• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next week ... Cold temps, but will it snow?

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't have a chance to look --- Can anyone comment on ensemble runs overnight for long range? AK vortex? NAO?

i don't have access to the ec ens after day 10 (but based on what was written above they don't sound good). but i can say day 8-10 is already getting ugly. the relatively brief appearance of north pacific ridging weakens and rapidly retrogrades...heights out in the GOA collapse.

the polar vortex is on our side of the hemisphere but displaced pretty far north. the lowering heights out west drops the serious icebox into central and western canada, with cold spread out across the remainder of Canada - which is OK - but it'll be tough to get it down into the conus consistently with that set-up. there's some higher heights in the southeast us so any little ripple along the flow will want to shoot any surface lp coming out from the northern part of the nation into the GL and NNE...path of least resistance really.

the thing to watch would be for some stronger low level cold pushes now and then...maybe ice problems in new england at some point? just speculating really.

Is there any hint of "not so bad" out in the long range?

FWIW, I honestly think that we're going to enter a more changeable pattern with periods of cold and warm and storms in-between instead of just warm and bleh. The fact that we're seeing ridging in the west and a through in east is a good sign and good start. We just need these waves to continue to propagate and deepen and hopefully we can get something to phase right. Still plenty of time for that!

i dont see any torches in the next ten days.

after that...who knows?

im not going to bet the rent money on what some model predicts for jan. 30. calm down people.

You'll have a warm up next week. It's the last 8-10 days of January that look kind of ugly right now on all guidance. It's a pretty good warm signal.

You'll have a warm up next week. It's the last 8-10 days of January that look kind of ugly right now on all guidance. It's a pretty good warm signal.

i dont doubt that is a possibility. i dont even doubt that it is likely.

but werent many on this board just last week or so happy about the way the end of jan looked? obviously something changed. it could change again....

i dont doubt that is a possibility. i dont even doubt that it is likely.

but werent many on this board just last week or so happy about the way the end of jan looked? obviously something changed. it could change again....

No not really. I think many of us thought it was going to end around 1/22ish and have said that all along, but we got drowned out by the eternal optimists that have been wrong since 10/31

I wouldn't be surprised if it was warmer given the pattern that we're coming out of. Like I was saying, the most important thing is we're entering a more wave like pattern. Perhaps we'll enter a one week cold, one week warm kind of pattern and it will turn cold again for the first week of February?!?

Archived