• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Next week ... Cold temps, but will it snow?

OKpowdah

So...were the ensembles pushng the ch qnge too early? Are we really going to see some winter in February? Roger Smith ftw?

This version of change really is no different in real weather than November in terms of where the snow flew. I'm hoping in February we get some legit shots. We may have a chance around the 19-21...but in the meantime..snooze.

EDIT: I don't buy the weeklies, I think something is off there for there to be such massive anomalies and if they're not wrong we may see some records.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The chances for any significant snowstorms look extremely low the rest of this month...not good. Could always be a surprise across central/northern New England but down this way things do not look good at all.

Should be a top 3 least snowiest January here when all said and done, perhaps even least snowiest (although all we need at BDL is 0.3'' to make sure that doesn't happen).

I might be too optismistic, but I'm not going try to polish a piece of crap here....however...I see a few signa that are starting to make me feel somewhat better.

1) So we know the pattern begins to break down. The PV retrogrades and so does the blocking. However, the job is done regarding bringing cold into Canada.

2) This mainly applies after d10. So what we see, is zonal PAC flow and a very mild pattern across most of the US. In fact, it's a blow torch all things considered. Also, still have troughing into the Davis Straits, so all signs point to torch over most of the US..especially south and east.

3) However, there are signs of ridging trying to develop over NE Canada and this pushes into the Davis Straits towards d12-13. This is important because the storm track verbatim is over or just south of SNE. Any little confluence to our ne will help push the boundary south. It almost looks like an ice risk too if you believe the pattern. Overall looks like lots of overrunning and have to favor NNE..but this is something to watch. Heights in the last couple of runs have tended to try and raise heights there.

4) By d15-16 there looks like a legit -NAO on the EC ensembles. Yes it is d16, but this has been developing in the ensembles. Verbatim, the Tip teleconnection index is -1SD. Not bad. So while this is no guarantee and anything at the end of the ensembles is always subject to change...I think this is a feature worth watching. South of SNE, it looks like a disaster.

I might be too optismistic, but I'm not going try to polish a piece of crap here....however...I see a few signa that are starting to make me feel somewhat better.

1) So we know the pattern begins to break down. The PV retrogrades and so does the blocking. However, the job is done regarding bringing cold into Canada.

2) This mainly applies after d10. So what we see, is zonal PAC flow and a very mild pattern across most of the US. In fact, it's a blow torch all things considered. Also, still have troughing into the Davis Straits, so all signs point to torch over most of the US..especially south and east.

3) However, there are signs of ridging trying to develop over NE Canada and this pushes into the Davis Straits towards d12-13. This is important because the storm track verbatim is over or just south of SNE. Any little confluence to our ne will help push the boundary south. It almost looks like an ice risk too if you believe the pattern. Overall looks like lots of overrunning and have to favor NNE..but this is something to watch. Heights in the last couple of runs have tended to try and raise heights there.

4) By d15-16 there looks like a legit -NAO on the EC ensembles. Yes it is d16, but this has been developing in the ensembles. Verbatim, the Tip teleconnection index is -1SD. Not bad. So while this is no guarantee and anything at the end of the ensembles is always subject to change...I think this is a feature worth watching. South of SNE, it looks like a disaster.

At least this post wasn't a total wrist slitter. Reading this thread makes me ashamed of some of the SNE gang. Never have I seen such a bunch of sad sacks, One should never succumb to pessimism. Ullr rewards the pious and punishes the non-believers.

At least this post wasn't a total wrist slitter. Reading this thread makes me ashamed of some of the SNE gang. Never have I seen such a bunch of sad sacks, One should never succumb to pessimism. Ullr rewards the pious and punishes the non-believers.

LOL, I don't know what you are injesting...but I want some.

It's been bad...I'm not going to sugar coat it.

LOL, I don't know what you are injesting...but I want some.

It's been bad...I'm not going to sugar coat it.

Fresh snow. All the LR doom and gloom about yesterday's storm never came to pass. "Rain to Canada" phail. More snow on the way. 2 weeks from today I'll be in Nirvana.

The chances for any significant snowstorms look extremely low the rest of this month...not good. Could always be a surprise across central/northern New England but down this way things do not look good at all.

Should be a top 3 least snowiest January here when all said and done, perhaps even least snowiest (although all we need at BDL is 0.3'' to make sure that doesn't happen).

Sometimes I wonder if you use anything but the GFS..I guess you've missed the clipper on the Euro and its ens for Jan 20 or 21

You may easily be correct. Pattern pretty much sucks, but it wouldn't take a big change to make things more interesting.

