• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
November warmup 11/5 - 11/10

SACRUS

Thanks bud. You've been on this for weeks as well. I agree regarding the +EPO.

The entire North Pacific has been one big anomaly since the end of the summer -- and it's amazing to see the consistency. It's gotten even more dramatic today on the GEFS ensemble mean height anomaly maps. Look at the 498mb pink circle in the Gulf of Alaska and -24 to -36 height anomaly shade. At 300 hours!

http://www.meteo.psu...GNH_6z/f300.gif

The Euro ensemble mean is averaging below a -300 m anomaly on it's ten day which could work out to around -400 m to -500 m as we get closer.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pacific continues to look horrible on the Euro.. at least in the near future.. the entire period basically has ridging between 140W - 160W, which is exactly the opposite of what we need.

around 240 the ridge out in the pacific ocean begins to move east, hopefully a sign of things turning.

Wow, temperatures are near 69 degrees in Central Park/Teterboro and 70 degrees in Newark... Last time I checked today's forecast temperatures late last night, I don't remember seeing any model or forecast show over 65 degrees. The latest models now show a shorter lasting torch for the weekend with temperatures not getting much beyond 60 degrees, but with the solid +EPO/-PNA pattern stil in place, the most a shorter torch would do is probably average out next week's temperatures to slightly above average, with the exception of the occasional transient cool spells. The GFS/ECM now apparently try to show a strongly negative PNA returning near Thanksgiving, but I'm not too concerned with any strong -PNA prior to 12/1, considering that the mild pattern is still expected to continue through early December.

Wow, temperatures are near 69 degrees in Central Park/Teterboro and 70 degrees in Newark... Last time I checked today's forecast temperatures late last night, I don't remember seeing any model or forecast show over 65 degrees. The latest models now show a shorter lasting torch for the weekend with temperatures not getting much beyond 60 degrees, but with the solid +EPO/-PNA pattern stil in place, the most a shorter torch would do is probably average out next week's temperatures to slightly above average, with the exception of the occasional transient cool spells. The GFS/ECM now apparently try to show a strongly negative PNA returning near Thanksgiving, but I'm not too concerned with any strong -PNA prior to 12/1, considering that the mild pattern is still expected to continue through early December.

the last 2 months have been an unmitigated blowtorch....(other than the snowstorm)

the last 2 months have been an unmitigated blowtorch....(other than the snowstorm)

It's definitely been a warmer than average fall so far, especially with a frequently positive EPO and the mostly negative PNA pattern developing in early October (although the stronger -PNA didn't become sustained until the start of Nov). The -PNA/+EPO pattern can't possibly hold forever, eventually it has to break down into something that's at least more favorable for the stronger cold to become more sustained over southern/central Canada before dropping into the northern US, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen for a while. With such a strong and persistent -PNA/+EPO pattern, it's going to take time for the mild pattern to fall apart and become colder.

The models and ensembles ,look like have trended more progressive for this weekend and Thanksgiving week. We'll just be in and out of cold and mild airmasses, every few days. This is looks realistic, since the pacific jet will be strengthening and their won't be any real blocking upstream.

The best news is the last few GFS runs boot the west Asian/Russian trough out and put a 500mb ridge in place beyond Day 8. This is the infamous "Cahirs Connection" Joe Bastardi often mentions which creates cross polar flow. The problem in this case though is that the Cahirs Connection will do little if the GOA low is flooding W Canada with mild air.

This will be the most positive EPO reading of the whole run since last summer. The 500 mb negative height anomalies

showing up near Alaska in the forecast would be the lowest that we have seen in a while there. I am not even sure

when the last time was that we saw a -400 m to possibly -500 m or lower value there. So far I have only been able

to find a reading lower than -400 m back in February 1999, but I am not sure what the record is.

2/6/99

Especially because it was the third bad one in a row. We did at least manage a white christmas with that snow on the 24th and a few other events in January and March. I was lucky enough to be in Chicago that winter and was there for the big 1/1/99 event which at the time was their #2 all time storm ( I think surpassed by the blizzard earlier this year)

That 98/99 winter was in of the worst...

This will be the most positive EPO reading of the whole run since last summer. The 500 mb negative height anomalies

showing up near Alaska in the forecast would be the lowest that we have seen in a while there. I am not even sure

when the last time was that we saw a -400 m to possibly -500 m or lower value there. So far I have only been able

to find a reading lower than -400 m back in February 1999, but I am not sure what the record is.

2/6/99

That AK vortex just screams torcharama for the end of Nov into early December. Probably 60-65F with strong T-storm chances with FROPA's the first 10 days of dec.

That AK vortex just screams torcharama for the end of Nov into early December. Probably 60-65F with strong T-storm chances with FROPA's the first 10 days of dec.

yeh it's been awhile that I've seen an AK vortex of that magnitude, we need a massive change to see better results. I hate to say it but i'm starting to get skeptical of any pattern change before Christmas....

Sounds lovely.. It's beginning to seem as though we're getting into a situation, like in past years where we keep putting the cold/pattern change off by a few weeks. First everyone said by mid/late nov. The pattern would switch and now we're talking about post dec. 20th...

As is usually the case we'll see what happens, but we all have to be realistic. This winter may not turn out that great.. Perhaps we get a few 4-6 inch events w/ problems w/ mixing etc.

What we experienced from pretty much march of 2009 to mid January 2011 was no doubt an anomaly.. Storm after storm... It was truly incredible.

Perhaps things begin to change by new years and we can have a decent January... Time will tell...

Jeff

Archived