joxey
January 2012 Storm Threats and Discussion

PhineasC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, it's better than 18Z and better than 12Z runs

soooo, that's all we get from the GFS tonight

Yeah... and there is actual cold air on this run too, which helps. Looks like GFS tries to drop us into the "freezer" from Day 6 on. Also looks like we have our first below freezing day on Jan 3... may not make it to 30 is the 2m temps are right

at least there's a storm on this run at 168 hrs, albeit off the coast

http://mag.ncep.noaa...0&nextImage=yes

This might be a DTism... but could this be a instance of where the GFS is overdoing the cold air, and thereby shoving the storm out to sea? I mean looking at the 2m temps at 177 (yeah I know, just saying) -10c 2m temps are near KMRB/KIAD/KBWI... could be talking about 10-15 degrees for lows Wednesday morning... thats pretty cold air. Looks like we even stay in the 20s for highs on Wed as well...

At least it took a step towards the Euro, no storm yet but the ridge is there now. Like i said earlier i think by tomorrow night it will be alot closer to the EURO.

I agree completely. The GFS is starting to catch on to the larger features the ridge in the west and the trof in the east. GFS doesn't dig the upper energy at the back of the trough though. Certainly a big move in the amplified direction with -20C 850s near baltimore. If it continues to trend toward the Euro tomorrow could be interesting.

This might be a DTism... but could this be a instance of where the GFS is overdoing the cold air, and thereby shoving the storm out to sea? I mean looking at the 2m temps at 177 (yeah I know, just saying) -10c 2m temps are near KMRB/KIAD/KBWI... could be talking about 10-15 degrees for lows

Yoda we are 7 days away, we have tons of time for all these aspects to correct. Do not sweat it this far out. I am starting to get a lot more excited though after seeing the GFS show the ridge at least.

Yoda we are 7 days away, we have tons of time for all these aspects to correct. Do not sweat it this far out. I am starting to get a lot more excited though after seeing the GFS show the ridge at least.

The biggest issue for DC I think would be the placement of the ridge. Its pretty far east even on the Euro. That was one of the problems with Boxing Day...the ridge axis being that far east requires some extremely anomalous deepening of the trough and closing it off.

Unlike Boxing though, if the ridge axis sneaks too far west, then it could cut...since we do not have the monster block in place like last year. So there is a fine line to walk.

Archived