• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Next week ... Cold temps, but will it snow?

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the D7 Euro doesn't look too bad - it has a kind of an icing appeal from the GL into western NY. Thing is, with the big SPV up there, the mean polar boundary could very well situate/be locked into 40N.

In any event, that flat wave moving through the MV could help lop some overrunning cold QPF types on the polarward side.

>+16 850s to Kansas City. Dear God.

The worst part is there's actually a Sonoran heat release signal!!!!!!

Their record high for 1/22 is 70, the 850 temp is only about 8 degrees lower than that, the all time record is 75 in 1950..the all time record for February is 83. I'd imagine that would have a shot at getting broken in that setup.

Actually the D7 Euro doesn't look too bad - it has a kind of an icing appeal from the GL into western NY. Thing is, with the big SPV up there, the mean polar boundary could very well situate/be locked into 40N.

In any event, that flat wave moving through the MV could help lop some overrunning cold QPF types on the polarward side.

I think our only real shot for wintry wx is the clipper next Friday...perhaps some icing from a wave after that, but it looks like these waves want to amp up a bit too much to allow for that.

Its pretty incredible just how brutally cold it is north of the US/Canada border, but that gradient is just set up too far north for us.

this euro run is painful to watch on many levels.

Wow.. as if it couldn't get any worse. :ee::facepalm:

As bad (warm/torch) as may be the the week after 1/22, my gut is telling me that it will be short lived and the long range guidance does support that but it's out in fantasy land so I guess we'll see. Yesterday's storm was supposed to be in Buffalo when it was in the long range so you never know.

Besides, that's our January Thaw!

As bad (warm/torch) as may be the the week after 1/22, my gut is telling me that it will be short lived and the long range guidance does support that but it's out in fantasy land so I guess we'll see. Yesterday's storm was supposed to be in Buffalo when it was in the long range so you never know.

Besides, that's our January Thaw!

What constitutes a "thaw" this winter? Seriously? Its gotta be like upper 60s low 70s right?

And we will resoundingly get ball-busted when a snowstorm does happen.

Oh I'm sure, and I do think the gods will align and we will have that period that produces a snow event. We aren't going to go with 1.5" of snow in boston for the entire winter. But that said, there's no disguising how poorly this winter has performed unless your totally deluded. This is not good for ski areas either, even those with snow face a tough sell when it's swimsuit weather in January.

I think our only real shot for wintry wx is the clipper next Friday...perhaps some icing from a wave after that, but it looks like these waves want to amp up a bit too much to allow for that.

Its pretty incredible just how brutally cold it is north of the US/Canada border, but that gradient is just set up too far north for us.

Blows that most of the time the shots are either straight down, but more often then not at an ESE trajectory the rest of the time causing everything to form too far east when we do get the cold.

Wouldn't you rather be ball-busted once versus the guys insisting on a pattern change with cold and snow chances that have been consistently wrong for three months now?

The last two years all you had to do is go cold and you'd win. I've never seen warmth like this in my life and probably never will again.

Don't care really. I just call m like I see it. This ones been a dead ratter since Nov.

Same here. I rarely dig into the long range stuff but this has seemed pretty clear to me since I made the bet with Jerry. This one just wreaks warm.

I think we still don't get long term patterns well. By nature we want to look at everything in terms of years and I think that isn't the way nature works. I think it's multi-year cycles and we're at the back end of the 2-3 year snow period and we're averaging it all out. It's the end of the overall macro pattern.

yeah that's what pains me the most about these runs. unbelievable cold just sitting there and so expansive...yet getting it down here will be so difficult.

Yes, good point actually.

What an absolute epic fail. Our worst fears about the pattern and the subsequent change have come true.

Doesn't it actually have to happen before this can be declared? I realize that there appears to be a lot of support for warmth at this point, but this post (and many others like it) seem a tad too definitive. I have a feeling that the slam-dunk tone wouldn't be there if the long-range was showing prolonged Arctic cold and multiple KU's.

Yeah, agree for the most part - I was really just sort of spit-balling to throw the heartachers a bone.

I posted earlier...I analyzed the TC's from over night and as is, ....not good.

OK, I don't beleive this for a moment, but let me spin a positive scenario:

In the map below, you will see a low that has just crossed 180w. In another day, this low will be on the southwest flank of the big vortex spinning in the Gulf of Alaska. The two will phase, creating a monster vortex near 160w 50n. This leads to a huge PNA spike, which in turn sends a big chunk of the cold air over Canada plunging southeastward:

post-837-0-57377400-1326482907.gif

I think we still don't get long term patterns well. By nature we want to look at everything in terms of years and I think that isn't the way nature works. I think it's multi-year cycles and we're at the back end of the 2-3 year snow period and we're averaging it all out. It's the end of the overall macro pattern.

I can't agree enough with this statement. The only thing that I would add is that the cycles can last an indefinite amount of time...some are short, some are long but I think you were alluding to that.

I can't agree enough with this statement. The only thing that I would add is that the cycles can last an indefinite amount of time...some are short, some are long but I think you were alluding to that.

I think we naturally don't notice some of the fluctuations in the summer so we tend to think of patterns mainly in the winter.

If you look at this couple of year trend...and my memory is horrific so maybe I'm wrong...but a couple of years ago the snow was way to our south. Last year it moved north over us, and this year the battle lines are so far north we're rarely able to form storms that have a snow impact. IMO a couple of year pattern tied to what's going on in the huge bodies of water etc.

I think we naturally don't notice some of the fluctuations in the summer so we tend to think of patterns mainly in the winter.

If you look at this couple of year trend...and my memory is horrific so maybe I'm wrong...but a couple of years ago the snow was way to our south. Last year it moved north over us, and this year the battle lines are so far north we're rarely able to form storms that have a snow impact. IMO a couple of year pattern tied to what's going on in the huge bodies of water etc.

Part of the problem is people equate pattern change to "it will finally snow in my backyard". It's not that simple. Saying conus is going to torch past day 8 seems like a really good bet. Could it be short lived or muted in new England? Sure! That doesn't mean the forecast busted.

Archived