Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you expecting tonight?

A 1-3" deal topped with some IP/ZR before going over to rain. Without a good high in place I don't expect any major icing here, but up above 1kft it may get a little more precarious. The NAM spins up a little mesolow from ORH to PSM tomorrow afternoon so it'll be interesting how that affects the 2m 0C isotherm up here. I suspect I'll quickly latently heat my way up to a 33F rainer once the heavy precip moves in. Regardless I should avoid the "torch" tomorrow and keep the snowpack intact.

A 1-3" deal topped with some IP/ZR before going over to rain. Without a good high in place I don't expect any major icing here, but up above 1kft it may get a little more precarious. The NAM spins up a little mesolow from ORH to PSM tomorrow afternoon so it'll be interesting how that affects the 2m 0C isotherm up here. I suspect I'll quickly latently heat my way up to a 33F rainer once the heavy precip moves in. Regardless I should avoid the "torch" tomorrow and keep the snowpack intact.

Hum, Im 32.6F with dew of 18F so I should drop some with the snow. Question will be how fast I rise back. I'll go with 2-4" and most of the storm below freezing. I always seem to rise slower than expected. Interesting night ahead.

Hum, Im 32.6F with dew of 18F so I should drop some with the snow. Question will be how fast I rise back. I'll go with 2-4" and most of the storm below freezing. I always seem to rise slower than expected. Interesting night ahead.

Well yeah...we'll sublimationally cool down, but the WAA goes bonkers overnight with +8-9C at 850 making it into C NH. Elevation will certainly help you, but I think you make it above 32F as well. Either way it will be a mess.

why can't wx conditions be reported objectively?

"Steady weenie flakes w/ an occasional sleet pellet warm 38/28" = "light snow mixed with sleet. 38/28"

When I make a formal report to NWS Box I always use correct terminology and often here but honestly what was coming down at the time did not even qualify as SN- so thus my description was "weenie flakes w/ an occcasional sleet pellet". Descriptive laymans terms that most would comprehend without having to waste a post inquiring about inappropriate vernacular. Capiche?

When I make a formal report to NWS Box I always use correct terminology and often here but honestly what was coming down at the time did not even qualify as SN- so thus my description was "weenie flakes w/ an occcasional sleet pellet". Descriptive laymans terms that most would comprehend without having to waste a post inquiring about inappropriate vernacular. Capiche?

flurries mixed with sleet

Archived