• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2012 Storm Threats and Discussion

PhineasC

Well said. The consensus for January seems to be a cool start with moderation back to the warmer

pattern and perhaps something more tantalizing towards the end of the month and into late winter.

This, so far, is not the type of winter the least bit interested in melding cold intrusions with blocking.

When Wes starts liking the 500 mb pattern and Don S. proclaims a trending negative AO...maybe, just maybe...

and by the time all those things finally happen, we'll be fighting climo and worrying about sun-angle.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The euro ensembles were not pretty looking wrt that storm. Everything is just a bit too far to the east right now.

And actually the euro ensemble mean of 12z yesterday didn't exactly show support for the op run. It was more progressive. Same could be said for the GGEM ens mean. That was a red flag right there not to be too excited about the chances.

a month full of heatbreak is better than a few days i suppose. ;)

I'm not a grand expert here, but a glance at the GFS ensembles from

0Z suggest that the pattern tries to become meridional for a brief period

next week but can't lock in so any east SLP scoots out to sea and then

the Pacific zonal flow resumes big time.

It seems that this drabness is an 800 lb. gorilla that has squatted and has

little if any interest in budging.

anyone who wants to see snow can head NW, great prolonged lake effect event, especially for the eastern lakes with a W to SW fetch and lake temperatures that are running above normal (water temperature off Buffalo is 43F, a record for December 28, per WFO BUF).

anyone who wants to see snow can head NW, great prolonged lake effect event, especially for the eastern lakes with a W to SW fetch and lake temperatures that are running above normal.

Yep.

JonJon, looks like the mountains of WV will pick some excellent snow up next week. Badly needed for the ski resorts.....god bless upslope!

anyone who wants to see snow can head NW, great prolonged lake effect event, especially for the eastern lakes with a W to SW fetch and lake temperatures that are running above normal (water temperature off Buffalo is 43F, a record for December 28, per WFO BUF).

Yep, the ski resorts should do well and should be able to make plenty of snow.

lol, I thought the culprit was 1997-1998.

it didn't help, that's for sure, but 72/73 was imminently more insidious

we had several forecasts for snow that all fell apart at the very end, and I mean very end; oh, they were painful

and at that time, the only wx outlets, aside from radio and tv, was the NOAA radio, so I was blind as to what happened

it didn't help, that's for sure, but 72/73 was imminently more insidious

we had several forecasts for snow that all fell apart at the very end, and I mean very end; oh, they were painful

and at that time, the only wx outlets, aside from radio and tv, was the NOAA radio, so I was blind as to what happened

Looks like the gfs may give you a long range clipper to track for a run or two based on the 168hr. That's a more plausible scenario than the monster euro storm. It's still likely to be wrong

Archived