• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Henry Margusity thinks it may be a mild winter

Judging from henry Margusity's blog on the accuweather free site today, he seems to be hinting that winter in the east this year may be a lot milder than they were initially thinking, with accuweather planning to release a winter forecast update.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/meteomadness/why-so-warm-in-the-east-severe-wx-and-snow-in-the-forecast/58066

I don't understand the logic. Henry says because this year is a weaker nina it will be warmer than last year. It's the strong nina's that kill us on the EC not the weaker ones. The reason last year was cold was because the ao/nao cooperated. That fought against the typical nina trough west / ridge east.

Not saying that he's wrong about this year being warm in the east but I don't understand his logic.

I don't understand the logic. Henry says because this year is a weaker nina it will be warmer than last year. It's the strong nina's that kill us on the EC not the weaker ones. The reason last year was cold was because the ao/nao cooperated. That fought against the typical nina trough west / ridge east.

Not saying that he's wrong about this year being warm in the east but I don't understand his logic.

A lot of us never have understood him. He's the only forecaster I've ever seen have multiple articles about how people need to stop with the nasty comments

He called for a snowy winter in NNE in 2007-2008.

Dopes anyone here think the possibility exists for a winter like 1993-94 where winter arrives in mid to late december?

It'll come when it comes, 06/07 was dry and mild down here until the end of January, ended up with a 6" sleetpack that stuck around into March if I remember correctly.

How much milder is it in the Capital Region this year. Is it way above normal for November? Seems like a fairly normal November to me. But what do I know. GFS has been hinting at below- normal temps coming in the first week of December, which is the first month of winter. Frankly that timing seems to be "normal". But if I remember correctly, Margusity was on board with Bastardi two winters ago.

Judging from henry Margusity's blog on the accuweather free site today, he seems to be hinting that winter in the east this year may be a lot milder than they were initially thinking, with accuweather planning to release a winter forecast update.

http://www.accuweath...-forecast/58066

Sometimes the 2nd year La Ninas can have a tendency to be less favorable even though they were weaker than the one the prior winter. The reason is that often times La Ninas tend to follow El Ninos, and this one followed a relatively high end moderate El Nino. As a result, the entire atmosphere in 2010-2011 may still have had somewhat of a remnant effect of the El Nino with the highly negative AO being a result, the AO and NAO has had a tendency to average negative more during El Ninos than La Ninas, it did that in 1997-98 though almost nobody remembers that because the Pacific overwhelmed the pattern. In the end, we may now have more of a true La Nina impact on the atmosphere in 2011-2012.

Sometimes the 2nd year La Ninas can have a tendency to be less favorable even though they were weaker than the one the prior winter. The reason is that often times La Ninas tend to follow El Ninos, and this one followed a relatively high end moderate El Nino. As a result, the entire atmosphere in 2010-2011 may still have had somewhat of a remnant effect of the El Nino with the highly negative AO being a result, the AO and NAO has had a tendency to average negative more during El Ninos than La Ninas, it did that in 1997-98 though almost nobody remembers that because the Pacific overwhelmed the pattern. In the end, we may now have more of a true La Nina impact on the atmosphere in 2011-2012.

What sort of Nino leftover could there possibly have been? I'm pretty sure ENSO change from one phase to another requires atmospheric agreement, STJ was dead in 2010/11 if I recall correctly? The GLAAM was very low too so I'm not really sure where I would look to find Nino leftovers? And if the -AO was a result of the Nino leftovers, despite the cold PV and opposing QBO phase suggesting Sun activity influence, what was the deep -AO caused by in 2009?

The STJ is setting up to be far more powerful this winter than last... so how can you say there were Niño remnants last winter but not this winter?

I'm not so sure about that, the winter following the super El Nino of 97-98 was a strong La Nina, and the atmosphere certainly behaved like one. +AO, -PNA, +NAO basically dominated the entire winter.

Archived