• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Next week ... Cold temps, but will it snow?

OKpowdah

All long range torch talk aside...Euro has a brutally cold day on Sunday...it has 2m temps in the lower teens for highs over the interior...even BOS struggling to get out of the teens.

Stowe area calling for -20f lows Sat night with high of 2f on Sun followed by almost the same next Wed/thurs. It certainly is winter up there.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well records? Snowgoose suggests that MCI may challenge the all time Feb of 83? With a January sun angle. That starts to scare me actually. I know that extreme events cannot be specifically linked to climate change but seriously...83 in January??? WTBF???

+16C at 850 gets you to 31-33C at the surface in July which is roughly 87-90. In January if you've got sun and decent winds you figure you can make it to +28c which is very close to 83.

+16C at 850 gets you to 31-33C at the surface in July which is roughly 87-90. In January if you've got sun and decent winds you figure you can make it to +28c which is very close to 83.

Crazy though. Then again, torches like freezers tend to be overdone verbatim but the signal is of high decibel!

Seriously who gives a f uc k about Kansas City. hopefully next week has some overrunning. There is a thread for the heat folks going.

Next week is cold but it won't snow. They could change the topic title to that and lock it because that's all that matters.

So we can talk about cold which is not novel, unique, or in any way unexpected in the middle of January, or the potential for 80 degrees when some thought we were going to see polar bears wandering the streets of Hartford and Boston looking for scraps by month end.

Well records? Snowgoose suggests that MCI may challenge the all time Feb of 83? With a January sun angle. That starts to scare me actually. I know that extreme events cannot be specifically linked to climate change but seriously...83 in January??? WTBF???

The high temp for Boston in Jan is 72f back in 1950. 83f would be interesting but that said, AK is cold, Austria and Switz are cold and getting crushed with snow, absolutely epic crushed. It's just not our year, nothing more IMO.

Good for KC, glad to hear it.

The signal at least through D10 is considerably more muted here...BUUTT....I think 55-65 is perfectly reasonable expectation in the coming torch. I certainly hope it flips in February because this spring witll be painful otherwise. Remember that bd front in 2002...early spring...dropped from 80s to near 50 in a half hour. And spring went sayonara till summer. Hopefully we don't suffer the same fate. But we are so due for a crappy spring given the joy of the past 2 years.

The signal at least through D10 is considerably more muted here...BUUTT....I think 55-65 is perfectly reasonable expectation in the coming torch. I certainly hope it flips in February because this spring witll be painful otherwise. Remember that bd front in 2002...early spring...dropped from 80s to near 50 in a half hour. And spring went sayonara till summer. Hopefully we don't suffer the same fate. But we are so due for a crappy spring given the joy of the past 2 years.

SSTs are goign to be so warm after this winter I think spring will be just fine to be honest.

The high temp for Boston in Jan is 72f back in 1950. 83f would be interesting but that said, AK is cold, Austria and Switz are cold and getting crushed with snow, absolutely epic crushed. It's just not our year, nothing more IMO.

It won't come close to 83 here. KC is pretty far south vs us which is how it happened in February there.

True about the arctic.....this has been the revenge of climate change talk up there. The Arctic was supposed to be the place it happened first and the past few years have been above normal. This year is unreal. I want to go.

SSTs are goign to be so warm after this winter I think spring will be just fine to be honest.

It was warm in 2002...do you remember? Unreal warmth end to end. NWS called it at the time the warmest winter in recorded history. SSTA are not so great really....a few above normal and 2 weeks of cold remedies that. And even so, its' the NAO that will tube us in spring just as it gives us glory in winter.

i hear ya - but SSTs will still bottom out in the upper 30s i think.

the spring's we've had the past two years (especially 2 years ago - as last spring wasn't *great*) were really independent of the SST - it was just a great weather pattern for keeping BDs away

It won't come close to 83 here. KC is pretty far south vs us which is how it happened in February there.

True about the arctic.....this has been the revenge of climate change talk up there. The Arctic was supposed to be the place it happened first and the past few years have been above normal. This year is unreal. I want to go.

Sorry, thought you guys were talking here not KC.

Same thing with Europe too. They had a few lean years recently which fueled the talk. But not this year. I want to go to Tyrol, so much snow they are forced to shut the resorts down and roads and trains are shut down. Too much snow lol. Switz would be fun too. Someday soon.

This is an odd year. Its got that 01-02 feel but in 01-02 there was literally no buckling of the jet anywhere in the northern hemisphere all winter although there was brutally cold air present in the far northern latitudes, very much unlike 94-95, 97-98 where even the arctic was mild. The problem this year is we cannot get anything right where the height anomalies setup allowing the cold air to spill directly into the lower 48 for any sustained period or really even at all. I agree with DT and some of the other Mets that this may be a negative feedback deal whereby the sustained crap pattern in Nov which allowed the snow build up in Siberia may have resulted in the highs wanting to gravitate to that area now which is why that AK block quickly exited stage left for the land of hockey and Vodka.

i hear ya - but SSTs will still bottom out in the upper 30s i think.

the spring's we've had the past two years (especially 2 years ago - as last spring wasn't *great*) were really independent of the SST - it was just a great weather pattern for keeping BDs away

Yea SSTs will cool no matter, how would even 40 degree SSTs with wind off the water make a spring day any warmer, silly.

It's time to fold em folks.. Sometimes you come to a crossroads...do you hold or do you fold on this winter...I fold..accepted and moved on. Spent alot of time today on the road between sales calls down in Norwich thinking about it..I'm at peace with it. It still makes me mad how this winter has turned out. If you told me I would have 1 inch of snow in December and 1 inch of snow in Jan going into this winter..I would have asked you if you were drunk.. But it is reality..and it's time to move on..and not let the pattern get to you,,and stop obsessing over it..Just fold em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2mFiN7GIc

FWIW..Gibbs told me he thinks this spring is going to be ugly and miserable in the northeast.

We've gone over this in the NYC board. I strongly agree, you look at the springs and summers after 2nd year La Ninas and they generally are not pretty, 2000 obviously being the most recent one and if we begin progressing towards neutral or weak Nino its not much better as typically those springs and summers are not very warm as well.

It's time to fold em folks.. Sometimes you come to a crossroads...do you hold or do you fold on this winter...I fold..accepted and moved on. Spent alot of time today on the road between sales calls down in Norwich thinking about it..I'm at peace with it. It still makes me mad how this winter has turned out. If you told me I would have 1 inch of snow in December and 1 inch of snow in Jan going into this winter..I would have asked you if you were drunk.. But it is reality..and it's time to move on..and not let the pattern get to you,,and stop obsessing over it..Just fold em

We could have had lunch , next you come down this way text me.

We've gone over this in the NYC board.  I strongly agree, you look at the springs and summers after 2nd year La Ninas and they generally are not pretty, 2000 obviously being the most recent one and if we begin progressing towards neutral or weak Nino its not much better as typically those springs and summers are not very warm as well.

Good news

Archived