e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Thursday Wintry Threat

CT Rain

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I get that, but at least I won't get cf exhaust or have the marine puke to combat.

I actually think this wouldn't be a case of that happening. I shouldn't have said strong CF..that was probably bad wording. Think back to the 2-3 storms last winter when the CF was south of me and you ended up doing better than me. There are other features that are important too.

Either way, I don't want to sound to giddy with this....but lets face it...the weather lately has sucked.

As have you and Ryan. I think we are sort of excited in a way, but there is def high let down potential for some...lol.

not that i have any control over it, but i don't want this going NW in a fashion similar to the UKMET or any other mild solution that may exist on the myriad of products out there. i'm still concerned about that, though.

my expectations are zero given the set-up and really the time of year per climo...but i want enough leftover moisture to flip to some flakes thursday morning before this ends....just so it actually briefly looks and feels something like december.

NWS in Upton mentions how dynamic cooling will help areas even along the coast will change to snow: THE COLD FRONT SHOULD HAVE SAGGED FAR ENOUGH SOUTH

TO ALLOW AREAS TO THE NORTH/WEST OF NYC METRO TO START OFF DRY WED

EVENING...WITH LIGHT RAIN/DRIZZLE FOR NYC METRO AND THE COAST...BUT

THEN PRECIP SHOULD RAPIDLY SPREAD NE LATE WED NIGHT AS THE SFC LOW

MOVES OFFSHORE AND THE AREA FALLS UNDERNEATH BANDING IN ITS NW

QUADRANT. NO STRONG HIGH WILL BE IN PLACE TO THE NORTH...BUT NRLY

FLOW AS THE LOW MOVES OFF THE COAST WILL AT LEAST KEEP WARMER

MARITIME AIR FROM GETTING INVOLVED.

NAM VERY AGGRESSIVELY CRASHES SFC TEMPS ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION VIA

DYNAMIC COOLING TO ALLOW FOR A CHANGE TO SNOW ACROSS THE BOARD. AM A

LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS SINCE THIS ACTUALLY WORKED OUT QUITE

WELL IN THE HISTORIC 10/29 SNOWSTORM...BUT SINCE THIS IS A 5TH/6TH

PERIOD EVENT AND FCST IS STILL LESS THAN CERTAIN ESPECIALLY ON THE

MESOSCALE LEVEL...PLAYED IT MORE CONSERVATIVELY BY BLENDING NAM 2M

SFC TEMPS WITH MET MOS GUIDANCE...WHICH SUGGESTS PRIMARILY WET SNOW

FOR A GOOD PORTION OF THE INTERIOR INCLUDING THE CT COAST...AND RAIN

MIXING WITH OR CHANGING TO SNOW FOR NYC METRO AND AREAS JUST

NORTH/WEST AND LONG ISLAND. IT IS STILL A LITTLE TOO EARLY TO GET

SPECIFIC ABOUT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS...BUT A STRIP OF ADVY-LEVEL SNOWFALL

LOOKS POSSIBLE FOR THE INTERIOR...WITH LOWER AMTS FOR NYC METRO AND

LITTLE IF ANY ACCUMULATION FOR MOST OF LONG ISLAND. STAY TUNED HERE

AS SHIFTS IN STORM TRACK/FORWARD MOTION/INTENSITY COULD HAVE

IMPORTANT IMPACTS ON THE FCST DETAILS.

Tip, you've handled this storm really well over the past few days. Are you sticking to your light to moderate event.

Might be a good idea to define what "light", "moderate", and "major" means quantifiably. Not sure if AMS glossary has them defined for Meteorological parlance, but when I was back in my UML days it was defined as:

2-5" light : advisory

5-10" moderate : warn

10+" major : warn

If there is a formal definition for winter weather types we should stick to that, but using this above I think the range of a light to moderate event is justified, when also considering that this NAM solution is a bit of a QPF amplitude outlier at this time. If the next cycle comes in with another nod from one of the other majors ...like the GFS or Euro teaming up with the UKMET/NAM, we may want to consider.

In fact I would actually consider systemic correction for more if it were not for the fact that this impulse is actually dying in the flow as it is coming through based on the blend of most depictions - although the UKMET offers a tad more phasing, noted.

Archived