e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 2012 Storm Threats and Discussion

PhineasC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dry and cold and then back to a wretched pattern....The North Atlantic ridge that looked promising 24 hours ago is now over central Europe....no indications of a split flow....I guess there is some comfort in knowing the models are all over the place so maybe the changes we need won't be well modeled....Will and HM were discussing it last night...I don't grasp the entirety of their convo, but I do know the MJO is looking better than it has in a while....THere is a real good chance we are out of phase 5 by the end of the weekend

It is still me beating a dead horse but the MJO HAS TO get out of 5 for us to have a shot. It also gets me to thinking which is more important to get the ball rolling pattern wise. We have started to see that with the +PNA a buckling of the persistence with no NA blocking. Is this bend in pattern enough to get things finally where we need even if it isn't immediate?

Supposedly 00z EURO ensemble mean was a bit better... had a low closer to the coast. Not sure if it got any precip back towards us

If history has taught us anything it's that there will probably be at least one model run between now and Sunday that will show something nice....most of us have learned not to get sucked back in again but there are some that will jump on it

If history has taught us anything it's that there will probably be at least one model run between now and Sunday that will show something nice....most of us have learned not to get sucked back in again but there are some that will jump on it

Second shortwave coming through would be the one that should be watched

Another shutout on the 12z gfs

It is, but it's cold. I suppose that's step 1. According to the folks with the access to the long-range (post Day 10) Euro ensembles in the NE forum, they are consistently showing signs of the Pac improving and changing. Definitely not looking like the torch to start January that we assumed a week ago.

It is, but it's cold. I suppose that's step 1. According to the folks with the access to the long-range (post Day 10) Euro ensembles in the NE forum, they are consistently showing signs of the Pac improving and changing. Definitely not looking like the torch to start January that we assumed a week ago.

Yes, which is good news. We really need to get the GOA low to GTFO

If that holds, then it looks like a lot of assumptions so far this winter will have been a bit misguided.

Let's hope that's right as the 216hr euro from 12Z is downright ugly.

post-70-0-31241800-1325185490.gif

this upcoming cold seems more like a burp than anything. pattern still looks pretty much the same going forward... we're just getting to the climo coldest period

Sure seems that way, of course we can hope this 216 hr euro is a wrong as the one that had the big storm on it. The difference is when the models forecast warm they seem to be right more often than when they go cold and stormy for us. I'm sure that's an illusion and a faulty memory but sometimes it seems that way. I don't see a real change in pattern but when it changes it probalby will hit me in the head I'll be so late.

Sure seems that way, of course we can hope this 216 hr euro is a wrong as the one that had the big storm on it. The difference is when the models forecast warm they seem to be right more often than when they go cold and stormy for us. I'm sure that's an illusion and a faulty memory but sometimes it seems that way. I don't see a real change in pattern but when it changes it probalby will hit me in the head I'll be so late.

If you don't make it snow soon i am about to hit you in the head :weep:.

this upcoming cold seems more like a burp than anything. pattern still looks pretty much the same going forward... we're just getting to the climo coldest period

The GFS ensemble mean looks like it likes the flattening of the ridge and putting a weak negative anomaly over the southwest. The ridge retrogression towards a negative PNa/positive epo look with a positive noa would give us some warm days. The only good think you can say is the models ahve not been stellar so their look could be wrong.

Archived