say this, the recent trend on 00z made the PV core north of New England is to hold tougher for longer, so that is probably shifting our envelope of solutions eastward....but certainly leaving everything on the table from a blizzard to a whiff to mixing/changeover issues....however, the latter is probably slowly but surely becoming less of a threat.

Good news.....my meltdown scenario is fading....Kev ftl.

Like John said, I do like how, with the help of the shortwave from MT, that it tries to phase and get the whole PV involved..just a little too late.

Like John said, I do like how, with the help of the shortwave from MT, that it tries to phase and get the whole PV involved..just a little too late.

Interesting how the GFS got this thing up the coast in a completely different manner. It was so initially deep with the shortwave that when the energy came through MT into the Plains, the trough just deepened very rapidly. If not for the confluence over New England on the 00z OP GFS, many people up and down the east coast would probably be foaming at the mouth.

f126.gif

Interesting how the GFS got this thing up the coast in a completely different manner. It was so initially deep with the shortwave that when the energy came through MT into the Plains, the trough just deepened very rapidly. If not for the confluence over New England on the 00z OP GFS, many people up and down the east coast would probably be foaming at the mouth.

f126.gif

Yeah and it shows the the different options on the table too. A powerful southern stream s/w is one way. Should be interesting tomorrow.

Trending toward and ene threat at the moment.

No reason to lose hope... according to DT, the model has the placement wrong and the precip should be much closer to the coast.  With the wide range of solutions on the table, anything is still possible.

No reason to lose hope... according to DT, the model has the placement wrong and the precip should be much closer to the coast. With the wide range of solutions on the table, anything is still possible.

If you think about my perspective in this, that was not a pessimistic post.

Will, is DT right and why....

I'm bummed by what seems a trend among all the models to be shifting SE (save the UK--long live the Queen).. To be sure, it's still several days out and things can change. I'd rather have the models prsenting a range of possibilities rather than the unanimity to be OTS.

As will said, the "mix scenario" is becoming less likely. That bodes for possible congrats to you folks in eastern areas (maybe central) and envy among those in God's country. That said, I'm eager to see the 12z runs.

14.1/9

EDIT: 06Z has come west a few ticks and gives the Cape a pat on the back as it slides by.

Archived