Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro was least bad. It wasn't great either when you consider Will indicated it changed him at 6am and 5 hours later it's still snowing.

Total model failure.

Basically but if you hung your hat on the Nam know one south of here had any snow to speak of , GFS and Euro were the 2 that were the coldest, The models under scored the cold air once again as they seem to struggle with the CAD

Moderate to heavy snow here at Augsta with 0.5 on the ground along with northeast winds @ 13mph vis down to a half mile..gonna be a wild ride for New England over the next 24 to 48 hours including the passage of the arctic fropa...strong winds and plunging temps and blowing snow..will make be harsh for those who have gotten use to the mild weather we have had over the past several months in New England...

Been ripping here for the past hour. 3" not accounting for comapcting

This is how it should be in these set ups, Greenfield is usually just N or the RA/SN line.

Really nice to bust on the positive side although it seems the monday modeling was fairly accurate with totals etc out here so I'm not sure how much of a bust it is. Box map from yesterday will come in right on or a little under.

Yeah it's done a little better overall..certainly better than I thought. Good thing we have snow ranges..lol. But the GFS and euro hinted at it. Those highs to the ne always win. Those snow algorithms actually did decent for you guys..at least from what I recall.

Basically but if you hung your hat on the Nam know one south of here had any snow to speak of , GFS and Euro were the 2 that were the coldest, The models under scored the cold air once again as they seem to struggle with the CAD

At 850mb it lined up very well with what we saw just based on the 0z and wunderground. Dynamics probably overcame the warm layers mixed in. But correct me if I'm wrong the 0c 8h on the wunderground site matched up pretty well with where the snow fell away from the effects of the CF.

That's my take looking at it just now versus reading what others say, at just that level it did well.

Board hiatus cancel. I'm refreshed. Nice to see everyone get a nice little overperformer. Looks like we have 8-10 days of possible fun . I had 1.3 inches..but it was 32.8 and raining when i left
Below 500 feet there was nothing on the ground 700 feet had about 1/2 an inch

I hope you got out around 3-4am....it was ripping pretty good here about then. About 1" here. Down the hill I could see that there was less and more up around 1000' so I think you're right.

34/32 now. Still seeing the occasional IP/"cat paw" mixed in. I hope the (mostly) slush makes it through this weekend. I hate having a nice cold wave and nothing white around.

Yes...I think most of the elevated parts (above 5-600') of NE CT have snow. There was about 1-2" depending on elevation here. I can't speak for NW CT but I did see reports out there that there was snow.

I'm in NW CT, I had 1.5" about at 1k. I'm sure areas N and W of me at similar elevations like Norfolk ended up with at least 3"

I hope you got out around 3-4am....it was ripping pretty good here about then. About 1" here. Down the hill I could see that there was less and more up around 1000' so I think you're right.

34/32 now. Still seeing the occasional IP/"cat paw" mixed in. I hope the (mostly) slush makes it through this weekend. I hate having a nice cold wave and nothing white around.

I was sound asleep as I expected wire to wire rain.. I had 1.3 inches..I was surprised to wake up and see snow. There also had been a little zr as the trees had a light icing on them..but had risen to 32.8 when i left. Plows were out. Haven't been out since October :axe:

I was sound asleep as I expected wire to wire rain.. I had 1.3 inches..I was surprised to wake up and see snow. There also had been a little zr as the trees had a light icing on them..but had risen to 32.8 when i left. Plows were out. Haven't been out since October :axe:

Welcome back, Kevin!

A few pingers mixing in with this last batch, but too little too late to really harm the accumulation.

29.7/29

Euro was least bad. It wasn't great either when you consider Will indicated it changed him at 6am and 5 hours later it's still snowing.

Total model failure.

Not sure what bong your're toking,, but if you read ANY of the mets posts today..the Euro absolutley nailed this event and the colder end result. it was the ONLY model to see the cold and snowier scenario.

The NAM blew donkey ass

What appears to be the final batch is just moving in. Temp at the lowest it's been since I came down at 5:00a.m. (29.6/29). I haven't been able to look at any modeling, but does anyone have any sense of how this colder solution may play into the stuff tonight/tomorrow?

Sometimes when low pressure approaches, you get an increased wind from the NE. That may be helping to drain the colder air into your area. I think what we might see, is temps possibly inch up a degree or maybe two, then perhaps fall back a bit after 18-20z.

At 850mb it lined up very well with what we saw just based on the 0z and wunderground. Dynamics probably overcame the warm layers mixed in. But correct me if I'm wrong the 0c 8h on the wunderground site matched up pretty well with where the snow fell away from the effects of the CF.

That's my take looking at it just now versus reading what others say, at just that level it did well.

I use SV and it did well with the 0c line, Nam really had pushed the 0c pretty far north as it seemed to pick up on a stronger push of warm air at H8

Archived