Definitely not...in fact even just looking at the GFS the timeframe from the 17-th-22nd could be interesting if we could get a few things to work out...one of them being perfect phasing which you'll never get timing of the phasing 100% correct this far out.

One thing yesterday's storm proved is even if the pattern sucks you just never know and that is why many still don't put much effort into long-range forecasting (not necessarily talking seasonal here but 6-7+ days out)...one little sneaky move and you can get snow.

One thing I find interesting as well which I was talking with earthlight about this a few nights ago is that ridging we see developing in SE Canada...that is something that could really try and benefit us, even if we aren't seeing much in the way of a trough here...just as long as we aren't seeing massive ridging.

As for the clipper scenario I don't really trust model depictions of clippers more than 2 days out really.

The Torch to end all torches is coming for the last week of the month, the clippers a flipper ha ha. I expect record highs to fall later this month, its going to transform the landscape, truly an epic and awe inspiring period of warmth.

Cant wait.

I disagree. I don't see a record high pattern around here. It could get warm sure, but I think if any highs fall..it will be south of us.

The Torch to end all torches is coming for the last week of the month, the clippers a flipper ha ha. I expect record highs to fall later this month, its going to transform the landscape, truly an epic and awe inspiring period of warmth.

Cant wait.

This weekend should shave 2-3F off the monthly departure. The table below shows current monthly departure, the forecast for each day, and the new departure after this cold spell.

CURRENT   FRI JAN 13   SAT JAN 14   SUN JAN 15   MON JAN 16   JAN 14-16  FORECAST  CHANGE
ID   JAN DEP   HI LO  DEP   HI LO  DEP   HI LO  DEP   HI LO  DEP    AVG DEP    JAN DEP  JAN DEP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOS   + 6.1    45 32  +10   32 17  - 4   22 12  -12   34 11  - 6     - 7.3      + 3.8    - 2.3
BDL   + 7.6    43 26  + 9   31 15  - 3   23 10  - 9   33  9  - 5     - 5.7      + 5.2    - 2.4
PVD   + 5.7    51 30  +12   34 18  - 3   24 11  -11   35 12  - 5     - 6.3      + 3.8    - 1.9
ORH   + 6.9    37 24  + 7   26 10  - 6   17  6  -12   30  5  - 6     - 8.0      + 4.1    - 2.8

This weekend should shave 2-3F off the monthly departure. The table below shows current monthly departure, the forecast for each day, and the new departure after this cold spell.

CURRENT   FRI JAN 13   SAT JAN 14   SUN JAN 15   MON JAN 16   JAN 14-16  FORECAST  CHANGE
ID   JAN DEP   HI LO  DEP   HI LO  DEP   HI LO  DEP   HI LO  DEP    AVG DEP    JAN DEP  JAN DEP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOS   + 6.1    45 32  +10   32 17  - 4   22 12  -12   34 11  - 6     - 7.3      + 3.8    - 2.3
BDL   + 7.6    43 26  + 9   31 15  - 3   23 10  - 9   33  9  - 5     - 5.7      + 5.2    - 2.4
PVD   + 5.7    51 30  +12   34 18  - 3   24 11  -11   35 12  - 5     - 6.3      + 3.8    - 1.9
ORH   + 6.9    37 24  + 7   26 10  - 6   17  6  -12   30  5  - 6     - 8.0      + 4.1    - 2.8

Scary to think what those numbers will look like come end of month. Wow this arctic shot is moderating, okx had a forecast low of 8 for mon morning as of yesterday, today its 18, same story different day.

dude, wtf are you talking about, I have a trace of snow since October and is raining today, what do you expect, lol

I disagree. I don't see a record high pattern around here. It could get warm sure, but I think if any highs fall..it will be south of us.

We shall see Scott, all I know is the warmth has overperformed in every torch so far this winter, I would not bet against it even if the uap does not have the record look to it.

We shall see Scott, all I know is the warmth has overperformed in every torch so far this winter, I would not bet against it even if the uap does not have the record look to it.

For records, you'll need a huge trough in the west and a +NAO. I'm not sure we'll see both. It doesn't mean we can't get some sort of a cutter, but at first glance..I don't think the pattern supports record highs.

Going to be tough to gauge this far out at where that gradient sets up. All we know right now (or believe) is the gradient will be extremely tight. I would probably bet that northern New England will be too far north for any record warm temps but I could see at least CT being in some near record warmth territory and especially down by NYC.

Archived